Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 22:22   #826
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Is no one going to talk about wheel-spin at the end of the video? Wheels spinning in a diesel SUV with AT? Wow? I'm impressed. Icing on the cake is removable hard-top. I am waiting anxiously for its launch. Hope Mahindra doesn't do a Wrangler with the pricing.

Traveler, we must ignore the blue smoke because it's a test vehicle and God knows how many KMs it must have been driven for and what fashion it may have been driven in. They must have pulled all kinds of test on it. Idling, redlining in each gear, et al.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 23:29   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Is no one going to talk about wheel-spin at the end of the video? Wheels spinning in a diesel SUV with AT? Wow? I'm impressed. Icing on the cake is removable hard-top. I am waiting anxiously for its launch. Hope Mahindra doesn't do a Wrangler with the pricing.

Traveler, we must ignore the blue smoke because it's a test vehicle and God knows how many KMs it must have been driven for and what fashion it may have been driven in. They must have pulled all kinds of test on it. Idling, redlining in each gear, et al.
Looks like the tyre went over a stone and spun. Doesn't look like a power wheel spin.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 10:48   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar Diesel Automatic Spotted Testing.

Quote:
The new Mahindra Thar, which is currently expected to be launched in India in October 2020, will come with a diesel automatic option for the first time. Mahindra will also offer a turbo-petrol option.
Quote:
The new Mahindra Thar will also feature a multi-functional steering wheel, cruise control and an MID unit
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-v1r2951k_mahindrathardieselautomaticspottedtesting_625x300_18_june_20.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-9r222ko_mahindrathardieselautomaticspottedtesting_625x300_18_june_20.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-c72vaj4s_mahindrathardieselautomaticspottedtesting_625x300_18_june_20.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th June 2020 at 10:49.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 11:09   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar Diesel Automatic Spotted Testing.
A video here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4826207

Last edited by balenoed_ : 19th June 2020 at 11:11.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 13:26   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

While Corona has caused this delay, I also hope this will help Mahindra launch all the drivetrain options at one go- rather than in a staged manner with only the diesel manual launching first - as initially rumoured.
I fully agree with quote in block. As GTO wrote somewhere, second/third semi-launches of same car with feature additions are quite irrelevant. No one bothers any more. Get all variants in one go. Like Seltos/Creta. Anyone who walks in for a Thar should have a variant that suits him.
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 16:17   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
While that is great news enthusiasts, for prospective buyers - it definitely should be a marker for patience.
This is definitely a concern. However, Mahindra has been fairly good with extensive testing. Remember when the 2.2 mhawk was launched. There where not too many major issues and it has proven to be a brilliant engine. However, the DICOR 2.2 was prone to issues until Tata's eventually had some 6 iterations of timing belt and pulley designs. If, I recall the last and stable iteration of the timing belt set up was the Type F version of the timing belt.

But, I do agree with you that it maybe better to wait.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 19:34   #832
BHPian

What are those set of buttons to the right of the driver, next to the steering wheel? Drive mode selection?The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar.jpg
Madhu_Bengaluru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 21:07   #833
BHPian

Saw this video posted on YouTube: You can hear the sound clearly.
sanjaykk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 23:16   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhu_Bengaluru View Post
What are those set of buttons to the right of the driver, next to the steering wheel?
Found a close up view else where on another video:

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-123.jpg

Hill descent control, EBD off, Head light beam adjustment (guess), fog lamp (guess)..
balenoed_ is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 23:31   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Please read up about the technology that has gone into the TGDI engine before we compare it with the standard MPFI Engines of the past.
Thanks for the link, which you had shared in your earlier post also. It gives specs and also details into the construction of the three new mStallion engines from M&M.

I regret, I was not able to make clear what I implied.

What I meant is, usually the new gen engines from M&M, when launched (especially Marazzo's D15 engine), are the best in the country in terms of specific output.

For reference, please find specs below, of the D15 engine with other 1.5lit Diesel engines in the market. The Vento 1.5lit Diesel engine, below, has not been upgraded to BS6 (meaning it will not be available in the market any further).

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-d15-diesels.jpg

By that standards, this new mStallion G20 engine (which is rumoured to be coming up in Thar) is achieving only what has been already achieved by Compass's 1.4lit. engine. (Please refer to the specific output comparison in my earlier post.)

As for technology, my understanding of the progress of Petrol engines is as below:

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-si-engine-tech.jpg

There could be many other fuel system related trademarks also, which I am not aware of/not mentioned here. Plus, the vehicle models are relevant to our country only. Worldwide, there would many more vehicle models in each category.
zaheermk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 09:26   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheermk View Post
For reference, please find specs below, of the D15 engine with other 1.5lit Diesel engines in the market. The Vento 1.5lit Diesel engine, below, has not been upgraded to BS6 (meaning it will not be available in the market any further).
I don't think we can make this comparison without seeing the Torque Curves of these engines and the fuel efficiency. Too early to compare based on topline output numbers.

The mstallion is a long stroke engine which has a better bottom end torque bias. And many of the improvements have gone into reducing friction improving fuel efficiency etc. And by no means am I saying that Fiat 1.4 is bad. My comparison is about the 2.0tgdi vs the 2.2 mhawk option in the Thar. Not with other manufactures as we can only pick engine options from Mahindra.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 21:56   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I don't think we can make this comparison without seeing the Torque Curves of these engines and the fuel efficiency. Too early to compare based on topline output numbers.
Bro, if you check my post, I mentioned only specific output and by specific output, I meant Torque/unit Disp. (Nm/lit.) & Power/unit Disp. (ps/lit.) and not about Fuel Efficiency. And in terms of both these specific outputs, D15 engine is the best-in-segment in the country (and maybe in the world?), which is clear from the table in my earlier post. And I didn't understand why you need the torque curve for comparing the specific torque.

Specific Fuel Consumption/Thermal Efficiency might or might not be the best, but that we don't have values and so, can't compare. While comparing engines, it would not be right to compare vehicle-level Fuel Consumption, since the Kerb Weight & Gear Ratios differ from vehicle to vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
While Corona has caused this delay, I also hope this will help Mahindra launch all the drivetrain options at one go- rather than in a staged manner with only the diesel manual launching first - as initially rumoured.
True. I also feel that both Tata & Mahindra needs to stop the phase-wise launches of their new vehicle models. Launching Automatic versions at a later stage, deprives initial customers of the option which could force them to go for competitor vehicles. And if there is a performance hike in the later versions, it would be disappointing for the initial customers. This is one of the major reasons, why most people say to wait for 1-2 years, when Tata or Mahindra launch a new model.

Combining a performance hike along with the emission norms upgradation (transition from BS4 to BS6) is acceptable, but not in between the regular life cycle. I suggest a model should be held on to at least for 5-6 years, so that parts availability and resale value is upheld even after it is phased out.

Examples of staged/phase-wise launches, from Tata:
Tiago MT, 2016 & Tiago AMT, 2017
Nexon MT, 2017 & Nexon AMT, 2018
Harrier MT, 2019 & Harrier AT(TC), 2020

Examples of staged/phase-wise launches, from Mahindra:
XUV500 MT, 2011 & XUV500 AT(TC), 2016
XUV300 MT, 2019 & XUV300 AMT, 2019 later

On the contrary, Kia did an all options flat out, with the Seltos:
Seltos Petrol 1.5lit. MPi - MT & CVT
Seltos Petrol 1.4lit. GDi - MT & DCT
Seltos Diesel 1.5lit. CRDi - MT & AT(TC)
With price ranging from ~10L to ~18L. All of this in one go - in 2019.

I feel Mahindra need to benchmark the launch pattern of Kia Seltos for its new-gen Thar. Delay 3-4 months, if required, but launch the Petrol & Diesel, Manual & Auto, Soft Top & Hard Top, all other variants/options available in one go. One individual/family would be buying only one variant, but it is a feel-good factor when there are a lot of options to choose from and it sure gives them assurance that the model is fully baked and here to stay.

Plus spread the pricing to start from 10L onwards, for the barebones Diesel & Petrol MT version with only AC, PS, ABS & SRS, so that the Thar would be an easily procurable vehicle for use as a lifestyle vehicle. And the next higher version (top-end) with the comfort features and 4WD for those who want to go real off-roading.

Quote:
I feel they should price this vehicle starting from 10L - 15L (obviously excluding the above dealer level accessories).

I also feel they should not look to make high profit margins from this vehicle. Rather they should use this vehicle to retain/recreate their brand’s glory.
I also think there need be only two levels (base, T4 and top-end, T8) in all the four variants, suggested in my above post.
So, Petrol Auto T4 & T8
Petrol Manual T4 & T4
Diesel Auto T4 & T8
& Diesel Manual T4 & T8.

On second thought, 10L might be too much (I mean, too less a price) to ask for, since the present Thar itself retails at 10L. So, this being a larger vehicle with a longer list of features, a starting price of 12L (till 18L for the top-end?), would be more realistic. But it is to be noted that, the higher the price of the base variant goes up, the farther the Thar brand becomes away from the reach of the common-folk Thar enthusiasts. With the features shown in photos/posts above mine, I think the new gen Thar can easily become an aspirational competitor to the compact/SUVs like Creta, Seltos, Compass etc.

Not sure, but terrain mode selection (Auto, Mud, Sand, Snow, Rock), like in the Compass, might be too much to ask for at this price point. Again, if safety regulations permit, I would like the new Thar to also have foldable windshield (which should be possible at customer end), so that it can also be used as a fully Open Top vehicle (both jeeps in the below images have four front facing seats, similar to how it could be in the new Thar). I mean, this vehicle should be able to be applied in multiple use cases, in whichever way, a customer chooses to use it as a lifestyle vehicle.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-whiteopentopjeep2.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-jeep7.jpg
zaheermk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 15:52   #838
BHPian

Eagerly looking forward to the Thar 2020! This could turn out to be the perfect balance between Off-road functionality, On-road performance and aspirational value. I wouldn't mind stepping out for a drive around town in the new Thar.
kunalsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:05   #839
BHPian

Quote:
On second thought, 10L might be too much (I mean, too less a price) to ask for, since the present Thar itself retails at 10L. So, this being a larger vehicle with a longer list of features, a starting price of 12L (till 18L for the top-end?), would be more realistic
I disagree. Why can't we Indians enjoy fair pricing for a moment? As it is vehicles are overpriced here. We really don't want a repeat of the Fortuner/5 Series pricing with the Thar as well.
vredesbyrd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:43   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I disagree. Why can't we Indians enjoy fair pricing for a moment? As it is vehicles are overpriced here. We really don't want a repeat of the Fortuner/5 Series pricing with the Thar as well.
Usually M&M is reasonable with pricing (is what people say). And as per a conversation that I had with a sales manager at a nearby showroom, on whether the new Thar would touch 18-20L, he said very unlikely. He is optimistic that it wouldn't jump up way too high like what we speculate.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed