Old 4th October 2019, 11:25   #391
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

slalom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 11:47   #392
Senior - BHPian

More images: Next-gen Mahindra Thar spied

New images of the next generation Mahindra Thar have surfaced online, which reveal a more close-to-production test mule of the Thar.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar1.jpg

The test vehicle has circular headlamps and a 7-slat grille. The turn signals appear to be positioned on the front fenders. The car might get an integrated front bumper with circular fog lights on either end. At the rear, the Thar has rectangular tail lamps and bumper with additional lights. It is sporting a hard top and has a tail gate-mounted spare wheel as well. Also note that this test vehicle is riding on 5-spoke alloy wheels. The car also appears to have rear disc brakes.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar2.jpg

The next generation Thar is expected to be powered by a 2.2-litre diesel engine producing around 138 BHP and could be paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox and a 4-wheel drive system. Reports suggest an automatic variant is likely to be introduced at a later date.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar3.jpg

The new Mahindra Thar is expected to be launched sometime next year.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 11:49   #393
BHPian

Wow, this looks like a production-ready version Can see its got LED tail lights, and cool looking 5 spoke alloys.
Overall, I am very much optimistic about this hardtop version and won't mind having one in my garage!

Last edited by Venku2015 : 4th October 2019 at 11:57.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:50   #394
BANNED

Few excerpts from the article:
Quote:
  1. Sources tell us that the test mule had 18-inch alloys shod in 285/65 R18 MRF Wanderer tyres.
  2. The new Thar will come with a factory-fitted hard top as well, as seen in the spy shots. There are talks of the model also getting removable roof panels as well, at least for the front row.
  3. From what we know, the Thar will come with a 6-speed manual gearbox initially, with an automatic variant set to join a little later.
  4. There are talks that the automatic would feature two-wheel- and four-wheel drive variants, as the former would appeal more to urban buyers.
  5. Higher variants are expected to come with a touchscreen infotainment too, something that was never before offered on the Thar.
  6. According to speculation, the petrol unit will be the same 2.2-litre engine that does duty on the XUV500.
Source: ACI

Last edited by Aditya : 4th October 2019 at 19:05. Reason: Same images posted a couple of posts above
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 12:24   #395
BHPian

Looks very promising. Should be launched with AT from day 1. Will sell like hot cakes if the interiors are comfortable, rich and packed with leather.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 13:03   #396
Senior - BHPian

Now that is the real badass. I always thought Kia was trolling M&M with that meerkat reference in the Seltos commercial. Come on M&M, price the automatic with sufficient safety equipment below 15 lakhs on road, and show the world who the real badass is.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 13:23   #397
Senior - BHPian

Another point which can be seen is how well balanced the from and rear wheels are.

1. The rear isn't too inset in the wheel well. Its pretty much aligned with the front.
2. The front and rear spacing above the tire is nearly the same which gives a very balanced look to the vehicle.

I have been using a friend's thar for a few days now who advised me to keep his before plonking money on the limited edition 700. Boy am I happy I took his advise.

This thar borrowing coincided with some lower back pain that I am currently suffering with and drivingt the Thar is a total nighmare! With the suspension and the soft top.
My back is aching and my ears are ringing with all the traffic noise which coming in due to the soft top.
I'm back in my soft Storme and very happy that I have it!

This new Thar if it comes with the proper Hard top and comfortable ride, would definitely find place in my garage as one thing is true that this is a very manageable vehicle in day to day traffic if it was comfy and silent.
navpreet318 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 13:32   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I know these pictures will disappoint the MDI3200TC engine praising, bottom end torque praising die-hards, but I sure like this model and will be getting one for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
This new Thar if it comes with the proper Hard top and comfortable ride, would definitely find place in my garage as one thing is true that this is a very manageable vehicle in day to day traffic if it was comfy and silent.
Many of us in the same boat. I think this model will be a runaway success for sure.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 4th October 2019 at 13:34.
Old 4th October 2019, 14:17   #399
BANNED

Hopefully, Mahindra might tune this Thar to have a balanced combination of adequate low end torque, along with decent midrange punch. I wish Mahindra also work on a five door version as well, like we see in FCA Jeep Wrangler.
Old 4th October 2019, 15:40   #400
BHPian

The end result looks pretty balanced, and that's quite something for a new type Mahindra. This should satisfy the SUV/minivan crowd. They truly deserve their comfy. Hope it sells well and brings in enough to keep an actual jeep layout version in production for the people who care. And if that happens to be, pray it comes with a compliant version of the torquey, wait for it, MDI3200TC unit. And the original jeep layout being leaf-sprung solid axle with drivetrain similar to the now lost Thar DI. Or the alive Roxor. Let's see if this re-skinned Scorpio lives up to the 7-slots it's made to wear.
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 16:10   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The Thar is always awesome. So much have I dreamed of owning one with hard top from factory. Mahindra took too long to come with one. However - if the hard top is FRP or similar plastic base material - it will not give you much noise insulation at all. So don't set your expectations too high for now I'd say.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 21:02   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
...... So don't set your expectations too high for now I'd say.

Frankly with my current experience of an old Thar and how it behaves, I'm not keeping up any expectations. only way one will find it's way would be after multiple long TDs. Maybe snatch a thar from one of the friends who buys one and keep it for a week and drive everywhere daily. Only and only then it'll come in.

I have enough of work to tire me out. My daily drives are something I always look forward to and even today the storme sometimes gives me a smile with the complaint ride and super comfort. So it needs to fit into my way. Not the other way around.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 06:08   #403
BHPian

Impressed by the effort put in by the team at Mahindra but I can't get over the fact that from what I see, it looks eerily similar to the outgoing Jeep Wrangler (the JK series) and I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing. Is it a necessity for Mahindra to stick to the 7 slat grille design? Could they not make it a 10 slat or a 9 slat to give some uniqueness to the Thar? I mean, internationally, the new Thar will be looked down as a less expensive Wrangler clone and given the fact that Mahindra owns Pininfarina and Ssangyong, I do believe they could have worked a bit harder on the design.

Having said all that, I can't wait to see the final product though. One thing's for sure, the Thar will be a start to exciting times ahead for the Indian motoring scene, especially amongst the off road enthusiasts. Imagining MT tyres, winch and raised suspensions on the new Thar
Old 5th October 2019, 12:28   #404
BHPian

This should have been the model they should have released long ago instead of the half baked current contraption. I see a front skid plate too.
The proportions seem to be a little bit off compared to the wrangler .To avoid lawsuits?
tomraven99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 22:58   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
This should have been the model they should have released long ago instead of the half baked current contraption. I see a front skid plate too.
The proportions seem to be a little bit off compared to the wrangler .To avoid lawsuits?
The half baked contraption is what established the brand Thar, it is what hardcore offroaders like us swear by. I would rate the present Thar as a classic something which real auto aficionados like the Late Behram Dhabar so lovingly crafted. The next-generation Thar has to qualify the already high set benchmarks of its predecessor. Till then it's too early to predict whether it would be equally competent.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th October 2019 at 11:16. Reason: Typo.
maverickrider00 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed