Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2019, 22:45   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Question: Why are there 4 power window switches? Very interesting.

I think there is another version with an inbuilt stereo system and steering wheel controls.
Interesting observation, maybe the hard top has 4 power windows and is a 5-door version like what Wrangler also has.

The steering is a straight lift off from the TUV300, and this mule lacks a Music System, but there might be a factory fitted system in the production model, maybe even the one on the KUV100 or other budget friendly Mahindra models compatible with those buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
How come the transfer case is to the left of the shifter. Will it not be hard to reach.
Maybe for the ergonomics! Do keep in mind that this Thar is wider, and the 4x4 Shifter is not something used as often as the 5-Speed Stick Shift, so in order to utilize the wide Central console and for ergonomics sake, they may have positioned it on the left of the manual gear lever.

But on a personal note, I would have preferred a rotary knob for 4x4 selection (Shift On The Fly like in Safari Storme and Scorpio etc.), that looks better and saves space while retaining the function.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 11:43   #227
Senior - BHPian

At least the interiors now look at par with Gypsy
Mahindra you are 20 years late.

In any case, I am liking the new squat stance that Thar is carrying, though it is not as iconic as the "taller boy" stance of MM540 or the Classic.
Old 14th June 2019, 12:34   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
But on a personal note, I would have preferred a rotary knob for 4x4 selection (Shift On The Fly like in Safari Storme and Scorpio etc.), that looks better and saves space while retaining the function.
Well! Coming from someone who has a vehicle with that rotary knob and have completed 9yrs with it, over 2 lakh kms, all I can say is, that the mechanical lever in the Thar (existing as well as upcoming) is better, way better!! Most proper offroaders usually have a lever for the 4WD function for a reason.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 12:56   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ask people what a pain it is to use electric 4x4 selector. Imagine you are stuck in mud and you rotate the knob to 4 high/low and other than few blinking light nothing happens
There are numerous such examples including me.
Its a bad situation to be in. Better to have a stick which engages 4wd than knob which just light few bulbs in dashboard.
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 14:04   #230
BHPian

Wrangler inspired dashboard is what I can see here. Few observations though:

-I wonder if they will fit a touch screen unit on the top slot.
-Seats look like that they have good support.
-Exposed screw behind the steering looks ugly.
-What is that square object between the AC vents at the center?
-I can't see any USB slots unlike the Wrangler which has them.
-I wish they made the interiors more premium. Eg: the dash looks like it has shiny hard plastic. Door knob and pads look like they are from the 90s.
-Exposed metal in the B pillar could have got some cladding.

On the exterior I feel the new Thar would look more mature over the existing one. But still let's wait to see it unwrapped.
sub.g84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 18:38   #231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More spied pics of the 2020 Thar,.....
That's it! - the picture worth a thousand words! That glimpse of a portion of the hard-top (through the small "artfully" torn piece of camouflaging!) will come as a breath of fresh air to many of us who hope to get the 2020 Thar - for whom the absence of the factory hard-top was the raison d'etre for not going in for one!
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 09:03   #232
BHPian

Right from Mahindra Classic days, I have been dreaming of owning a "jeep". But being in the urban jungle and not being able to afford different cars for different purposes, it has remained a dream. With the Next Gen Thar, I had a hope that Mahindra would make it more urban-user friendly and retaining most of its "brute" nature. However, seems like Mahindra is in no mood to grant my (and of many others, I'm sure) wish.
Old 15th June 2019, 09:24   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Now it has started growing onto me. I'm liking the new Thar more with every new spy shot. This set shows it as a very matured and contemporary looking SUV albeit with little genetic resemblance with the MM550, which is understandable.

I believe the 4 power window switches and steering mounted controls might be because of quick parts bin picks for the test mule. Wont be surprised if the final version comes with only 2 power window switches and no music system/steering mounted controls. Its going to be a costly affair and removing music system will help Mahindra keep face value low.

They should do a better job with the A and B pillars on the inside. Its safe to assume the A pillar won't be flip-compatible with Jugaad like upto the current Thar. It's now really a necessity to cover these up properly with plastic panels. At least with Alto grade materials. Please.

And who would have imagined the transfer case shifter so much to the left?! Considering how much effort it takes on current Thar, it would be a surprise if accidentally the actual transmission doesnt shift into 1-3-5 during that fight with Borg-Warner.

Overall, looks excellent from the rear, rear 3 quarters. Well done Mahindra. With Tata now only looking to make stylish looking soft vehicles for the urban masses, no point in expecting an affordable and capable lifestyle off-roader from them, you really are the only beacon for the enthusiasts and purists.

Last edited by navin : 15th June 2019 at 16:19. Reason: typo
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 13:51   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I believe the 4 power window switches and steering mounted controls might be because of quick parts bin picks for the test mule. Wont be surprised if the final version comes with only 2 power window switches and no music system/steering mounted controls. Its going to be a costly affair and removing music system will help Mahindra keep face value low.

They should do a better job with the A and B pillars on the inside. Its safe to assume the A pillar won't be flip-compatible with Jugaad like upto the current Thar. It's now really a necessity to cover these up properpy with plastic panels. At least with Alto grade materials. Please.
If the steering mounted controls were only because of parts sharing, then I am pretty sure that they could use the steering from the base variant of TUV300 which has airbag but no mounted controls. I would rather take it as a positive sign to see the next Gen Thar with features like Steering Mounted Controls to make it stand out from the Spartan Gurkha.

Looking at the hard top test mule, even I doubt having power windows at the back, but you never know what tricks Mahindra may have up it's sleeve. Even if they make it more Wrangler like and still price it around or a little higher than the hard top Gurkha, I am sure enthusiasts will lap it up for sure.

As far as the A and B pillars are concerned, I do hope that Mahindra covers them up nicely with plastic panels, heck even my Nano Twist XT has better finished pillars because of plastic panels covering them.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 17:12   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Question: Why are there four power window switches? Very interesting.
I guess this unit will be from any existing Mahindra lineup. They would have put it for the sake of it and will get a 2 switch type later on. I will not read too much to this, hope you are not thinking about a 4 Door Thar like a Wrangler
Old 15th June 2019, 17:24   #236
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to follow the test mule for few kilometres on the highway, road manners seems to be quite impressive for a Jeep! Road presence was amazing and acceleration seems to be quiet good.

Mahindra can sell this in good numbers if they can make it practical enough. Expecting them to price this close to 20L for the topend trim with autobox.
Old 15th June 2019, 19:28   #237
Senior - BHPian

Render of the upcoming Thar based on spyshots by CarToq's Vipin

Link

Name:  Screenshot_20190615192449.png
Views: 3955
Size:  394.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190615192453.png
Views: 3968
Size:  405.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190615192444.png
Views: 3983
Size:  401.8 KB
AdityaDeane is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 22:44   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Render of the upcoming Thar based on spyshots by CarToq's Vipin
Good work I should say. This render is very close to real unless, Mahindra throws a trick down the sleeve like Tata did with initial test mules of Harrier. Harrier in a Range Rover body!
I like the new subtle changes and squat positioning of the new Thar.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th June 2019 at 15:11. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 16th June 2019, 06:50   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Render of the upcoming Thar based on spyshots by CarToq's Vipin.....
Nice rendering from Vipin, Aditya! But the soft-top shown (it is a soft-top, right?) once again makes me wonder about the stories floating around about the factory-fitted hard-top! M&M certainly know how to tickle the family jewels with these splendidly controlled leaks!

Last edited by shashanka : 16th June 2019 at 06:52.
Old 16th June 2019, 08:30   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Nice rendering from Vipin, Aditya! But the soft-top shown (it is a soft-top, right?) once again makes me wonder about the stories floating around about the factory-fitted hard-top! M&M certainly know how to tickle the family jewels with these splendidly controlled leaks!
Looks like a soft top to me as well, but a hard top in such a matt finish would definitely look cool.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed