Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:43   #841

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

I hope the Thar follows the Wranglers' way of having different models to cater to different folks. I for one would definitely prefer to have it as a primary vehicle and not a toy for the weekends.
JonSamuel07 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:18   #842
Senior - BHPian

Guys! I saw the new Thar getting tested in the outskirts of Chennai today morning. They were being driven quite hard, with speeds being maintained around 120-130kmph. It's definetly got some grunt. Besides, didn't notice too much body roll or anything like that and seemed pretty sorted. Which is welcome for a ladder on frame butch SUV
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:08   #843
BHPian

In my opinion 18-20L on-road for Thar doesn't make any sense at all. On-road prices for previous gen was coming near to 11.5L for top variant, so even with an auto box ideally it should be less than 16L on-road to be a value for money package.
GT145 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:24   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Guys! I saw the new Thar getting tested in the outskirts of Chennai today morning. They were being driven quite hard, with speeds being maintained around 120-130kmph. It's definetly got some grunt. Besides, didn't notice too much body roll or anything like that and seemed pretty sorted. Which is welcome for a ladder on frame butch SUV
True that. Just before the lockdown, I was travelling to Kochi from Chennai and had the company of a Thar test car for a considerable amount of time. The jeep was taking off like a thorough modern vehicle and the 2.2 Dicor I was driving found it hard to keep up with it. Did not take pictures or videos as I was alone in the car. This could double up as a decent mile muncher while having good off road credentials. I am eagerly waiting. If I can get one for around 14L OTR, I might buy one. I think it would be worth it.
DieselAddikt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:08   #845
Senior - BHPian

Apart from these highway cruising tests that we are seeing off late, would there be tests conducted to check on the vehicle dynamics. I am sure there would be, but where and how are those conducted - any thoughts? Especially now that it is predicted to have a 190bhp/380NM petrol motor, hope it doesn't throw a surprise w.r.t to body roll characteristics and things like that.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:08   #846
BHPian

The Thar is super overpriced for what it offers. Most buyers were willing to make significan compromises or it isn't their only car. But now that the next gen does seem to be a daily driver + lifestyle vehicle, M&M should look at a pricing that is only marginally higher than the current gen for it to make any dent in the market. They must have made fat profits on every car sold in the current gen. Time for penance!
veyron_head is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:15   #847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Apart from these highway cruising tests that we are seeing off late, would there be tests conducted to check on the vehicle dynamics. I am sure there would be, but where and how are those conducted - any thoughts? Especially now that it is predicted to have a 190bhp/380NM petrol motor, hope it doesn't throw a surprise w.r.t to body roll characteristics and things like that.
Of course body roll is expected in a ladder frame based vehicle, but Thar will be relatively better compared to SUVs like the Scorpio or Safari.

Softop or even hardtop weights significantly lesser than the proper body of these SUVs, thus shifting the CG lower. In fact, the outgoing Thar isn't bad at it either.

What I absolutely hated in the outgoing Thar were the squeeks and groans as the vehicle struggles to cop up with forces when driven in anything but mild conditions. Hope that is taken care of with the new one.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:23   #848
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Usually M&M is reasonable with pricing (is what people say). And as per a conversation that I had with a sales manager at a nearby showroom, on whether the new Thar would touch 18-20L, he said very unlikely. He is optimistic that it wouldn't jump up way too high like what we speculate.
Very well. Fingers crossed and good tailwinds, sir. Hoping to be able to go for this instead of an old 2012-14 Fortuner.
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:59   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I disagree. Why can't we Indians enjoy fair pricing for a moment? As it is vehicles are overpriced here.
Point well taken and I also agree to each bit with you. I would also go on to say that along with vehicles, fuels are also overpriced in our country! And which, when the crude oil price goes up, we will be passed on the hike, but when the crude oil price goes down, we won't get that relief!

Now, if you look back at my earlier post, I was saying, realistically, since the present Thar itself retails at 10L (which is one level smaller than the new-gen Thar with a next-gen BS6 engine, and just a raw UV, not an SUV), I doubt if Mahindra will launch the new Thar starting under 12L, although I would love to have the base new-gen Thar for 10-11L.

Name:  Thar BS4 Price.png
Views: 5027
Size:  28.5 KB
NOTE: This is the present BS4 THAR price list, from the www.mahindrathar.com site.

And if they could magically manage to work out the costing and launch the base variant under 10L, I think the best beneficiary would be the company themselves, due to much higher probable sales volumes.

Quote:
Usually M&M is reasonable with pricing (is what people say). And as per a conversation that I had with a sales manager at a nearby showroom, on whether the new Thar would touch 18-20L, he said very unlikely. He is optimistic that it wouldn't jump up way too high like what we speculate.
I also thought so, till they launched the XUV300 last year when I thought they should have priced the base variants for at least a lakh less.

Felt exactly like how Hyundai launched the Accent CRDi in 1999, when their MD was asked why the car is priced so high, he claimed, they have launched the Common-rail technology first in the country (for the common man), why can't they charge a premium? (For the record, Mercedes Benz had launched their first Common-rail, CDI engined car in the country almost a year before Hyundai, but they don't fall under the common man's category, so not many people took notice.)

Similarly, the XUV300 is also ahead of its competition both in terms of technology and performance, but, since we Indians are too obsessed with foreign goods, when Korean Hyundai did that, we were willing to pay, but when our own Mahindra tries that, we are shy to pay what is worth to them!

Thanks to our Indian mindset (that includes me too - I also bought a Hyundai Verna, although pre-owned), Hyundai was lucky to get themselves established in our country, while even with excellent products from our own Tata & Mahindra, they are struggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
In my opinion 18-20L on-road for Thar doesn't make any sense at all. On-road prices for previous gen was coming near to 11.5L for top variant, so even with an auto box ideally it should be less than 16L on-road to be a value for money package.
I wish they launch the base versions at 11-12L and the top-end at 15-16L. (Right, now I also feel my previous estimation of 18L for the top-end looks unnecessarily high). The base version could cater to those who would be considering it as a second/recreational vehicle, whereas those who want it as their primary vehicle can buy the top-end, instead of a Duster/Creta/Seltos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
While its almost guaranteed Thar is going to offer a petrol variant, supposedly the mStallion 2.0L, I still think Mahindra won't offer the max output (190hp) that engine is capable of. It's more likely to be detuned to around 150-160hp.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is there any new buzz on a NEW 2.0L diesel? If not, I am pretty sure, the Thar will pick up the 2.2 mHawk engine (BS6) and configuration pretty similar to the present-gen Scorpio (120-130hp).

Another point to note, with all this size gain, how much heavier is the Thar going to get?
Very true. I also feel the mStallion 2.0lit. would be tuned down in the Thar, so that they could keep the max. rated 2.0lit for their flagship model, which could be the upcoming new-gen XUV500.

Yes, the next-gen mHawk 2.2lit. from the new-gen Scorpio/XUV500, again slightly detuned, looks like the Diesel option.

I found the present-gen BS4 Diesel Thar to be 1750kg, from the net. From there I considered a 100kg hike for the BS6 Petrol Thar (1850kg) and another 50kg higher for the BS6 Diesel Thar (1900kg). Any weight estimation experts here, please comment/correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebarshiSharma View Post
If I am not wrong, only the top-end hardtop version of the upcoming Mahindra Thar is expected to come with a front-facing seat.
Please, Mahindra, don’t do that. Please don’t give the next-gen Thar a people-mover image. There should be only front-facing seats (if space permits, captain seats at the rear too), for this vehicle to have only a lifestyle vehicle image. (Hope Mahindra sees this!)
zaheermk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:34   #850
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I agree absolutely. Usually there's only one way a manufacturer makes the price go on an update/upgrade. Up. Since the current top-end hits 10L, let's hope the low starts at 10, mid at 12 and top-end at 14L. That would be pretty feasible and I want something to slap the cake out of Creta's greedy little hands (no offense, Creta owners). Besides, I also don't see the initially rumored full-LED headlights anywhere. Not worth risking the warranty for some fancy shiny domes anyway.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 14:44   #851
BANNED

Here's a render of a 4 door Thar by SRK
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindrathar4door2020renderinge9d9.jpg  

turbo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 15:16   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
They were being driven quite hard, with speeds being maintained around 120-130kmph
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
The jeep was taking off like a thorough modern vehicle and the 2.2 Dicor I was driving found it hard to keep up with it
now that is good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Something about boxy cars that makes me sit up and take notice. Love the design and hope the new Thar look this classy.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 15:40   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I understand this is a render and has no relation to the original design. But If that is how it is going to look, Mahindra better start preparing for the trial against FCA. I hope they have learnt from previous mistakes and have realized that they are now a global manufacturer and not an India only player.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 24th June 2020 at 15:44.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 22:00   #854

Quote:
I am involved in component testing of the new Thar and have driven both the AT petrol and manual diesel pre-homologation vehicles..and i can say that theres still a lot of body roll. However, impressed by the refinement M&M achieved on both the engines. And no body squeaks too....
ka_sieben is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 05:48   #855
Senior - BHPian

I hope Mahindra offers 4wd as standard in all variants. I may take a keen look at a petrol AT 4WD version.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks