Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 17:16   #976
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

That definitely looks more upmarket and fresh. The attention to details like Thar engraving on tail lamps and interior panels does feel premium. Interior from the pictures already felt light years ahead than the current gen Thar. Hope they price it really well!
Old 7th August 2020, 17:32   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I'm also eagerly waiting for its release plus additional one year for Mahindra to sort out niggles or even engine (remember TUV300) .
Could be true for the petrol engine but the diesel one is already tested and proven on XUV5OO - both engine & gearbox
Old 7th August 2020, 17:32   #978
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks similar to JEEP Rubicorn. I have had the chance to use Jeep in USA for months together. Wrangler I used to get from rentals were all 2wd. New THAR so much resembles to it.
From the hunt of my first car ( which is still my current car after 9 yrs), i tried get a 4WD. First love was gypsy. Looking at practicality, went for a hatch. How much I regret my decision now .

When i was contemplating changing my figo, decided to go for duster awd. Before i could book it, all awds were sold out sigh.

Now scouting for a used safari 4x4 from direct owner or will go for new thar if priced well. Fingers crossed.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:36   #979
BHPian

Now this is what is expected from a 21st century motor company! If only Mahindra could stretch it a bit and slap 2 more doors.

Peace.
adamkathy23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:46   #980
BHPian

Seeing the clamps on rear glass, I think the rear will open in two separate parts.

The design looks classy inside out. Looks like pininfarina work. The design company has to be the best investment mahindra ever made.

Last edited by YD14 : 7th August 2020 at 18:10. Reason: Small typo
Old 7th August 2020, 18:08   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
If only Mahindra could stretch it a bit and slap 2 more doors.
Your catalytic converter, other exhaust components & lower body panels would be destroyed within first 30 minutes of off-roading.

For 4 or more doors with a long wheel base, Mahindra already sells the Xuv5OO / AlturasG4. There are even better cars available. The crux of a JEEP is a short wheel base.
Reinhard is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:12   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnu Shaji View Post
That definitely looks more upmarket and fresh. The attention to details like Thar engraving on tail lamps and interior panels does feel premium. Interior from the pictures already felt light years ahead than the current gen Thar. Hope they price it really well!
More upmarket is a relative term-by that token, the Kia Seltos is a Bentley in terms of fit and finish. Lets not overstate the case as well. It is definitely different from the previous Thar. The question is , if Mahindra charges upwards of 15 lac, would you be willing to overlook some obvious material/build quality deficiencies just because it is a Thar? Or would you, circa 2020, expect the Thar to atleast have fit-finish levels of an XUV. I think it's a fair ask.
fhdowntheline is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:19   #983
BHPian

Nice ride, it reduces the heartburn that Jimmy gives me everytime.

I will reserve my comments until they do the full reveal. But I am most likely buying this in the auto diesel form.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:31   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Looks similar to JEEP Rubicorn. I have had the chance to use Jeep in USA for months together. Wrangler I used to get from rentals were all 2wd. New THAR so much resembles to it.
From the hunt of my first car ( which is still my current car after 9 yrs), i tried get a 4WD. First love was gypsy. Looking at practicality, went for a hatch. How much I regret my decision now .

When i was contemplating changing my figo, decided to go for duster awd. Before i could book it, all awds were sold out sigh.

Now scouting for a used safari 4x4 from direct owner or will go for new thar if priced well. Fingers crossed.
Hope this puppy drives better than a wrangler; I won’t touch a modern day Jeep with a long pole. Having driven plenty versions of it (not owned), both on and off road, I hope this rig comes closer to an FJ or at least a 4runner (owned both). And if it does, it shall be my first truck in India; else am waiting for the Isuzu (although I hate it’s got a wheelbase longer than a Tacoma).
Old 7th August 2020, 18:54   #985
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the pictures - I`m guessing its price will be around the 20L range. Which seems reasonable considering that is how much a Scorpio 4WD used to cost.

Does anyone know if that Ceat tire is specifically made for new Thar?
Old 7th August 2020, 19:04   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Your catalytic converter, other exhaust components & lower body panels would be destroyed within first 30 minutes of off-roading.

For 4 or more doors with a long wheel base, Mahindra already sells the Xuv5OO / AlturasG4. There are even better cars available. The crux of a JEEP is a short wheel base.
Agreed, My point however, was if other manufacturers(Jeep, Ford) could do it, Mahindra could too.
Old 7th August 2020, 19:13   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I`m guessing its price will be around the 20L range.
Hello what!! And then I take this brand new shiny thing to a dirt track?

Contrarily, If to cruise on the highway and crawl into a mall why would you need a 4WD. So it is interesting on how M&M is going to trade off on the pricing.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 19:25   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Hello what!! And then I take this brand new shiny thing to a dirt track?

Contrarily, If to cruise on the highway and crawl into a mall why would you need a 4WD. So it is interesting on how M&M is going to trade off on the pricing.
Ha ha ha!

Well, you see the current Thar was retailing at ~12L on road with taxes.

Except the soft top, everything else (almost) was from standard Mahindra parts bin and yet it costed that much - a lot of that cost was from the added transfer case and hardware, also the production being a lot more non-robotic.

This new model does not seem to share anything from the standard parts bin and has a lot of kit on the inside - at least from the pictures, therefore I do not expect it to be anything less than near 20L.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 19:38   #989
BHPian

Looks great. I would guess the pricing as below Considering all are 4X4 and they launch both fuels

Base Petrol ST MT - 10.0L ex
Top Petrol ST MT - 11.5L ex
Top Petrol ST AT - 13.0L ex
Top Petrol HT AT - 14.5L ex

Base Diesel ST MT - 11L ex
Top Diesel ST MT - 12.5L ex
Top Diesel ST AT - 14.0L ex
Top Diesel HT AT - 15.5L ex

I think this could be a way they will place the variants and pricing

ST - soft top
HT - hard top
MT - manual tranny
AT - auto tranny

🙂

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 19:49   #990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Base Petrol ST MT - 10.0L ex

Base Diesel ST MT - 11L ex
Gone are the days when diesels were 1L more expensive than petrol motors, unless we are talking of old NA petrol motors.

Modern day direction injection turbo petrols are just as expensive as their diesel counterparts. If Thar gets the 2.0 mStallion as rumoured, I expect it to be priced alongside the diesel, if not above it.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks