Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 15:22   #931
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

While the car looks smashing - I only hope Jeep doesn’t sue M&M for copying the Wrangler

If I’ve big ones in the future, I might even go at this car and swap in some big wheels to match the macho looks!
Old 5th August 2020, 16:25   #932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Adding two more recent spy shots!
For the significant width of the car, I've been noticing in the recent spy shots - the LHS ORVM is placed too close to the left A pillar. I'm not sure if it will be too easy to get good quick visual on LHS rear while driving. Considering the typical Mahindra short front seat area (and window area) - the driver sure would have to turn quite a bit to glance at the LHS ORVM. Also - keeping it too close to the pillar might not be optimum. Interesting to see a feedback on this once reviews start coming in.
Old 5th August 2020, 16:30   #933
Senior - BHPian

Also, Won't there be no a step here?

Height is quite high if there is no step and now especially when this face-lift is also branded as a family vehicle. Or is it just that a test mule and the step will come on when production ready.

Will go well with off-roading, but just that family part is what the concern about.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_202008040945432.jpeg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th August 2020 at 16:45.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 16:37   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Height is quite high if there is no step and now especially when this face-lift is also branded as a family car. Or is it just that a test mule and the step will come on when production ready.
I think it will not come at all with steps, even for the side. Those will be made available as an accessory. I'm guessing this because they did the same with the Alturas.

So this way the hardcore offroad enthusiasts get a better GC and lesser surfaces to scrape, and family people can get them installed for ease of accessibility. Or perhaps a detachable format for the best of both worlds? I guess I might be dreaming for the last part!

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 5th August 2020 at 16:41.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 17:33   #935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why?

The rear seats are front facing now. So shouldn't the access be from the front passenger side door only?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 17:43   #936
BHPian

Thar 2020 gonna look so much sophisticated than ever , can't wait to see it ! Almost there like a licensed local manufacturing of the real Jeep wrangler JK .
Mahindra may launch it in a very wide price band , and this launch will start the chain of new generation product launches from the manufacturer.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 5th August 2020 at 18:13.
Old 5th August 2020, 18:48   #937
BHPian

I hope Mahindra goes the Bronco way to create a Thar brand so that even in future they are sued by FCA, the legacy lives on in a more evolved form. And also hope to create something like the smartphones.

Thar: basic one for rural areas
Thar Plus: Urban utilitarian/Police use
Thar Pro Max: All bells and whistles with an auto box for urban usage
Thar Pro Max Plus Ultra: added 4x4 capabilities, in both auto and manual.

This way a wider band might be able to cater to the needs of all the existing base plus more!

I have always loved the Wrangler for its stance and looks alone, and hated for its ridiculous pricing in India. Now Thar is coming up as a (not that) poor man's wrangler, it will be interesting to watch how FCA reacts. Some satire advertisement work will follow for sure.

I am definitely interested to see the unveil. They are cashing in on the Indian+Independence day vibes and emotions. Marketing is spot on on the first impact. Remainder is yet to be seen. I wish the Harrier could have taken a leaf out of this book.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 18:55   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why?

The rear seats are front facing now. So shouldn't the access be from the front passenger side door only?
I am interested to know this, would prefer the entry from back. I assume we will have two separate front facing seats at the back with gap in between. Also this setup will help to remove one seat (for a family of three) and get additional luggage space.
Old 5th August 2020, 19:09   #939
BHPian

I have a query that wouldn't the Mstallion petrol engine with 380NM will be too much for a ladder on frame off road SUV? I doubt the upcoming Thar would have on road manners on the level of xuv 500 and the likes.

Although we petrolheads always welcome more power and torque but in this case it will only increase the price of the vehicle further. And those horses will rarely be exploited fully on the open road.
Old 5th August 2020, 20:08   #940
Senior - BHPian

Instead of making Thar a cheaper copy of FCA Jeep, Mahindra should launch the strip down/inexpensive version of Thar in India, ie Roxor with factory retro fittings!

Keep Thar as it is! Or rather Work on Bolero if they want to match the FCA Jeep (5 Door).

Thar with its "Go Everywhere" nature, a strip down bare bones version of Roxor should do the trick in India. All the parts are already there in the bin!

Keep Thar as a SWB vehicle and Roxor it's inexpensive version. By launching Roxor under CLASSIC name, it can re-launch the original CLASSIC!

That is what our beloved DB wanted to do with Thar!

Last edited by Parm : 5th August 2020 at 20:09.
Parm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 22:15   #941
Senior - BHPian

Thar is without peers in India. With the real deal (Wrangler) retailing at close to 64 to 69 L ex-showroom, Thar has lots and lots of room to accommodate any number of variants. I think Thar is to Wrangler what Royal Enfield is to Harley. If Mahindra plays it cards well, they have a super winner. It got the looks spot on. Squarish, butch, macho, high-seating and compact dimensions. It's hard not to fall in love with this.

Will the petrol variant have any of the howling sound of old Willys petrol Jeep's engine. I remember in my childhood there was one in my neighbourhood. It was the last of the remaining ones in the sea of clattering diesel Mahindras. It had a left-side steering and 3 gear levers arranged in order of their length. Tallest one was the gear lever and it had only 3 forward gears. The howling sound it made was one of a kind. To this day I have not heard any other petrol car make this sound. Beats me why.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 00:02   #942
BANNED

The stance of the car, position of DRL on the fenders & bonnet locks resembles Wrangler Rubicon 2005, even the position of fuel lid has been changed from right ( driver's side in present gen thar) to left.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images.jpeg  

Gladiator_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 07:54   #943
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
This is the hard top version with the front facing back seat. You can see the roll cage inside the glass.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 08:40   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is the hard top version with the front facing back seat.
Yes, now I got it. I was under an impression all this while that the entry to rear seats would be through back door and space between probably the two bucket seats at rear.

So it is a front door entry to rear and the rear would be a 3 seater? Yeah, no reason why it should not be like Wrangler 3 door. Hmm!
Old 6th August 2020, 09:27   #945
BHPian

I think Thar comparison with Wrangler has already made the job for Marketing team easy!

Although not much information is available now, but I guess this is going to be a success for Mahindra, IF PRICED REALISTICALLY.

Apart from boxy looks, Thar fan following/legacy, it comes with automatic gearbox for both fuel types, Airbags, ABS, decent interiors (as seen in the scoop), front facing rear seat. With a Thar, I would not care about creature comforts like ventilated seats, etc. So yes, as I heard somewhere, this CAN be a family vehicle, and a lifestyle vehicle at the same time!

Waiting for Independence day eagerly
Mynameis is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed