Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 21:18   #181
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
A short wheel base with AT will be a dream come true, but alas you and I can only dream about it. Extremely unlikely that our wishes will come true.
The Suzuki Jimny with Automatic is the perfect city runabout and weekend getaway vehicle, but alas...
From what i heard when I spoke with few acquaintance in the Mahindra City area, all confirmed that the new Thar will include Automatic (met one person today who is working in the department which takes care of Engine, Transmission, BS6, ...). My first gen Figo is due for replacement and Thar with Auto is on top of my list now.

The expected launch date is April 2020. I am keeping my eyes open to get a close encounter with the test mules.
r_devakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 21:35   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post

The expected launch date is April 2020. I am keeping my eyes open to get a close encounter with the test mules.
Only Diesel version is on the cards to be revealed in the Auto Expo Feb-2020. And AT is available with Petrol version only and they are all in the pipeline.

Are you sure about your source and April 2020?

Last edited by mpp19 : 16th May 2019 at 21:38.
Old 17th May 2019, 10:56   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
all confirmed that the new Thar will include Automatic (met one person today who is working in the department which takes care of Engine, Transmission, BS6, ...).

This is great news. I hope it comes true. The new Thar which sill be lot more improved in just about every way from the current gen one with an automatic will appeal to am much wider segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp19 View Post
Only Diesel version is on the cards to be revealed in the Auto Expo Feb-2020. And AT is available with Petrol version only and they are all in the pipeline.

The new Thar is essentially a shrunk Scorpio. Hence any power-train combination available on the Scorpio can be easily made available on the Thar if the appetite exists in Mahindra.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 13:42   #184
BHPian

Came straight here to check when Autocar broke this story 10 minutes ago. Couldn't find the post so pasting a screenshot.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558512669.398187.jpgThe 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558512687.661388.jpg
Vijayraj1890 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 21:23   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayraj1890 View Post
Came straight here to check when Autocar broke this story 10 minutes ago. Couldn't find the post so pasting a screenshot.
Bingo! Just cant resist to check out news about the upcoming Thar! Here is the link https://www.rushlane.com/next-gen-ma...11188.html/amp

Last edited by karthikd21 : 22nd May 2019 at 21:24.
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:07   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The new Thar is essentially a shrunk Scorpio. Hence any power-train combination available on the Scorpio can be easily made available on the Thar if the appetite exists in Mahindra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp19 View Post
What i heard is that Auto will be available on both Diesel and Petrol.

Few other details: Scorpio may undergo some changes (based on the initial feedback that it is not looking like a 'SCORPIO' in the new design) and may get delayed. New BS6 engine could come to the existing models before the new platform/models.
r_devakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:56   #187
BHPian

Quote:
What i heard is that Auto will be available on both Diesel and Petrol.
Have you heard anything about front facing rear seats yet? It's a deal breaker for me if the nee That doesn't come with one 😣
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 08:00   #188
BHPian

Finally! The addition of a factory fitted hard top immediately puts the Thar on my shortlist because it appears to also work as a primary family 'car' now. Side facing rear seats should be a fairly easy fix but really hope safety features are not ignored.
YakubKC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 06:54   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post
Side facing rear seats should be a fairly easy fix but really hope safety features are not ignored.
Right. But, it won't be safety tested with it right? Fitting seat belts as well is a hack and would be crash tested if it comes as factory fitted!
Old 27th May 2019, 09:35   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post
Side facing rear seats should be a fairly easy fix but really hope safety features are not ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
Right. But, it won't be safety tested with it right?

I am curious how the soft top version will clear the passenger safety test for rear passengers if any. The Jeep Wrangler has a roll-cage inside for both hard and soft top versions. Mahindra has a roll-cage for the export version which has the seat belt attachment points. My guess is that this will have to given as OE or as an accessory.

The European safety regulation doesn't allow side facing seats as there is no whiplash/neck protection when the seats are side facing. I don't know the what the new rules for India Mandate.

However, given the larger dimension, I think it will be much easier to integrate the front facing rear seats.
Old 27th May 2019, 09:39   #191
Senior - BHPian

Oh man. Hope they go all the way an offer a full-blown 4-door, hard top, forward facing rear seats variant, with interior niceties. Like a Wrangler. Would be a nice SUV to have.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th May 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Typo
Old 28th May 2019, 21:01   #192
BHPian

Today got a chance to have a close look. The new Thar expected to have front facing second row seats with seat belts (but this test mule has side facing seats). The seats and fabrics looked good.

Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar.jpg  

r_devakumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 08:29   #193
Senior - BHPian

Exclusive: Mahindra Thar Signature Edition to feature dual-front airbags

Source Article

Quote:
Yesterday, a few images of the Mahindra Thar Signature Edition had leaked online. IAB has learnt that the Mahindra That Signature Edition will come equipped with not only ABS but also dual-front airbags.

While ABS became mandatory on 1 April 2019, driver airbag will become mandatory for M1 category vehicles on 1 July 2019. The Mahindra Thar is equipped with neither. The Mahindra Thar Signature Edition was known to come with ABS. In addition, sources tell us that it will be equipped with a driver airbag and a front passenger airbag as well. So, the limited-run model will have a new steering wheel and a redesigned dashboard, in order to accommodate the airbags. The Signature Edition, will indeed, be special that way.

Mahindra will bid adieu to the first generation Thar with the Signature Edition. It will offer this model in two exclusive colours: Napoli Black and Aqua Marine. The styling quotient will be enhanced with black decals on the bonnet lid along with silver finishes on the front bumper, a special ‘Signature Edition’ badge on its fenders with Anand Mahindra's signature, and the 5-spoke, 15-inch alloy wheels from the previous-gen Mahindra Scorpio and the Marksman.

The Mahindra Thar Signature Edition will be more spacious with a wider cabin. Other interior exclusivities will include front-facing rear seats and leatherette seat covers with Thar branding.

The Mahindra Thar Signature Edition will be powered by the 2.5L CRDe diesel engine, which delivers 79 kW (107.41 PS) and 247 Nm of torque. The engine will come mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The launch will likely take place next month, and only 700 units will be sold. The next-gen Mahindra Thar is expected to debut at Auto Expo 2020.
P.S. - I don't believe the part in bold where they have said that it'll have a wider cabin and front facing seats in the Signature Edition, maybe they wanted to write the Facelifted That will have these features, and wrote Signature Edition instead.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 10:20   #194
BHPian

hi , hope everyone is doing well. Its been sometime i posted on BHP.

I have a Nov 2015 Model Thar, the last facelift that happened. i have driven close to 70k in this period.

i was quite close to selling my Thar this year and was looking for something with safety features. Recently i test drove the Harrier and was suitably impressed by it.

But now with a whole range of Mahindra vehicles coming i have decided to hang onto my Thar till March-Apr 2020. Hopefully by then the Thar 2020 will be out also details of the upcoming Scorpio & XUV500.

from whatever ive read my understanding is that there will be a Signature edition in October 2019 which will have ABS. And now rumors are saying Airbags too.

So does it make sense to wait for the 2020 Thar or get the same 2.6 CRDE engine powered Thar Signature edition. The 2.6 is a brilliant engine, i had it in my Scorpio also. its a known devil !

What are your thoughts ?
Old 31st May 2019, 10:24   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Exclusive: Mahindra Thar Signature Edition to feature dual-front airbags

Source Article

P.S. - I don't believe the part in bold where they have said that it'll have a wider cabin and front facing seats in the Signature Edition, maybe they wanted to write the Facelifted That will have these features, and wrote Signature Edition instead.
While driver airbag could be true, but I dont see Mahindra updating the dashboard for a second airbag. (just like what Maruti did with the eeco). Wider cabin? Doubt it because the pictures posted by ACI show the same body.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks