Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 23:43   #1321
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Did I just spot cruise control?
I am on my second XUV which I bought in 2018(latest gen). I didn't buy the Thar for lack of creature comforts. It couldn't cruise at highway speeds. Seems this Thar can do all that. Looks like the season for change. Can't wait to drive this and book.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2836b1add6b44472a9ba4d48ecb5d55b.jpeg  

Last edited by Rathore_13 : 15th August 2020 at 23:51. Reason: typo
Rathore_13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 23:48   #1322
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
A new pic posted by Sirish Chandran and he is driving the Soft-Top.

I think this is the best angle of the front, doesn't let the grille standout too much.

Attachment 2043086

BTW he also mentioned that opinions are embargoed till 9pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathore_13 View Post
I am on my second XUV which I bought in 2018(latest gen). I didn't buy the that for lack of creature comforts. It also couldn't cruise at highway speeds. Looks like this Thar can do all that. Looks like the season for change. Can't wait to drive this and book.
They did mention Cruise Control during the unveil video, so it must be a part of the LX package.
udy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 23:50   #1323
BHPian

I wonder where the FM antenna is located. I would love something on the left side of the hood..
Old 15th August 2020, 23:50   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Well but it is a very good rip off. It will be a poor mans Wrangler.
I have seen Vitara Brezza with Jeep grills, this will be a much proper rip off
Haha! Absolutely. But "wrangler" sellers on Indiamart must not to be taken lightly by Mahindra car designers.

Some "Suman traders" at Indiamart have listed an even poorer mans wrangler for 6lacs. Only.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images-20.jpeg  

Malhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 23:59   #1325
BHPian

Quite a few people have mentioned that the turbo-petrol has higher peak torque than the diesel. I think it is more important to understand the torque curve ... i.e. how much torque is available at engine idling speeds or just above or at low revs.

I cannot find a mention of the kerb weight. It will help to understand the bhp / ton power to weight ratio.

Also, was there any mention made of the ability to upsize the wheels and tires by the Mahindra Customisation team, if only for off-roading ?

Lastly, any idea about the overall gear ratio for 1st gear / crawl ratio / transfer case low ratio ?

Perhaps our Moderators Aditya and GTO can help with this information.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:00   #1326
BHPian

This looks brilliant. With the power figures should be relaxing drive on highways too.
However is it just me or are all the reviewers bouncing around even though this car is being driven on smooth tarmac? Wonder what it would do to your back if used for touring.

Even with all the stying, the practicality of a boot is a must for any outing with the family. If I were hoping to reach a remote campsite with my family, where do I put my luggage?

Since M&M were already on the drawing board for this one, would it have hurt if they made it a foot longer? That would have added some more room at the back perhaps making it a 5 seater and a larger boot as well. While it will still do well, I think this is a lost opportunity, if it was practical while looking butch, it would have eaten the current crop of soft roaders for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Last edited by SDP : 18th August 2020 at 07:47. Reason: Typo
Ph03nix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:03   #1327
BHPian

Taking inspiration is okay. But this is beyond that and Mahindra stooped to the level of some chinese companies. Understandably most of us are okay with it.

New Thar looks good, better in many ways. But my heart is not okay with it for some reason. I love to look at a decently modded old gen Thar than this one.
Renjith Rajan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:04   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any idea on the mechanism for removing the hard top? Is the front passenger section and rear passenger section separately removable? Saw the mechanism of the soft top, seems pretty easy, what about the hard top?

Can we just remove the hard top from top of driver and passenger seat? Like the sunroof.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:04   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
I wonder where the FM antenna is located. I would love something on the left side of the hood..
It is indeed placed on the left side, but on the fender instead of hood
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200816000113__01.jpg  

Last edited by Sudarshan_N : 16th August 2020 at 00:33.
Sudarshan_N is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:04   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would love something on the left side of the hood..
Sure, they knew it.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-antenna.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
If I were hoping to reach a remote campsite with my family, where do I put my luggage?
After market roof carriers?

Quote:
Since M&M were already on the drawing board for this one, would it have hurt if they made it a foot longer?
Probably that would take it out of the sub-4m category which is a different ball game all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Guys, any idea on the mechanism for removing the hard top?
In one of the vlog reviews it was mentioned that the hard top cannot be removed. Wind in the hair is for the soft top/convertible variants.

Last edited by SDP : 18th August 2020 at 07:48. Reason: Typo
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:09   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
It is there on the left side (pic attached from Faisal Khan's vlog).
Attached Images

JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:10   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post

Since M&M were already on the drawing board for this one, would it have hurt if they made it a foot longer? That would have added some more room at the back perhaps making it a 5 seater and a larger boot as well. While it will still do well, I think this is a lost opportunity, if it was practical while looking butch, it would have eaten the current crop of soft roaders for bf, lunch and dinner.
You nailed it. A foot longer with rear seats on rails to give them a "fore and aft" degree of freedom would have immensely increased its appeal to many. Slide it behind for the increased leg room and forward for greater boot space.
But then, such vehicles are predominantly "big boys' toys" and designing them for a true daily usage would be sacrilegious to many. So, as long as this is a compromise, it's bound to be neither here nor there.
Drool factor (post mods) - 100%
Eye candy - 100%
Would I buy it as my only car (unless I am single)? - no
Nevertheless, a bold and praiseworthy move while trying to stay true to the m&m dna.
Keep at it M&M
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:11   #1333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathore_13 View Post
I am on my second XUV which I bought in 2018(latest gen). I didn't buy the Thar for lack of creature comforts. It couldn't cruise at highway speeds. Seems this Thar can do all that. Looks like the season for change. Can't wait to drive this and book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
They did mention Cruise Control during the unveil video, so it must be a part of the LX package.
Yes, available in the LX
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-cc_thar_2020.png

Check here - https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/thar/s...tions-features

Quote:
On the front left fender
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-fm_thar_2020.png
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:15   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayan View Post
This is a trend widespread in the Chinese automotive industry. The courts there aid the companies with bypassing design IP laws.

Are the laws in India such lax as well? Otherwise what is stopping FCA from suing Mahindra for all their worth?
I'm not an IP lawyer (I mostly deal in criminal & administrative law), but am keenly interested in it regardless. Arguably two IP infringements could be claimed: design and trademark. For design, a registration under the Designs Act is required (and I don't think Jeep would have that). As for the trademark, Jeep can try to claim that they have a shape that is pretty well known and is associated with Jeep, but I don't think they would be able to succeed considering the name 'jeep' itself has become quite diluted (and thus the trademark along with it), and this design shape has been going on in India without being associated with Jeep. So, in my opinion, the suit would fail. But that's just my opinion, and I do not practice in IP laws. As I said in an earlier post, it would be interesting to see if Jeep brings a claim and what they base it on. Apologies to the mods if this was too much offtopic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
No doubts this looks very very good. There's lot of desirability factor now over the previous Thar.

However, am surprised that people are happy to pay 15L for this - this is the price bracket where we have (variants of) products like XUV300, Seltos, XUV500, Creta and such other very refined products. Thar may be a no-nonsense product for off-roading but how about an interstate run? How comfortable is the journey for a family in this for anything more than 5 hours, compared to other products in the bracket? Aditya's first look review gives ample details on it - For me, this is a back-up/beater car I can use for runs within 50 kms for off-road fun or random get aways.

The ride quality, noise levels, refinement etc are super important for me - and I dont think this car gives me that. So, while am smitten about the design, I might choose to buy this in a pre-owned route to compliment my regular car, probably at Rs. 6-7L few years down the line.
This is precisely my thought too! For soft-top, I understand, people MIGHT be willing to spend some more. But how does THIS hardtop SUV make sense over Scorpios, XUVs and what not.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 16th August 2020 at 00:17.
N.A.GTC is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:22   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Guys, any idea on the mechanism for removing the hard top?
The front hard top (above driver and passenger) is fixed as per the reviewer in Zigwheels video.
The rear hardtop is removable as per reviewer in Overdrive video.

Last edited by PraNeel : 16th August 2020 at 00:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks