Team-BHP - The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/184808-2020-next-gen-mahindra-thar-driving-report-page-86-a-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreedotk (Post 4471727)
The New Marazzo engine is actually more powerful than the Thar CRDe engine 120 Bhp vs 105 Bhp and 300 Nm of Torque vs 247 Nm of Torque. ............

Not too sure whether M&M would want to take this route, though it is an option, I guess, if it wants to cut the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 4472107)
Thar is a lifestyle vehicle and since there is no competition, Mahindra is able to get away by charging a tidy sum for a basic and rudimentary package.

I would agree with you, that M&M is able to get away with charging a premium for a very basic package because of the lack of competition in this segment. Force Gurkha, for various reasons, hasn't been able to make a significant impact to have M&M thinking of cost cutting measures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 4472107)
Putting a 1.5 will totally ruin the package. I think they will put the detuened 2.2 mhawk from the TUV300 plus (9-Seater) with the fixed geometry turbo.

Isn't the 2.2mHawk the same engine that powers the TUV300? If so, I believe, driving on highways is a bit of a let down, since the engine lacks power, particular when engaging in overtaking. At least, that is what I have read on this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zezé (Post 4472192)
Isn't the 2.2mHawk the same engine that powers the TUV300?

It is from same mhawk family but minus one cylinder. It is the 3 cylinder / 1500 cc version of the mahwk.

Quote:

If so, I believe, driving on highways is a bit of a let down, since the engine lacks power, particular when engaging in overtaking.

You are correct, there was lots of reports/talk about this version being under-powered, so they make a 100bhp (re-mapped) version of the same engine and put in the top end TUV.

The TUV300 plus however has the same 120bhp/32kgm Torque Fixed Geometry Turbo 4 Cylinder engine from the first Scorpio mhawk.

In rural areas the Thar extensively for towing trailers, pumpsets etc us folk need at least a 2L engine. With the 1.5 it will be rendered useless for rural areas.

However M&M being M&M will try to knock off as many birds with one stone and with the 1.5 they and the short TUV they can continue to get the tax advantage.
They wont be able to resist this temptation.

I too hope it will have a 2.2L.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMT (Post 4472393)
In rural areas the Thar extensively for towing trailers, pumpsets etc us folk need at least a 2L engine. With the 1.5 it will be rendered useless for rural areas.

However M&M being M&M will try to knock off as many birds with one stone and with the 1.5 they and the short TUV they can continue to get the tax advantage.
They wont be able to resist this temptation.

I too hope it will have a 2.2L.

I wonder how M&M will square the circle; on the one hand, cater to the core market for the Thar, which it rural India and in industries like mining and on the other hand, try to increase volumes by plonking in a lower powered engine on a chassis that gives a tax benefit.

But yes, I too hope that the 'new' Thar will have a 2.2l engine. Honestly, if the choice is between a powerful engine and classic looks, I will chose the former.

New, BIGGER Mahindra Thar Spied For The First Time, likely to debut at the 2020 Auto EXPO.

Possibilities of the new Thar,

Quote:

- New-gen Thar could make its debut at Auto Expo 2020

-Likely to be based on a new platform, new Thar should conform with future safety norms

- Likely to retain Jeep CJ5-inspired styling

- Looks significantly wider than the outgoing Thar

-Will get BSVI-compliant diesel engine and with more safety features

- Daily usability is expected to improve with improved seats and additional goodies

- Will continue to rival the Force Gurkha as Maruti is unlikely to bring the new Jimny anytime soon

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-1.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-3.jpg

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4512630)
New, BIGGER Mahindra Thar Spied For The First Time, likely to debut at the 2020 Auto EXPO.

This is undergoing Chassis/Drivetrain test, the upper body is a widened version of the present Thar. The absence of Front Auto Locking Hubs indicate that this is based on the Scorpio Chassis, infact the rear track is also wider hence.

Here is an interesting rendering of the new Thar by the cartoq team.

Source: https://www.cartoq.com/exclusive-201...est-spy-shots/

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-tharrenderspybased.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Six (Post 4514928)
Here is an interesting rendering of the new Thar by the cartoq team.

Such retards, this cartoq team. They have a FWH at the rear too :uncontrol

More images: Next-gen Mahindra Thar

Thanks to BHPian satya180 for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_0422.jpg

The next-generation Mahindra Thar has been spotted testing in Coimbatore again. The new set of spy images reveal the vehicle's wide body and new front end.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_0421-2.jpg

The test vehicle is instantly recognizable as a Thar. However, it looks wider than the current model. The Jeep CJ5-inspired styling has been carried over and features a 7-slat grille flanked by circular headlamps and pre-production indicators mounted on the fenders. The windshield appears wider and is fixed. The car has a fabric top, side steps and a side-hinged tail gate. This particular test mule appears to have some testing equipment mounted at the rear.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_0438-2.jpg

The next-generation Thar is expected to be based on a new chassis and is likely to comply with upcoming safety and emission norms. It could be powered by a BS-VI compliant diesel engine mated to a 4-wheel drive system with locking differentials. The spy images suggest that it could get independent suspension at the front.

There are rumours that the new Mahindra Thar will make its debut at the 2020 Auto Expo.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_0411.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_0407.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Well the Jeep does look wider - probably they took the feedback from owners on the stability of the car. Hope Mahindra plonks in a good set of alloys to complement the overall design. Looks like Mahindra is all set and is on a roll across segments especially for SUV by launching new products very frequently.

1) Refreshed XUV500
2) Marazzo
3) Alturas G4
4) XUV300
5) Thar (to debut later in 2019)

The test vehicle really appears wider ! A wider vehicle enjoys good road presence, better stability and appears masculine!

A little out of topic but it seems all the excitements are now a days with Indian manufacturers!

Take all the new products like Marazzo, XUV300 and now next-gen Thar, Mahindra's innovation team's performance is on fire. So is Tata with their new offerings!

In comparison other Indian foreign manufacturers appear dull and conservative in their performance including market leaders.

The rear suspension is coil sprung? I don’t see any shackles in the pictures above.

This looks like a great car, I love the wide stance. Going by Mahindras' reputation, I think this will be a great car.

Wonder what is the box behind? Is it for real world emissions testing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreedotk (Post 4471727)
The New Marazzo engine is actually more powerful than the Thar CRDe engine 120 Bhp vs 105 Bhp and 300 Nm of Torque vs 247 Nm of Torque.

But, there is a real benefit to displacement when it matters. Especially for a vehicle like Thar. It can crawl forward up in 4L/4H on the most hostile surfaces even without accelerator input due to this sheer grunt from the block. Sometimes, the numbers on the brochure doesn't mean anything. I would actually prefer the larger displacement engine even if the power/ torque figures are lower.

Quote:

Not too sure whether M&M would want to take this route, though it is an option, I guess, if it wants to cut the price.

I guess the smart chaps at Mahindra wants to define the next-gen Thar as a 'small car' like the Alto and all. You see, less than 4 meters in length and also got a 1.5 liter diesel block! Oh! The magic of our really stupid small car rule!! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 4515201)
The test vehicle really appears wider ! A wider vehicle enjoys good road presence, better stability and appears masculine!

All good for the on road prowess I am sure. But I really prefer the current smaller footprint of the the vehicle off-road. It works well over there due to this - tight turns, narrow gaps or track - really no sweat! There is a reason why mountain goats are not cows.

Mahindra's seems to be moving away from ugly designs. I hope they keep the basic design element of the Thar the same. Just like Porche has done with the 911 and Jeep with the new Wrangler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethomasv (Post 4515318)
The rear suspension is coil sprung?

Good observation. Yes, it is coil sprung. Looks like the shortened chasis from the latest Scorpio. That explains the wider track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 4515324)
Wonder what is the box behind? Is it for real world emissions testing?

Most likely emission testing. I see a number of Mahindra vehicles running on test in Niligiris with this box attached at the back.