Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 15:21   #1051
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

I think Mahindra will throw everything they possible can at the petrol engine variant with the automatic as they want to break into the sedan buyer segment.

Looking forward to this launch as I would love to own the Thar if they manage to give all the creature comforts of a sedan with the versatility of the higher ground clearance and rugged appearance.

I am sure they will succeed in pulling customers from the sedan side if they give a product with polish and finesse.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 16:22   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
The 2.0L is guaranteed but likely a detuned version touching somewhere between 150-160hp at best and will definitely look to spice up the low-end grunt.
Why would they take the extra time and effort to take a 2.0 L engine and de-tune it? They can straightway use their 1.5L with similar BHP and Torque figures as its readily available.

We all wish it comes with the proper 2.0 L 190 bhp engine. The engine might be tuned for low end performance only, but think about the weird situation of an Octavia being overtaken by THAR. Then the pricing has to be higher than Octavia. So the 2.0L engine, even if it happens, would be a mediocre one to drive and wont inspire any enthusiastic quick overtaking/acceleration drives.

If they give the 2.0L engine, they better give an explosive engine. If they want to give mediocre experience, better they put the 1.5L and at-least save in fuel costs.
petrol_power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 23:17   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Why would they take the extra time and effort to take a 2.0 L engine and de-tune it? They can straightway use their 1.5L with similar BHP and Torque figures as its readily available.
I might be called crazy, but I think Mahindra might offer both 2.0L and 1.5L motors on Thar.

2.0L for those who are really serious about climbing Himalayas through non-existent roads. And, 1.5L for lesser mortals who want to own and show-off their Thar in urban jungles while having almost no craving for mountain climbing.

Having driven XUV3OO with it's 1.2L, I feel 1.5L will be a capable power plant in Thar for easier terrains. Customers with limited budget and eye on fuel economy would be enticed towards that.
Old 12th August 2020, 13:32   #1054
VRJ
BHPian

I came across this article in rediff business by Rajesh Karkera that goes into detail about the history and journey of the iconic Mahindra Thar. All the way from the 1949 CJ-3A to the recently released 2019 Thar 700. An interesting read.

Link: https://m.rediff.com/amp/business/sp...s/20200812.htm
VRJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 13:33   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the next teaser Ad.

Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 14:08   #1056
SR7
BHPian

This post from the official Mahindra Thar Instagram account more or less confirms the removable hard top!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_1594.png  

SR7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 14:20   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering what would happen to the Wrangler customization industry pan-India who run this business of turning your old Thar or an old mm550 into a Wrangler/Rubicon look-alike, now that second gen Thar itself is turning into a Wrangler. Wondering who would go to them now when you can buy a properly-designed, tested and factory-produced brand new one straight off a showroom of an Indian auto major, with warranty, after sales service and peace of mind?

Some of these custom workshops do a very good job, looks-wise. Of course, some do go overboard, with garish colours and over-the-top customization. But some are really very good. Can't say about quality though unless you own one. I had enquired about one 2 years back with one such workshop in Punjab. I didn't have a donor Thar and enquired about a Wrangler look-alike with AT box. They said they do drop in a Nissan/Toyota diesel engine-AT combo. Since, those were imported used engine/gearboxes, I chickened out fearing service/repair issues on imported engine-GBs. Needless to say, I am anxiously waiting for new Thar. :-)
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:23   #1058
BHPian

Some more spy shots of the upcoming Thar has been published on a Rushlane article.
Link to article:
https://www.rushlane.com/2020-mahind...-12371176.html

It is not just one, but interestingly a group of Thar's on the Nashik-Mumbai highway near Igatpuri. These vehicles seems to be coming from the Mahindra Off-Road Training Academy located in Igatpuri. The vehicles seen here are some with the soft top and a hard top variant. The ones with the soft top with the steel wheels seems to be a lower spec whereas the hard top vehicle may be a top spec and features the alloy wheels seen earlier. Now that the countdown has begun on the website, eagerly hoping that this wait will be a well worth one.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindrathartractioncontrolfeatures41068x801.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindrathartractioncontrolfeatures5.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindrathartractioncontrolfeatures31068x801.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindrathartractioncontrolfeatures1.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindrathartractioncontrolfeatures21125x1125.jpg  

stormdRider is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:57   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Reliably learnt the following;
  • Diesel - 2.2 L Mhawk (EDIT: this incorrectly said 2.5L earlier)
  • Petrol - 2.0 L MStallion
  • Both will have Aisin Gear Box
  • Both will have HT & ST Options
  • Both will be having AT (Torque converter) options - AT Box by Aisin

This is slated to be the full range

At what point of time the full range will be available is a question that hopefully will be answered on 15th August.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th August 2020 at 10:45. Reason: Correcting 2.5 --> 2.2 in this post itself, as some people might not read the follow up :)
r_nairtvm is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 18:33   #1060
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
[list][*]Diesel - 2.5 L Mhawk[*]Petrol - 2.0 L MStallion[*]Both will have Aisin Gear Box [*]Both will have HT & ST Options[*]Both will be having AT (Torque converter) options - AT Box by Aisin
Are they are going to take the Mhawk to 2.5L?
Or is this a typo?
KMT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 18:49   #1061
BHPian

Quote:

At what point of time the full range will be available is a question that hopefully will be answered on 15th August.
Finally this looks like an offering worth the wait. I am really surprised to see so many comments about the Design rip off etc. All said and done we are yet to see a full reveal. So better to wait for that.

Secondly Mahindra is synonymous with Jeep in India and they would have taken all the necessary approvals for India. And how many changes can they do to the rectangular boxes like lights etc. Make it a square at the Max. So not many iterations possible. They would have taken some inspiration for sure.

And how many of us would have even evinced the interest if it lost the boxy shape. Probably Land Rover Defender is the only one which evolved relatively well. Rest almost all the brands are only an evolution. If people wanted a different style, they have plenty of other options.

Somehow buying an SUV without a tire on the Hatch feels incomplete to me. and I am not sure I can even the lift the tire. But I fall for that look. No wonder I keep commenting only on cars.

I am almost certain I am going to buy this. And it will see a lot of field activity as well as city run. The other day my Innova got stuck in Mud at one of my sites and I was super pissed that I did not have a proper 4WD.
indian21r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 19:31   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
  • Diesel - 2.5 L Mhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Are they are going to take the Mhawk to 2.5L?
Or is this a typo?
This probably seems to be a typing error, As per Mr. Pawan Goenka’s interview with Autocar India few days back, he said the new thar’s 2.2L Diesel engine performed really well when he test drove the vehicle. So I believe it’s 2.2L Mhawk with the same tuning as that in the current gen Scorpio- 140HP/320NM with 6 speed gearbox.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 20:17   #1063
Senior - BHPian

2.2 Mhawk does duty in Scorpio/XUV which are bigger and are 7-seaters. Won't that be an overkill on compact Thar which will mostly be 2-up with an occasional 4 pax? They do have a 1.9 Mhawk which was for Delhi market. That would do, IMO. Similarly, a 2.0 L petrol for 4WD and a 1.5 L for 2WD would be fine, too, I guess. Torque for 1.5 can be generated by high gear ratios.
Old 12th August 2020, 20:19   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Diesel - 2.5 L Mhawk
Sorry guys! My bad. As pointed out, its indeed a typo. 2.2L MHawk its is

Best Regards & Drive safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 21:23   #1065
BHPian

Pretty excited for the new Thar. It is surprising that no soild leaks have been out regarding the engine or the looks of the Thar yet.
Mahindra has kept the wraps on the Thar quite good.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed