Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2020, 22:10   #661
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

It seems that with all the added benefits the new Thar is surely going to look upmarket but may have the following disadvantages:
1) Pricing might cross the figures of 15L
2) reduced Off road ability or convenience in off road condition due to addition of electronics

Whatever be the final outcome the consumer’s approach will decide the future course for the product.
Old 8th March 2020, 16:58   #662
Senior - BHPian

New Gen Thar will set a benchmark for sure and will surely pass on the heat across segments between 12-20L bracket IMHO.

Although it takes Jeep’s inspiration, it surely is a unique one on the road once launched at an affordable tag (let’s hope) with all the features.

If it hosts an LED HL unit then it would just justify the looks I feel

Who knows I might buy one for myself in future if fate has it for me in store!
Old 8th March 2020, 18:55   #663
BHPian

While its almost guaranteed Thar is going to offer a petrol variant, supposedly the mStallion 2.0L, I still think Mahindra won't offer the max output (190hp) that engine is capable of. It's more likely to be detuned to around 150-160hp.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is there any new buzz on a NEW 2.0L diesel? If not, I am pretty sure, the Thar will pick up the 2.2 mHawk engine (BS6) and configuration pretty similar to the present-gen Scorpio (120-130hp).

Another point to note, with all this size gain, how much heavier is the Thar going to get?
Old 8th March 2020, 20:00   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Speculated to be launched in mid 2020, the New Thar will be premium ( incl.pricing) than the current SUV.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-11.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-12.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-13.png

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 21:37   #665
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or do the fenders have a hint of old 70s/80s Land Rovers and our Jongas? Also, are the headlights farther apart from each other than they are in Wrangler? Whatever, it's one hell of a looker. Mahindra, please throw in a proper torque converter at the launch itself. No point giving AT a year down the road when the novelty has worn off.
Old 9th March 2020, 00:19   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Speculated to be launched in mid 2020, the New Thar will be premium ( incl.pricing) than the current SUV.

Link
There is a lot of confusion prevailing w.r.t which Diesel powerplant will be used in Thar. Only Mahindra knows the real thing.

Still a few thoughts.
Autocar India were the first one to report (March 2019) use of all new 2.0 Diesel in Thar. All other car websites seemed to create a differently worded news article based on ACI's. But of late, ACI has been reporting that Thar will be launched with BS6 updated 2.2 mHawk. Now again with the power output for 2.0 Petrol variant, ACI quoted 190HP, and everyone followed suit.

I have a sneaking suspicion that ACI may be correct as I have seen tweets from Mr. Hormazd about Mahindra Powertrains which he got a sneak peek of, and even Anand Mahindra re-tweeting. This may be from a layman's point of view, but the dearth of other reliable information makes me think so.

In my opinion, if Mahindra is planning a new 2.0 Diesel, it makes sense for them to plonk it in Thar considering it is an all new car and it will also be used in NextGen Scorpio & XUV500. Also, Mahindra may require an Engine swap for the Thar in its product cycle if they launch it with 2.2.mHawk initially, considering mHawk is an old (not dated) engine. Hope someone can help confirm the same in coming days.

Anyways, fingers crossed for the pricing.
Old 9th March 2020, 13:02   #667
BHPian

Another update claiming "exclusive". Mid April Launch?

Quote:
Now, dealer sources have hinted to HT Auto that the next-gen Mahindra Thar will arrive by the April second week. The vehicle will also be available for display/test drive at the select Mahindra dealerships later in the same month. Its pre-bookings may start from as soon as April first week, or before.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...662801138.html
Old 9th March 2020, 15:25   #668
Senior - BHPian

Why on earth is that there is no scoop of the rear seats please. Now that the launch dates are more or less confirmed, why not just remove the camouflages and get us the real pictures of the Thar.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:11   #669
BHPian

Couple of years ago I had done the maths on getting it comfortable-enough for touring; and it came to around 12-lakhs. And getting there involved dealing with multiple vendors, no guarantee of reliability and carried the risk of voiding the warranty.

For a lot of people like me, who don't have the time to spare or don't have an inherent sense of adventure in tinkering endlessly with their vehicle, the new Thar becomes an attractive proposition at anything under 15-lakhs. There is certainly a market there for Mahindra and one that probably has little overlap with other vehicles in the same price range. You are not going to buy a Thar in place of a Kia Seltos. Maybe, a few outliers will, but their numbers are going to irrelevant.

The hardcore-off-road bunch are a poor target market to build a product for, as their numbers will never justify investing a lot in rebuilding a platform from the ground up. In any case, very few stock vehicles can do the kind of serious offroading some of the forum members do. If there is a pathway for them to build the new Thar up to the desired levels of performance, it will do for Mahindra.

Going places with terrible terrain in India is often a case of a reliable vehicle with good ground clearance. We have driven around across in India in 4x4 vehicles and often see so many local Sumos and Boleros on bald tyres do the same on 2WD. Having a 4WD helps, but plenty of people do this on 2WDs with just far better driving than what we wind up doing.

Looking at it that way, a Thar with decent capability, comfort and reliability will accomplish a lot more, compared to building one for extreme capability.

Also, there is no BS6 body-on-ladder-frame 4WD available in India under 20-lakhs. The new V-Cross is going to be north of that. The BS6 Hexa, if and when it is launched, will also be above 20-lakhs. Effectively, the new Thar can address that vast gap, unless MSIL decides to spring a surprise on us and launch the Jimny at ~10-lakhs.

The problem for Mahindra is if it gets closer to 20-lakhs OTR in major markets, the value for money proposition will take a beating. And I really hope they can keep it around 15-lakhs, give or take a couple.

P.S.: The new Thar always looked to me what the TUV 300 would have looked if they had not gone for the crazy raked doors.
codelust is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 20:45   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar again:

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-11.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 21:13   #671
BHPian

This is probably going to be the longest "spied" vehicle in India. Perhaps the emission norms are not being met! If not, why this delay, even if it is a completely new platform?
Old 11th March 2020, 21:41   #672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
This is probably going to be the longest "spied" vehicle in India. Perhaps the emission norms are not being met! If not, why this delay, even if it is a completely new platform?
People have the same complaints about TATA products too - simply because ~100% of the road testing is carried out on Indian soil and we get an overload of information.

In this case of the Thar, it hasn't been all that long though - just a little more than two years since the car was first spotted testing with an old body. The first spotting with the actual body was only from April 2019 - and the car will mostly be launched by April or May 2020.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 12:14   #673
BHPian

Saw a video in Youtube in which the person has captured Old THAR and NEW THAR back to back (both company vehicles).

Gives some more idea regarding old vs new in terms of external appearance.
petrol_power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 13:36   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Saw a video in Youtube in which the person has captured Old THAR and NEW THAR back to back (both company vehicles).

Gives some more idea regarding old vs new in terms of external appearance.
I still see side facing seats in the new Thar. Didn't multiple sources say that we are finally getting front facing ones?
Old 13th March 2020, 13:45   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I still see side facing seats in the new Thar. Didn't multiple sources say that we are finally getting front-facing ones?
If I am not wrong, only the top-end hardtop version of the upcoming Mahindra Thar is expected to come with a front-facing seat.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks