Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 15:23   #1501
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I think Mahindra has done an excellent job with the new Thar, although, it is has moved from being a workhorse to a lifestyle vehicle.
Makes sense for the company as thats where the margins are.

Perhaps you have forgotten but before Mahindra got their 'International Harvester' design Diesel they had the 'Hurricane' series petrol engines. There are still a few jeeps in my place running around with these engines.

That said, I too am curious as to the roots of the cutrent series of Mahindra petrols. We all know the background of the mhawk and m eagle engines but the GDI petrols roots are a mystery.

PS -I was expecting more than 150hp fro..a 2 Ltr GDI as the 1 Ltr Hyundai GDI puts out 120 bhp. I guess the trade off os better low end torque.
The Hurricane was there but it was a CJ3B engine developed by Jeep / Willys / Kaiser Corporation. Mahindra assembled it. They were never involved in designing it. This seems to be a Mahindra vendor developed Petrol engine.
Old 17th August 2020, 15:58   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Haha. Someone posted this on FB. Ownership rights to them. But someone just make a similar grill with absolutely super quality and you'll have lines outside your store for this. Just don't make a cheap copy which warps or fades in 6 months. Charge double but make a good quality specimen.
I'm in for it. As soon as mine rolls out I'll have this installed if it's available by then!!
Superb!
I dont care if it looks like a Jeep wrangler.
I'm 100% sure soon people will start mistaking the wrangler for a Thar. "Oh look a 5 door thar!!" Hahahahaha.

This just looks perfect!!!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-fb_img_1597656512553.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 15:59   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
....Kudos to Mahindra for bringing out a modern proper offroader
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I think Mahindra has done an excellent job with the new Thar, although, it is has moved from being a workhorse to a lifestyle vehicle.
Makes sense for the company as thats where the margins are.
There is bound to be a significant price difference between the lowest and the highest Thar 2020 variants.

The bare-bones/workhorse AX-Manual-Diesel without the option pack is going to be low priced and the highest Trim the Lifestyle LX-Automatic-Petrol is going to cost significantly higher. That way they will get a wide spectrum of customers.

They should have provided an option for the rear seats to fold an tumble forward or tucked sideways like in an Innova. That would liberate huge cargo space and make it more flexible to use.

Also that high braking stop-lamp at the rear is going to be a safety hazard for anyone bending into the boot area, they could bang their head against that protruding lamp and get injured. The stop light should be fixed to the rear glass top.

Although forward facing rear seats is good from the comfort and safety perspective, they waste a significant amount of space around the wheel arches.
The side jump seats looks like a more practical option offering more seating and better space utilization, although its not good from safety and comfort perspective.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 17th August 2020 at 16:08.
Old 17th August 2020, 16:00   #1504
BHPian

I did not know what Jimny was so had a look on Suzuki website. Looked ugly. So one decision is made i.e not waiting for Jimny.

Jeep Wrangler is way out of budget.

Hence going to buy Thar Petrol AT in either Red or Aquamarine. This is of course based on price point, if it gets placed around 15 lakhs ex showroom then plan dropped. Sweet spot would be 11-12 Lakhs.

My only concern is roof mounted speakers and limited space in boot for woofers and amplifier along with luggage. Mahindra should have made this a bit longer to give more boot space.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th August 2020 at 16:46. Reason: Typos
Old 17th August 2020, 16:02   #1505
BHPian

Is it worthwhile to buy the non 4WD version or even have a look at at?

Any idea what the base version of the new Thar will be equipped with - Alloys, ABS, EBD, cruise Control, Air Bags from a safety perspective?
Old 17th August 2020, 16:07   #1506
VRJ
BHPian

I’ve always been a fan of off-roading, however, I never had the opportunity to own a 4x4 or experience that lifestyle. This might change if Mahindra prices the car below 15L on-road for the diesel AT and if the production spec car has good road/highway manners (I don’t have 4x4 track in my backyard, have to travel at least 120 km to reach the forests). I do have a couple of questions for the experts. The second gear lever on the Thar consists of 2H, 4H, N, 4L.

1. What does N do? Could not find answers in google, but there’s one in reddit that says it totally disconnects the drivetrain. It is to be used only when towing. If true, how is this different from having the primary gear lever in N (be it manual or AT)? The Fortuner 4x4 has only H2, H4 and L4. There is no N. How do we tow the Fortuner? I’m assuming leaving the primary gear lever in N will do the trick. Then why isn’t it the case with the Thar?

2. I’ve read that 4H should not be used on paved roads and should be used only on dirt, gravel and snow. Why? Will driving on paved roads somehow hurt the 4x4 setup? What is the maximum speed one can drive on 4H and 4L?

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-52249c194c09475a8859a12e3e1bb7ed.jpg

Image source: Screenshot from Motoroids YouTube video.

Thank you
Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:18   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
They should have provided an option for the rear seats to fold an tumble forward
They do tumble forward. See screenshot from ACI video:

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-acithar.jpg
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:21   #1508
BHPian

I am excited about a new offroader being made available at an appealing price point to people, and I'm excited about what this can do to 4x4 culture and the community at large, I am definitely disappointed that Mahindra chose to stoop this low. It's one thing to be inspired by the functionality, market positioning, value proposition etc of the Wrangler, but to completely copy every detail possible is as bad as Chinese manufacturers, if not worse (considering the headstart Mahindra has on them)

In a world where RE and other Indian companies can take inspiration from benchmark competitors and use it to fuel new innovation and design, Mahindra consitently makes ugly cars (many of their other models) or copycat cars. This level of replication is not sheer coincidence or inevitable evolutionary design as many others in this thread have pointed out. Sounds like a lot of mental gymnastics and bending over backwards to make excuses for despicable practices in the automobile industry.

It seems like most people are ok with buying products that directly rip off the hard work, intellectual property and legacy of other companies, so long as it's cheap and it fits their needs. It's as bad as piracy. The market wouldn't exist if the demand didn't exist. Sadly the culture of unethical actions for personal benefit seems deeply embedded within our system. Mahindra benefits, people benefit but in the long run we all lose, as we deincentivize the real creators.

I wish Mahindra had taken the opportunity to make a beautiful new car (even if it had the same functionality as the Wrangler) with an original, novel design to steal the market and make a name for itself. Now it continues to be a company undeserving of respect, out to make a quick buck off the coatstrings of another company.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-tharjeep.jpg  

suneel is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:25   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I think he meant something like the image attached (taken from TeamBHP's 60 40 split seat thread).
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20190404_110916.jpg  

JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:30   #1510
BHPian

My thoughts are purely based on the photos and videos posted.

Team Mahindra has done a great job. From the pics and the videos seen so far, the cosmetic package interior & exterior coupled with the hardware specifications looks really great. Loved the Thar with Hard Top. The paint work looks simply awesome.

A lot will now depend on the actual 4X4 capabilities, the ride and handling over long distances & of course the all-important PRICING. I presume that the team has taken a month’s gap to announce the pricing in order to try and gauge the PRICE-PULSE of the enthusiasts and feedback on the package. I just hope they consider the Covid-19 scenario and price the Thar sensibly or should I say aggressively.

Not sure if they can address the negative feedback on the front grill & almost a non-existing glove box. Also the placement of the aerial looks good, however one of the reviews pointed out at very poor radio reception. Hence, not sure about its practicality.

From the capabilities prospective I just hope that the New Thar performs better with the hardware specifications provided.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th August 2020 at 16:54. Reason: Typo, and please avoid typing with.... dots... Thank you!
Old 17th August 2020, 16:54   #1511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulspace999 View Post
I don't think there is any non 4WD variant planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
I’ve always been a fan of off-roading, however, I never had the opportunity to own a 4x4 or experience that lifestyle.
Please check this wonderful thread by SST

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...-how-done.html (Driving all four wheels: how is it done?)

Should answer all your queries. If not, you can post your 4WD related questions on that thread.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 17th August 2020 at 16:55.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 17:03   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
One more tumble is what I was referring to so that the rear seats folds and rests against the front seat's back liberating lot of floor space. This feature is there in most hatchbacks.

OR.
After tumbling forward, they should fold sideways like the last row of the Innova.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 17:07   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
but then understood that it will only make another Bolero .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Looks like Force Toofan. Better to leave Thar as it is.
Still looks a Bolero to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

"OK" My friend sighs and searches. wrangler india. Ends up in Wrangler India. Lots of denim jeans everywhere.
This cracked me up so much but this really shows what a failure Wrangler has been in India
darkLightning is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 17:22   #1514
Senior - BHPian

James D. Farley, Ford Motor Company Chief Operating Officer, tweets about new Thar and Anand Mahindra replies.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200817171553_twitter.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200817171603_twitter.jpg

Source : Twitter

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th August 2020 at 18:25. Reason: Punctuation. Thanks.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 17:25   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulspace999 View Post

Any idea what the base version of the new Thar will be equipped with - Alloys, ABS, EBD, cruise Control, Air Bags from a safety perspective?
Let me try and answer to the best of my knowledge.

1. 4WD is standard across all variants.
2. Base AX has no HVAC, EBD, Cruise Control (only in the LX).
3. Base AX has 2 Airbags and ABS.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks