Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2020, 10:19   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

More of Thar as it hits the public road:

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo1.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo2.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo3.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo4.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharnewcolourvideo7.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th August 2020 at 10:20.
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 10:54   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Looks like we may not need the Bronco or Jimny in India at all. If that is how it looks and comes with a petrol automatic, it is going to take zen level patience not to part with 20 lakhs of your money.

I am still pissed at Mahindra for the grill copy job though. They can have the aggressive look even without that copy job, making slight changes like they did in case of Roxor second generation. This is like a war cry from Mahindra saying 'This is our country and we will copy whatever we like. Good luck fighting us in court and getting a verdict 10 years down the line' . Very much like the Chinese are copying all the global designs. In my opinion, we should not go down to those levels.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 9th August 2020 at 10:55.
padmrajravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 12:10   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post

I think I can now understand why reopening of gyms is coinciding with the Thar launch. Owners will need to bulk up to get the massive 17" spare up and down!
17 inch is only the size of rim you are talking about. A lot of small cars have 17-18 inch rims. It is the overall wheel size which matters, which is diameter of rim + (sidewallX2). Thar is reported to have 255/65R18 tyre. Some math on this will show overall wheel dia as 31 inch which is half inch bigger than Fortuner/Endeavour's wheel. So, already Thar will have biggest wheels of all SUVs in India. And, being Jeep type, sky is the limit with customization and it can easily take 33 inch tyres. With 2 inch lift, even 35 inchers. That would make this look super-monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More of Thar as it hits the public road:

Attachment 2040286
Love the way Thar towers over whatever car it is that Thar is shot, out of. Even in stock form, it looks absolute monster.
Old 9th August 2020, 12:33   #1024
BHPian

So the new Thar still has IFS, which is great considering most of them will be used for city/highway driving. I feel like Mahindra should also launch the barebones Roxor in India, that'll be really fun going off-roading with it.
Old 9th August 2020, 12:52   #1025
BHPian

Do you all see a legal battle between Jeep India and Mahindra coming up? This was first pointed out by GTO I guess.

The new Thar looks very good, no doubt. But, to be honest, the That does look similar to the Jeep Wrangler.

Can the rear window roll down?
Old 9th August 2020, 12:55   #1026
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon85 View Post
Do you all see a legal battle between Jeep India and Mahindra coming up
About rear windows,I dont think they can be rolled down as they seem to be bolted to the hard top

Last edited by ampere : 9th August 2020 at 12:57.
Old 9th August 2020, 13:06   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Do you all see a legal battle between Jeep India and Mahindra coming up? This was first pointed out by GTO I guess.
From what I recall, M&M have the rights to use the Jeep grill only in India. Jeep went legally after M&M, only on the Roxor entered the US market with a Jeep-like grill, wherein the US was not covered by an agreement between FCA and M&M.

So, I do not think there will be legal battle between Jeep India and M&M.
Aiel is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 14:13   #1028
BANNED

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDpzbYEHexR/

Credit: the spy autonews
Gladiator_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 14:41   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
From what I recall, M&M have the rights to use the Jeep grill only in India. Jeep went legally after M&M, only on the Roxor entered the US market with a Jeep-like grill, wherein the US was not covered by an agreement between FCA and M&M.
The FCA- Mahindra spat was for the whole design.

In fact, the Jeep trade dress didn't even have the grille mentioned.
Mahindra had already changed the grille to an ugly one earlier.

Quote:
(i) A boxy body shape with flat appearing vertical side and rear body panels ending at about the same height as the hood;

(ii) Substantially flat hood with curved side edges that tapers to be narrower at the front;

(iii) Trapezoidal front wheel wells with front fenders or fender flares that extend beyond the front of the grille;

(iv) Flat appearing grille with vertical elongated grille slots and a trapezoidal outline that curves around round headlamps positioned on the upper part of the grille;

(v) Exterior hood latches;

(vi) Door cutouts above a bottom portion of the side body panels
https://jalopnik.com/judge-rules-mah...hry-1840075074

For the older Jeeps/Thar, Mahindra could argue they have/had the license rights. Don't know the legality so not commenting.

But the new Thar looks like the Wrangler, for which Mahindra never had any license.
Ofcourse there are quite a few changes from the Wrangler, and the vague trade dress won't hold water in India I guess.

But the grille would be a contention point. Mahindra could easily tweak it without affecting overall look.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 15:29   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post

The rear is quite cramped and it is evident how close the headrest is to the rear pillar of the roll bar so storage space will be non existent. Nothing here that people already haven't got done on regular Thars. In fact the thickness of the seats is something that could have been improved I feel. Thinner but more comfortable seats would have been better to free up more space. It looks like quite a cramped and claustrophobic space now.

Looks quite cramped and i'm quite sure that the adjustment of the seat will not leave much leg room for the rear seat.
I must say that Mahindra's Thar revamp is underwhelming pending the information on mechanicals. A revamp of the dashboard, seats, a bit of cladding here and there, hardtop, front facing seats etc are hardly game changing.

Except for the body style I don't see anything here that people have not got done in the current version of the Thar. Mechanical improvements aside that is. If it was upto me, and the Suzuki Jimny was launched here, I'll put my money down on the Jimny in a heartbeat. I don't see any compromise there that I don't see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Case 1 - Lost decades
While other off-roaders got their individuality with each passing generations, the license raj and captive market meant Mahindra couldn't/needn't do anything well until the 90s.
Can't say till it's been fully unveiled, but Mahindra may have wanted to create some connect between the Thar generations. By the third gen Thar, Mahindra would have fully stopped piggybacking on the jeep legacy.
I am thinking on similar lines. Mahindra basically sat on the Jeep legacy for several decades without improving on the platform to make it extensible and future proof. They seriously need to think about platforms if they need to be successful.

The current effort is neither here nor there. For hard core offroading the first things that come off will be those claddings and such. For a lifestyle vehicle with family there are better options. So it's back to the niche again without addressing the needs that are required to expand the customer base. Platforms would have helped them address the short wheelbase and long wheelbase scenarios. They could have taken the current generation and improved it with a better engine, suspension package for starters. Thinner seats at the front, front facing rear seats and a hard top would have rounded off the package.

I am frankly disappointed at the end result more than anything.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 18:19   #1031
BHPian

Quote:

The new Thar looks very good, no doubt. But, to be honest, the That does look similar to the Jeep Wrangler.

Can the rear window roll down?
Bro, I'm sure the guys at M&M know their beans.
Old 9th August 2020, 20:35   #1032
BHPian

The new Thar looks very good, no doubt. But, it looks heavily inspired by the Jeep Wrangler.
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 21:41   #1033
BHPian

M&M has certainly put a lot of effort on this. It looks a huge step-up from the Old Thar in every aspect. Not to forget the interior which looks more opulent and has finally got the much needed upgrade. Looks uber cool now!

But, I'm not sure if I really liked the exterior looks on this one. It looks like a wannabe Wrangler and has lost its ruggedness due to those bulky cladding's all around. Gotta see how it looks in flesh!
Can't wait to see it on the road with off-road tires and lift kits.
Old 9th August 2020, 21:50   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
So,

Sirish Chandar posted this on Insta today morning. Does he know something that we don't know.

Is this the new #Thar ��

All at 13 Lakh, with a diesel option & Apple CarPlay. I am struggling to find a reason to complain.
13 lakhs maybe the starting point. It will be interesting to see at what price will he get the things he has listed.

.. OR ..

In the picture he has posted, you can also see a 5 door Wrangler. Maybe he is being sarcastic(?) People expecting Wrangler like features at outgoing Thar like price?

15-Aug is sure going to be exciting this year

Last edited by Sheel : 11th August 2020 at 10:14. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 9th August 2020, 22:25   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

In the picture he has posted, you can also see a 5 door Wrangler. Maybe he is being sarcastic(?) People expecting Wrangler like features at outgoing Thar like price?
Arent both of them Wranglers? What's he implying?
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks