Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2020, 09:26   #751
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

After going through recent updates in this thread, i would like to state my opinions about the upcoming New Thar as follows:

Majority of the population LOVES this Jeep body form, so do I, as it has a timeless charm about it. But when it comes to buying such a car, we have only two options in the market -

A. Mahindra Thar - which had substandard quality till date which made it unsuitable for both -
i. People who have budget for one car only but are willing to compromise a little on practicality for this form factor.
ii. People who have the budget for the multiple cars at home but they expect certain quality and specifications in the product even if it comes at additional price because they are used to that in their other vehicles and cant step down much.

B. Jeep Wrangler - its ridiculous CBU pricing make it unsuitable for both -
i. People who have budget for one car at home simply couldnt even dream it.
ii. People who have budget for multiple cars at home saw the required quality and specification in the product but still couldnt see the value in the product and stayed away.

Now solution to this are following:
A. Jeep manufactures the Wrangler in India so that it can be priced below 40 L OTR price which will certainly make it a good success. But, with FCA's lethargic approach, this seems unlikely.
B. Mahindra ups its quality and specification game so that Thar has acceptable QUALITY AND SPECIFICATIONS even if it means higher prices, for the people who have single car budget and also for those who have budget for multiple cars at home.

Now what should be the specifications and quality expectations for such product:

1. Overall Fit and finish levels should be at least at the Duster/Nexon levels. All the other design aspects of the car should be well engineered making it reliable for long term.
2. Engine should be ideally 2.0 L and above diesel/petrol with minimum 130-140 HP
3. At least one variant with Automatic Transmission + 4WD is a must have, even if this particular variant will cost more that expected (upto 20 L OTR?), it will pull in lots of customers who have budget for a dedicated lifestyle car and there are many such people.
4. Seating comfort for two rows of forward facing seats should be acceptable enough for long trips where the vehicle is supposed to go.

How much should such a Thar cost?
Currently people who buy compact SUVs spend anywhere between 10 L (Nexon lower variants) - 21 L (Seltos top variants). These are either used as the only car or one among many cars at home. If Thar with above said specifications in various variants is made available in this 15-20 L OTR price spread, it can certainly eat a big number in this currently hottest segment of compact SUVs and it can certainly sell more than 1500-2000 units/per month primarily because of its FORM FACTOR and also for its offroad/adventure tourer vehicle capabilities. Once Mahindra establishes this product in the market, it will also enjoy sustained monopoly/sales as no other manufacturer can provide this extremely desirable body form at those prices.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 17th May 2020 at 09:37.
46TheDoctor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 14:06   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted at a parking lot by an IndianAuto reader.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-newgen2020mahindrathar.jpeg
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:08   #753
BHPian

Just received a call from the Mahindra dealership informing me that they are now accepting bookings for the 2020 Thar. The launch is expected in August, but they have no specifications or further information about the vehicle itself.
YakubKC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:42   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post
Just received a call from the Mahindra dealership informing me that they are now accepting bookings for the 2020 Thar.
These are unofficial dealer gimmicks to get some short term funding. Please allow them to roll you booking amount interest free for two months . You will be helping the Indian economy.

Dealer Says "Sorry, we don't have any details about the vehicle, including the price specifications, not even a proper picture, but we need your 10K or 25K for a couple of weeks, because if we take from our OD account, bank will charge us interest."

I am sure for a halo model like the 2020 Thar, Mahindra will give enough publicity for the launch, booking and/or pre-booking. My advice would be to hold your horses and your checkbook until then.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 3rd June 2020 at 16:49.
4x4addict is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:51   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are now accepting bookings for the 2020 Thar. The launch is expected in August, but they have no specifications or further information about the vehicle itself.
Come on, would they please mind showing a picture of the vehicle at least and also a proper view of that goddam rear seat, before receiving the booking amount. Tired of seeing those torn out dusty camouflaged spy pictures. It has been a long wait.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd June 2020 at 16:55.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:13   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
These are unofficial dealer gimmicks to get some short term funding. Please allow them to roll you booking amount interest free for two months . You will be helping the Indian economy.
I would agree. If the news is true, we should have seen a production ready photograph without any camo or there should have been a e-reveal as it would become the norm pretty soon.

The dealers are not calling all the customers for sure. I am still a Scorpio owner and haven't received any communication, though I have told the dealer multiple times, I would be interested if the package is right

Best option is to wait and watch. Money will be tight post COVID and any approach to get free money will eventually be through schemes like this
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:17   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
The dealers are not calling all the customers for sure. I am still a Scorpio owner and haven't received any communication, though I have told the dealer multiple times, I would be interested if the package is right
The GM of my local dealership is a good friend as myself and my friends have been buying multiple Mahindra vehicles from him. He too would have definitely called me first thing, if there was some official news/pre-booking. My Thar is pushing 8 years now, and he knows, that I am ready for an upgrade . So, I doubt this pre-booking is officially sanctioned by Mahindra.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:26   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they are now accepting bookings for the 2020 Thar.
I just casually checked on this with a nearby dealer and it is indeed happening. They are also taking pre-bookings, 15K (refundable). No specifications or any more details available.

When asked for at-least if a picture is available, below is what I got. With a disclaimer saying - The actual photo will be different from what is shown.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-new-thar.jpeg

What is M&M trying to convey by publicizing a different version (fancy?) in the name of Thar, or is this the actual new Thar? If so, this can straightaway go into our weird and wacky mods thread as soon as it launches.

This surely looks like a gimmick.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th June 2020 at 13:37.
Old 5th June 2020, 13:31   #759
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What is M&M trying to convey by publicizing an a different version (fancy?) in the name of Thar, or is this the actual new Thar?
That picture looks like some Jugaad. Just take a look at the bonnet and the grille etc. I do not think the new Thar would be this weird looking.
This frankly looks like something that was cobbled together by some local mechanic. Like a Thar which has become infected with COVID or something.

And it looks nothing like those spy pics that have been circulating for quite a while...

Quote:
The GM of my local dealership is a good friend as myself and my friends have been buying multiple Mahindra vehicles from him. He too would have definitely called me first thing, if there was some official news/pre-booking. My Thar is pushing 8 years now, and he knows, that I am ready for an upgrade . So, I doubt this pre-booking is officially sanctioned by Mahindra.
Will you be buying a new Thar?
Did you like the Thar 700 Limited Edition?
There is one near my house and I see it every morning on my walk.
It is in that nice Deep Blue shade and I rather like its looks.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th June 2020 at 15:15. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:42   #760
BHPian

Quote:
I just casually checked on this with a nearby dealer and it is indeed happening. They are also taking pre-bookings, 15K (refundable). No specifications or any more details available.
When asked for at-least if a picture is available, below is what I got. With a disclaimer saying - The actual photo will be different from what is shown.
Can you please send the following link and ask him to see the third picture with the caption in the carousel dated from the 2019 Kochi Thar Fest?
https://www.mahindraadventure.com/tharfest/
I am posting a screenshot here too.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-capture.jpg

Last edited by Researcher : 5th June 2020 at 13:44.
Researcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:51   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Can you please send the following link and ask him to see the third picture with the caption in the carousel dated from the 2019 Kochi Thar Fest?
Heck!

The spy pictures that we were seeing is far better. He could have at least sent me the photo of the previous Thar, per se, if his intention was just to show me what a THAR looks like.

I may have done this pre-booking, now this non sense really makes me think again.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 10:36   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is M&M trying to convey by publicizing a different version (fancy?)
This surely looks like a gimmick.
I don't think it is fair to hold M&M accountable as they have not given any official press release/advertisement regarding the pre-booking. What has M&M got to if people are unable to use common sense/judgement. We all know how ethical car dealers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Will you be buying a new Thar?
Did you like the Thar 700 Limited Edition?
The current version is really long in the tooth and crude. The 700 is basically same Thar with more lipstick and ABS. I really don't want to go through the hazzle of getting after market hard top, changing to front facing seats, etc, etc.

The 2020 Thar will be leagues ahead of the current one in terms, of ergonomics, features, power-train, safety etc. Besides, it comes with Roll Cage, Hard Top, Front facing rear seats, etc, etc from the company itself. So, I would rather just pay a premium and get a properly kitted vehicle rather than do all this outside. The new Thar and new Scorpio was envisioned to a large extent at Mahindra's North American Technical Center. In my opinion, American's know a thing or two about SUVs, so I feel it will be leagues ahead of the current Thar.

Besides, some of the spy pictures have been showing an automatic version. This is what I am looking for. Anyways, I will wait for a couple of months after release because I don't want to be the guinea pig. I never buy any completely new model in the first year.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 20:55   #763
Senior - BHPian

I think the least M&M could do was to officially refute these bookings. By not doing so they are encouraging the dealers indirectly. Show the control or the lack of it on their dealers.

Ultimately it is the principal's responsibility, claiming to be unaware of what's happening is not an excuse.
Old 7th June 2020, 10:05   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I think the least M&M could do was to officially refute these bookings.
True. One individual posts it on team-bhp M&M should keep monitoring this thread.
Old 7th June 2020, 10:13   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. One individual posts it on team-bhp M&M should keep monitoring this thread.
It's all over the news, many auto portals are reporting the same and quoting the thread.

It may be on twitter as well, although I haven't checked.

So M&M should be aware and rein it in.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed