Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2020, 13:06   #1006
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

First & foremost let's appreciate M&M on a few points.

1. Does it look too much like the Wrangler? Yes it does & it looks really really good!!

2. Will the interiors be perfect? No, but at least they're trying. (Maruti didn't even bother with the ancient interiors of the Brezza & now S-Cross)

3. Road Presence - after driving the Wrangler there's one thing I can assure you of the Thar - PEOPLE WILL NOTICE YOU. Even in stock form Thar will guarantee eyeballs.

4. I hope they really go ahead & provide a diesel AT, if they do this, soon we'll have long waiting periods.

5. Such lifestyle vehicles are adored by almost everyone: normal users, off-road enthusiasts, soccer mom's & modification freaks. Win-win for the Thar.

6. First mover advantage - while Maruti makes us wait for the Jimny, M&M can laugh their way to the bank.

7. I hope the impending success of Thar inspires Tata to bring back the Sierra & Maruti to quickly launch the Jimny.

I'm happy for M&M for trying, for not resting on the laurels of the XUV300. I hope they can price the Thar well. Also hope they upgrade the Scorpio & XUV500 soon enough. Bright years coming up for M&M and I wish them the best.

Good times for us enthusiasts!
John316_WRC is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 14:42   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Power window switches are provided in the centre deliberately because doors are reportedly removable. Heard this on a Youtube reporting. Not sure if it's true.
If you remove the doors you lose the outside rear view mirrors
This is why the new Ford Bronco comes with fender mounted ORVMs
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 15:34   #1008
BHPian

This is aeons ahead of the older car. Doesn’t look like your typical run of the mill Mahindra anymore, has better interiors than even the most fully loaded version of the Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Don’t worry boss, why fear when aftermarket is here?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 15:36   #1009
BHPian

Super! I was waiting for the Jimny but if Mahindra prices this iteration of the Thar well it will become a serious consideration for my next purchase. I hope they get it right.
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 15:45   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Looks like M&M have chosen Ceat Czar A/T instead of Bridgestone as OE tyres this time. Would be interesting to see if they turn out to be as durable as the Bridgestones.

They are A/T. You can see it if you zoom the second last photo.
Ceat Czar A/T are good tyres. Cheaper than Bridgestone Dueler H/T that older Thars and Scorpios came shod with, but equally durable, very puncture-resistant, and decent grip. The only downside is, the tread pattern is noisier than Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Had used Czar A/T for over 50k km on my Scorpio.
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 16:48   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Dealer just last week told me the new Thar should hit the showrooms around year end, meaning Dec 2020 or Jan 2021. The virus willing.

I want to warn some of you fellows who think auto transmission is a juicy novelty. You will get freakin bored with it in about a week. You will long for the days when you could control the vehicle's clutch and gears in difficult situations. An AT is very likely to be a maintenance headache in India for some years to come. There simply are not very many AT trained mechanics in India and won't be for some years to come.

If you want to help your wife drive a Thar, instead of an auto tranny, I suggest a couple of marker stalks. Especially the one on the left gives the vertically challenged driver, or you, a much better idea where the left front of the vehicle is. These white rubber markers are mounted on springs. You can see them at night. You have seen many trucks using them. Since I started using them, my number of maimed women, children and goats is down 28%.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc02036.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 17:09   #1012
BHPian

Literally blown away by the visual quality of seats. These will surely grab your back better than before. Stitching quality is also unusual for a Thar. Look at those carbon fibre looking material around the central ac vents.
Seems this time M&M is serious about the Thar. I don't see any competitor in the price bracket either as Jeeps of this shape are far more expensive and Ford Bronco is less likely to be launched in India.
Old 8th August 2020, 20:12   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi94 View Post
Literally blown away by the visual quality of seats. These will surely grab your back better than before. Stitching quality is also unusual for a Thar. Look at those carbon fiber looking material around the central ac vents.
Seems this time M&M is serious about the Thar. I don't see any competitor in the price bracket either as Jeeps of this shape are far more expensive and Ford Bronco is less likely to be launched in India.
Looks like pattern to me and not like a carbon fiber. M&M gives too many patterns on their interiors anyway. And also looks like the seatbelts are not height adjustable.

However a couple of positive things to notice. Looks like perhaps there's an auto dimming IRVM. Seats look really supportive AND HAVE LUMBAR SUPPORT ADJUSTMENT too. Other creature comforts such as steering mounted controls and touchscreen, definitely huge step up over previous barebones version. However, I think Mahindra has copied some elements from the Wrangler on the inside too. While they are welcome additions in my opinion, hope Jeep doesn't sue them for this.

-Passenger side grab handle
-touchscreen design style
-Look at those switchgear below. Those toggle-like switches I have seen only on Jeeps and Mustangs and Camaros. I can't recall if any Indian car had those fancy looking switch area. Perhaps those many buttons include either some drive modes or auxiliary switches a-la Wrangler. If there are factory fit auxiliary switches, it will be a welcome for the entire mod fraternity. However that area too seems inspired by Wrangler.
-also by the way rear speakers are roof mounted and so is something else near the IRVM, looks like the hardtop is removable. Wow!

This IS Mahindra's halo car if they do it right. In the future, they can use the Scorpio platform to give a 5 door Thar as well. The street presence of a 5 door Thar will be worth it and might sell like hot cakes if priced right. Not every Thar owner anyway take it to off-roading, they also buy it for street presence and commanding respect ( and fear too, if there's a better word than it).

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-t12.jpg
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:38   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
-Look at those switchgear below. Those toggle-like switches I have seen only on Jeeps and Mustangs and Camaros. I can't recall if any Indian car had those fancy looking switch area. Perhaps those many buttons include either some drive modes or auxiliary switches a-la Wrangler. If there are factory fit auxiliary switches, it will be a welcome for the entire mod fraternity. However that area too seems inspired by Wrangler
The Ignis was the first car to feature that layer of Toggle Switches in recent years, and now the Triber also has them, and probably so will the Magnite (as per the pics of the Magnite concept interior). But yes, a useful and stylish feature for sure.

In my Triber RXZ they are for Hazard Lamps, Lock/Unlock, Rear Defogger and a few dummy switches.
AdityaDeane is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:47   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
The Ignis was the first car to feature that layer of Toggle Switches in recent years, and now the Triber also has them, and probably so will the Magnite (as per the pics of the Magnite concept interior). But yes, a useful and stylish feature for sure.

In my Triber RXZ they are for Hazard Lamps, Lock/Unlock, Rear Defogger and a few dummy switches.
Didn't know that, thanks for the heads up!
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:53   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
First & foremost let's appreciate M&M on a few points. 1. Does it look too much like the Wrangler? Yes it does & it looks really really good!!
Yes, starting from 7 slat grill . FCA is not going to be quiet for sure! Passenger grab handle, shape of front black bumper, and few more I can see similar to Wrangler. I drive a Jeep Wrangler 2019, so, I can see some familiarity.

I eagerly looking forward to it for my upgrade from an Innova to a lifestyle vehicle in India. I would have preferred a 4 door for all the practical purposes. So, I am a bit anxious. What I need is a stable/rock solid 120-140 kmph, capable (4x4), niggle free, good NVH levels, excellent build.

I need an AT, I don't mind Petrol, actually I would prefer Petrol over Diesel and for me (smooth/silent ride), Mahindra diesel NVH history is not that good (with the experience from my previous CRDE Scorpio).

Price preferred around 15+ lakhs on road for Petrol Auto!
sgmuser is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 23:27   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
1. Does it look too much like the Wrangler?
You can say that again. At first I thought it was an actual Jeep camouflaged as the Thar

Anyway, it looks very promising, and I might seriously consider it if it's adequately comfortable and the pricing is right.
Old 8th August 2020, 23:44   #1018
BHPian

Okay, the Thar is finally going to be launched before the COVID-19 vaccine!
What I liked -
- The speedo console is nicely inset into the dashboard unlike the propped up design of the current Thar. This will definitely improve visibility for shorter drivers (like me!)
- Contour and quality of seats with the amount of under thigh support (and adjustable head restraints on rear seats!)
- Dash design and visible quality of materials
- The stance!

What I didn't like
- No option to open the rear windows. They could have rigged up a side-sliding mechanism at least. This might be one of the first after market mods people will try.
- It appeared to me that the space behind the rear wheels is going to be minimal. This will end up being a 2-person vehicle for long trips. This could have been compensated by providing 60:40 split for the rear seat, but that does not appear to be possible from the images.
- Rear cabin is still quite unfinished. A bit of plastic cladding over the rear wheel wells could have given better aesthetics and opened up more functional spaces.
- And a manually operated fuel flap?!! Really?

But overall a thoroughly modern and refreshed look over the outgoing model. I hope they launch a petrol 4WD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
I think I can now understand why reopening of gyms is coinciding with the Thar launch. Owners will need to bulk up to get the massive 17" spare up and down!

Last edited by Eddy : 9th August 2020 at 00:15. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
GhostRider28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 08:36   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I think the doorless driving is only meant for offroading situations where you don't need the ORVMs.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 10:19   #1020
Distinguished - BHPian

More of Thar as it hits the public road:

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo1.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo2.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo3.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo4.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo7.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th August 2020 at 10:20.
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed