Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2020, 21:44   #631
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Haha these Brits really don't like the Wrangler do they?

I think the new Thar has so much potential for a market like ours. Mahindra, please launch it with a hard top and locking differentials. The leaks are looking so promising, but the final product better have all the gizmos and features we are praying for.
imranstael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 22:16   #632
BHPian

The Thar website says the price as 9-10 lakh. That's ~13 lakhs OTR in Bangalore. The next version will be a little pricier than this and if I'm in the market for an off-roader I will wait for Jimny to come to India (or a confirmation that it won't come to India) than go for the Thar.
casnov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 11:36   #633
BHPian

I would rather wait for the Jimney as well. At least that vehicle has some originality and Japanese quality engineering behind it.

When has Mahindra ever delivered on real quality. They always give us lots of gizmos and chrome, but what about engines and drivetrain? Axles, suspension etc?

I would be surprised if they even give the Thar anything beyond leaf springs.
Old 27th February 2020, 18:40   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in.

Spy images suggest that the new Thar will be wider and is likely to feature a 7-vent grille and circular headlamp.
A quick question on another note - Why is that these test cars always or mostly have a "TN" registration?
Old 27th February 2020, 18:51   #635
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
Haha these Brits really don't like the Wrangler do they?
Three brits and one lad from Chennai
Old 27th February 2020, 19:00   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
The Thar website says the price as 9-10 lakh. That's ~13 lakhs OTR in Bangalore. The next version will be a little pricier than this and if I'm in the market for an off-roader I will wait for Jimny to come to India (or a confirmation that it won't come to India) than go for the Thar.
Moment of truth :
Suzuki Jimny India production started

Last edited by anandpadhye : 27th February 2020 at 19:02.
anandpadhye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 20:20   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A quick question on another note - Why is that these test cars always or mostly have a "TN" registration?
Mahindra cars are developed at Mahindra Research Valley, near Chennai. That's why you would see all test mules with "TN" registration plates.
Old 28th February 2020, 12:37   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Indeed a moment of truth. If Maruti Suzuki do decide to start production of the Jimny, many who have been tracking the launch of the New Thar will now adopt a wait and watch policy.

If the pricing is removed from the equation, the Jimny will be the first choice of many who are looking for a smallish lifestyle vehicle, wth off road capabilities thrown in. After all, the Jimny has been tested in various markets around the world, whereas the Thar mules are still out there testing.
Old 28th February 2020, 14:30   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Moment of truth :
[/url]
It does change the dynamics quite a bit. Now it boils down to the launch timings. Maruti will take some time to get its line ready to roll out Jimny for India market as the article mentions they plan to export it as well.

So now we have the Japanese reliability vs two frugal engineered vehicles fighting it out. Interesting to see
Old 28th February 2020, 15:43   #640
Senior - BHPian

Considering Maruti's track record, I don't see the Jimny seeing the light of day anytime soon if at all.

I wouldn't wait for something that may never materialize.

Plus a powerful Diesel beats a Petrol anyday when it comes to slow rock climbing and really serious offroading.

From the numerous leaks of the Thar it also looks to be better equipped and quite modern.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th February 2020 at 10:21. Reason: Typo.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 16:25   #641
Team-BHP Support

Jimny is also a small vehicle - smaller than a WagonR.

That's good news for pure offroaders, but not for most of the folks looking for a lifestyle vehicle with a mix of touring and off-roading abilities.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th February 2020 at 22:34. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 08:28   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Considering Maruti's track record, I don't see the Jimny seeing the light of day anytime soon if at all.
Very true. The only reason gypsy stayed alive unchanged for so many years is because of govt orders. Maruti is purely a mass market brand not interested in low volume models.
My only hope of Jimny launch is if they start producing the models here for exports due to constraints in the Japanese plant. The 1.5 engine and the auto/manual transmissions are already here in other Maruti Models.
I think the Jimny will sell in decent numbers.
Old 29th February 2020, 10:04   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Plus a powerful Diesel beats a Petrol anyday when it comes to slow rock climbing and really serious offroading.

From the numerous leaks of the Thar it also looks to be better equipped and quite modern.
Yes but at least buying a Jimny will be buying into an original product that has its own heritage and design language. It just feels authentic.

On the other hand the Thar is and has always been a ripoff of the Jeep and now Wrangler. I guess a lot of people don't mind, but I know many enthusiasts only prefer buying original designs. Same reason many stayed away from Hyundai (who consistently launch ripped off designs).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th February 2020 at 10:21. Reason: Quoted post edited.
imranstael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 11:16   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Indeed a moment of truth. If Maruti Suzuki do decide to start production of the Jimny, many who have been tracking the launch of the New Thar will now adopt a wait and watch policy. *SNIP*

I doubt it because from what I read, Suzuki will not offer the 1.5L engine in India. A car that looks like the Jimny but does not perform like one may find buyers who only care about what the badge says and what the car looks like - it may not attract the people who want the Jimny for what it is supposed to be able to do.

Cheers
Old 29th February 2020, 11:56   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
Yes but at least buying a Jimny will be buying into an original product that has its own heritage and design language. It just feels authentic.

On the other hand the Thar is and has always been a ripoff of the Jeep and now Wrangler. I guess a lot of people don't mind, but I know many enthusiasts only prefer buying original designs. Same reason many stayed away from Hyundai (who consistently launch ripped off designs).
Actually the Jeep is also a Ripoff from Willy, same as Mahindra. Both have manufacturing licenses from Willys to manufacture the "Jeep" type vehicles.

Mahindra has held the license from Willy's since 1947, that makes it the oldest manufacturer for the "Jeep" type vehicle. There is enough Legacy behind it. It is another matter that Mahindra never took it seriously and the MM540 and now the Thar were always considered rural oriented vehicles.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed