Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2019, 12:05   #451
SR7
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Captured some morning shots (including interior) of one of the Thar still staying at the hotel.

Attachment 1947236

Attachment 1947237
If you look at the centre area between the front seats, there are only 2 power window switches present, obviously for the front windows - if you recall earlier spy pictures in this thread, M&M had used a 4-button module during testing. So, it appears that this 2-button module will be the production spec. I've re-posted @ottocyle's picture with the markup.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-17f85fcd941848c4907d6ba05e743d90.jpeg  

SR7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 12:38   #452
Senior - BHPian

Great Scoop.
The new iteration of That looks very tempting and user friendly.
I see Cruise Control and a proper AC control panel. Interiors looks quite upmarket. I expect the pricing to be around 15Lakhs. I am looking forward to the launch of new Thar closely.
I want my next car to be an EV, this might be the only car which can change my mind.
speedmiester is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:49   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Not to take away anything from this New Thar.
Is it just me being puritanical or has Mahindra been very guilty of taking loads of inspiration and liberties based on the Jeep Wrangler design?
Even including, but not limited to, the front radiator grille?
Considering that they lost the Jeep license in 2004-2005 or so.
And from what I have read, Jeep has worldwide trademarked the 7 slatted grille for its own vehicles...

I do hope that just like the Jeep Wrangler people did and the Landrover New Defender chaps too, that M&M also completely reinvent and launch this new Thar with up to date Safety Kit and other functional kit so that it is relevant to today’s times.

On a side note, I am also seeing lots of these silly little Brezzas with some kind of after market 7 slat Jeepy sort of front radiator grille...
It's pretty ridiculous, the degree to which they are ripping off the Wrangler's design. Even the interiors are heavily inspired.

I agree that there are so many cars out there these days with 7 slat vertical grills. I wonder why there's no legal consequences here for this level of design copying and infringement.

Either way, at least the new Thar will move slightly into this era, since the last one is still built on 50 year old tech.
Old 19th December 2019, 15:07   #454
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Any chance you had a look at the rear seats? Were they forward facing?
Yes. The seats were forward facing. Though i couldn't notice head rest in them. This one was for lower trim which didn't have Alloy wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This one below is the Scorpio (Ladder frame underneath)
That is what I was also thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Great Scoop.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Did you happen to see the tire size? Confirmed 18 inchers?
Went again to check this They are using MRF Wanderer. The lower trim had 245/75R16. The higher trim with alloy wheel had 255/65R18. We casually chatted with guys there about size before taking it's picture. They said, it is same as those used in Fortuner.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20191219110246.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20191219110338.jpg

We casually talked to one of those guys about the possible launch date for Thar. He said it will be launched next year with BS6 engine. He said all the test mules were fitted with BS6 engines and they are mainly testing the engines before launch. About asking about the event, he said it was mainly related to BS6.
ottocycle is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 18:31   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Went again to check this They are using MRF Wanderer. The lower trim had 245/75R16. The higher trim with alloy wheel had 255/65R18. We casually chatted with guys there about size before taking it's picture. They said, it is same as those used in Fortuner.

Thanks for the confirmation ottocycle.
Wonderful size ratio for an 18 incher with the body size. Means the vehicle will be large and comfy with no real need to upsize tires.

Now I'm just hoping that this would be a good comfortable riding machine unlike the dreadful ride of the current version. I hope mahindra pulls out on ace this time with the Thar!
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 18:50   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the pics with all detail.

2 things that caught my eye. The 18 inchers are marked with M+S(Mud and Snow in stock form) and the driver seat has Lumbar Support Adjustment. Looks very good with all the details coming out slowly.

I must say that I envy you ottocycle you were at the right place at the right time!
soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 19:58   #457
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation ottocycle.
Wonderful size ratio for an 18 incher with the body size. Means the vehicle will be large and comfy with no real need to upsize tires.
Yes. The 18 inchers definately looked good in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics with all detail.

I must say that I envy you ottocycle you were at the right place at the right time!
I certainly feel lucky for this one actually.

I stay at place where i had seen almost no camoflaged vehicle. So it was like dream watching so many camoflaged vehicles in one place.
ottocycle is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 14:05   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. The seats were forward facing. Though i couldn't notice head rest in them. This one was for lower trim which didn't have Alloy wheels.

Good move by Mahindra, as usually steel wheels are preferred over alloys in off-roading (to prevent damage to alloys).

The wheels are not the same size as the Fortuner; the Toyota has 265/65 R17 and 265/60 R18 tyres.
The 255/65 R18 size is shared with the Alturas G4; looks like Mahindra wants to dispose off excess stock. IMHO 18 inch wheels are a size too large for off-roading, 15-16 inches would be ideal (like the erstwhile Pajero with 15” tires). Our off-road experts can elaborate on these two points.
artemis_fowl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:02   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
I agree that there are so many cars out there these days with 7 slat vertical grills. I wonder why there's no legal consequences here for this level of design copying and infringement.
A little birdie connected with MM tweeted that "may be those who want this grill go and get it early before the 'legal issues'.

Also a bit of negative info that a AT version is not on the cards immediately:(

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:56   #460
BHPian

We have more reports coming in. Received this information from a hardcore off road enthusiast who claims to have driven the 2020 Thar in Kottayam.
1- The new Thar will likely be powered by a new 2.2 Diesel Engine producing 130 HP. It will be mated to a 6 speed gearbox. There is initial lag but the the thar accelerates effortlessly in third gear.
2- As expected there will be a Hard top and a Soft top version. The Hard Top version will come with Front facing rear seats whereas the Soft top will come with Side facing rear seats.
3- The new Thar will come with Power Windows, Central Locking, Rollcage, Cruise Control and height adjustable seats with lumbar support.
4- Automatic version will come in at a later date. Petrol engine launch timeline unknown.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20191223145019.png  

Last edited by Octy17 : 23rd December 2019 at 15:04.
Octy17 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 15:05   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
A little birdie connected with MM tweeted that "may be those who want this grill go and get it early before the 'legal issues'.......
Won't matter for a vehicle like Thar. Retro fitment would always be an option.

AT would have been option only after initial acceptance of the vehicle as a mainstream option for city users. Only when they see numbers, they'll start giving options like AT etc.

That's why I like the 18 inch tires and am hoping for a good comfy riding vehicle. This could become a very good city vehicle as well. And that is when we will see an AT come into the picture.
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:52   #462
BHPian

Looks promising
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mahi...0607042685250/
slalom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:00   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Sure does! Commands awesome road presence. Thanks for sharing.
Old 23rd December 2019, 23:17   #464
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! 2020 Mahindra Thar alloy wheels, tail lights spied

Thanks to Shobhit Garg for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar122.jpg

New spy images of the next generation Mahindra Thar reveal the car's new alloy wheels and tail lights.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar123.jpg

The new Thar is wider and retains its 7-vent grille and circular headlamps. It has marker lights on the fenders that appear to have integrated LED daytime running lights. The integrated front bumper houses circular fog lamps. The car has new 5-spoke alloy wheels.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar12.jpg

The Thar has a large skid plate at the front and integrated side steps. At the rear, the car has rectangular clear lens tail lamps and a chunky bumper with reflectors. The test car has the hard top and a full-size spare wheel mounted at the rear.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar124.jpg

Last week, we had shared interior spy shots of the new Thar. Click here to checkout those images.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar125.jpg
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 07:44   #465
BHPian

Really nice proportions. Does give "common man's defender" vibes to me
Shashwat.75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed