Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 19:34   #1426
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Can one confirm is there's any legal/ copyright issue with M&M launching a 5-Door (5+2 at best) seater That/ Armada for India only.
Old 16th August 2020, 19:35   #1427
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Don't tell me the base AX doesn't come with HVAC? The expected price of 10L, oh come on M&M, whom are you making this for the police and armed forces?
Base AX does come with HVAC with Eco mode.
Old 16th August 2020, 19:43   #1428
BHPian

The wheel wells look big enough that the 18” rims can accommodate boots a size or two bigger than the stocks, don’t they? If yes, what 33” tires are available in India that can go on the stock rims?
Old 16th August 2020, 20:24   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator_1 View Post
Base AX does come with HVAC with Eco mode.
Wrong, AX AC Manual variant has the HVAC, not the base AX Manual, please check.
Old 16th August 2020, 20:34   #1430
BHPian

Is there is a better way to celebrate the Independence Day for a car manufacturer, I guess not! Thank you Mahindra, We love you all the more!

However, Someone please help me understand why could they not provide same (Of)fender design for front and rear, My OCD gets worse each time i look at it.
Attached Images

adamkathy23 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 20:34   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
The wheel wells look big enough that the 18” rims can accommodate boots a size or two bigger than the stocks, don’t they? If yes, what 33” tires are available in India that can go on the stock rims?
Maxxis Bighorns, Cooper STT Pro, Hankook, Accelera etc. Several brands are there. The LX version gets 255/65/18 which is equivalent to a 31.1" tyre. I am guessing 32" and 33" tyres can fit depending on the body wheel well clearance, Suspension, UCAs, body mounts, anti roll bars & CV angle. Also, it needs to be seen if 15" wheels will fit and clear the brake rotors. If not, 16" negative offset wheels with 265/75/16 (~32") or 285/75/16 (~33") will probably become the standard upgrade sizes.

Waiting for an official TBHP Thar EXAMM like offroad test to put all versions (Petrol, Diesel MTs & ATs) of the Thar through its paces similar to the one that was done for the previous generation Thar. Wonder how the new more powerful Petrol will fare against the diesel offroad. The link is as follows:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post2198331

Last edited by sharc_biker : 16th August 2020 at 20:50.
sharc_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 20:34   #1432
BHPian

If Mahindra is serious about making numbers with Thar and wants people to consider it as their only car, I seriously believe top of the line Thar shouldn't be priced more than 13 lacs ex showroom. Although not the exact comparison in terms of type of vehicle, but base creta ex has equal or better features than than Top of line Thar. I am ready to pay 3 lac more for the automatic and the ruggedness Thar provides. If Mahindra wants urban users, they have to price it right. For more than 15 lacs, I would think more in terms of practicality and might have to stay away. I am absolutely in love with the one in black with hard top, hope Mahindra prices it well. Fingers crossed!

Also, 15lacs or more for top of the line thar might look reasonable when you compare it to previous Thar, but not so when you compare it with other cars in the market. Upcoming Duster with AWD would seem well priced if Thar comes with a over enthusiastic price tag.

Last edited by SidR : 16th August 2020 at 20:40. Reason: Added more content
SidR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 20:59   #1433
BHPian

Great product no doubt. Question would be who the exact customer segment is once the initial euphoria gives way to putting money where mouth is. As its rumored, if the top end AT's OTR would be 16-18 Lakhs, I doubt it is going to sell much. Will always remain a niche product ; doubt if it will ever become a serious consideration for a small urban family who likes some adventure on weekends. Too many sacrifices from all the video reviews + this review, making it a hard sell. Maybe a LWB 5 door version could make it more practical but also even more pricier. Overall, I think it will be one of the best products in Indian auto space that not a lot of people will buy. I hope I'm wrong !
snan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 21:20   #1434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
What is more disturbing to me is the fact that many 'senior' members of this forum who are considered Automative gurus and abide by and preach strict ethical codes even on this forum, are rejoicing this product launch from Mahindra. They don't seemed be bothered about such blatant plagiarism of a world icon - the jeep wrangler.

Has our judicial system become so flimsy that Mahindra has the audacity to unashamedly cut-copy and paste , or, have we Indians collectively become so thick skinned to turn a blind eye towards something which is not short of a daylight robbery? I fail to understand.
Sorry

1. In that case, every single offroader/ legacy SUV model. Name it. Started their model run either inspired, copied or licensed from jeep. Though over the years they built their own individuality, thanks to our license raj Mahindra couldn't/needn't upgrade the jeep model, for which they already had the license.

2. Can't compare chinese copying to this.
It is not as if Mahindra decided one fine day, to make a Wrangler replica. They had the license to jeep models, even before FCA or Chrysler or Kaiser owned the Jeep name. The legality or licensing has already been discussed here, not going down there.
So Mahindra do have the legacy for jeeps. Afterall, they have made it for 70+ years. And to be frank, there is only much you can modernise a jeep design without looking like a Wrangler.

Not to say, the latest global super hit. The Jimny is so obviously inspired from Defender and G class. While Jimny fans initially lamented the loss of 'original' looks for the shrunken other brand image.
Just a look at the sales figures and the fact, many aftermarket companies are actively promoting the mini Defender, G wagon look.

Last edited by DicKy : 16th August 2020 at 21:35.
DicKy is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 21:23   #1435
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
However, Someone please help me understand why could they not provide same (Of)fender design for front and rear, My OCD gets worse each time i look at it.
Ha ha. Quite a catch there. You seriously have OCD (pun intended).
My take would be to tease gypsy with rear fender and wrangler with front.
Old 16th August 2020, 21:40   #1436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
That's one of their design principles.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200816170108_youtube.jpg

They touched upon it briefly during the unveil event (go to 22m 55s)
Dry Ice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 21:49   #1437
BHPian

A bit of a crude attempt but i think the wrangler grill if put aftermarket, will take care of the only blemish in design.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_3048.png  

spkrnh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 22:12   #1438
BHPian

Yeah i saw that! The presenter talked, yet said nothing. I think that is done simply to make it look different from the jeep wrangler of the past. I googled and could not find any other 4x4 vehicle with different (Of)fender designs.

But then again, If they could put those Hideous Cheetah's paws inspired door handles in XUV 500 and give us a Shark inspired MUV, It does not surprise me that this is part of their design principle.
Old 16th August 2020, 22:25   #1439
Team-BHP Support

What a smashing effort by Mahindra and I am dying to see it in the flesh. If the petrol AT LX hardtop is under 16 on road I'd definitely consider it quite seriously.

For what it offered, I feel the previous gen Thar was also overpriced. They will therefore have to be cautions on what they price this one at. As a product its a class of one but customers often cross shop when they have to shell out a certain amount of money across products that may not be competitors.
Old 16th August 2020, 22:33   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Wow! A Great attempt indeed. I feel sorry for those who have bought the present one that looks and feels like one from a by gone era. Ingress/Egress to rear seat is going to be 'calisthenic' for most. Engines/gear box, Interior and refinement are super. I would love a hard top and a 5 door.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 16th August 2020 at 22:35.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks