Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2020, 19:47   #901
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Mahindra did it with Mojo and now with Thar. people will lose interest when they launch it someday. Even though the product might turn out to be good, the intrest might have fizzled out by then to public.

IMO we are so much used to seeing camouflaged THAR spy pics that mahindra should consider camouflage as one of their color options
I will choose to differ here.

We want Mahindra to play Kia Seltos by launching a fully baked product which will fulfill expectations of the various customers in terms of the quality and options provided. We dont want Mahindra to play Tata Harrier which got launched, failed to convert excitement into sales solely due to product quality and specifications and Version 2 was launched after a year which should have been launched in the first place.

Anyway, hardly anyone is able to make any big vehicle purchase decisions currently nor can anyone make the full use of the new vehicle in this Covid 19 situation.
46TheDoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 19:59   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Anyway, hardly anyone is able to make any big vehicle purchase decisions currently nor can anyone make the full use of the new vehicle in this Covid 19 situation.
Agree completely, many of my friends, relatives have postponed their car purchases. Thar is a unique vehicle which has its own market. Its only that this new generation Thar seems to have a broader appeal due to its creature comforts and the new platform. Let them test it thoroughly and release it with lesser issues.
Old 25th July 2020, 20:21   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Mahindra did it with Mojo and now with Thar.
Corona sir. They have to manufacture this thing right?

By the way, the new 2-3 months delay is on top of Nov launch expected mentioned earlier?

Makes sense to move to 2021. Why would someone want to buy a Nov-Dec registration and get tagged as a 2020 model.
Old 25th July 2020, 20:55   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post

I agree. Car sales have fallen big time in my town, too. Makes sense not to buy right now. Where would one drive in it to? No malls, no theatres, no clubs, restaurants. Heck, can't even visit friends or relatives. Meanwhile, this gives Mahindra some breather to ready their Thar in the background for launch when life eventually returns to normalcy. There are at least 3 guys I know who have put on hold their car purchase, waiting for Thar launch. They want to check this one out before buying their next car. And, they're quite upbeat about it from the pics and specs.
Old 26th July 2020, 09:59   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrwagh View Post
*SNIP*

Full comment here - "We are struggling to manage supplies to ramp up capacity to meet the strong anticipated demand mainly from the rural markets and the footfall at the showrooms has reached 40% and the enquiries at almost 75% compared to the regular times before the last three or four months. We expect the rural scenes and vehicle subscription options to drive sales over the next four months".
Vehicle subscription options? I hope this does not mean what I think it means.

Cheers
Old 26th July 2020, 11:00   #906

Yes. Thats what Mr. Veejay Nakra said in the recent interview with ET Auto. Watch 11:00 mins onwards where he mention that Mahindra is mulling the Vehicle subscription option. That will be a boon for THAR especially
yrwagh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 17:15   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Makes sense not to buy right now. Where would one drive in it to? No malls, no theatres, no clubs, restaurants. Heck, can't even visit friends or relatives.
Where would one drive to in a 4x4 off-roader? One can only hope that Thars aren't purchased to go to malls, theaters, clubs and restaurants.

Sadly, I think most will end up being mall crawlers, like most SUVs and Jeeps.
suneel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 19:58   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
Where would one drive to in a 4x4 off-roader? One can only hope that Thars aren't purchased to go to malls, theaters, clubs and restaurants.

Sadly, I think most will end up being mall crawlers, like most SUVs and Jeeps.
Asked and answered, yourself. But nothing wrong with that. Not every off-roader vehicle owner has to go rock-climbing. If I own a supercar, it doesn't mean I do necessarily have to drive it at 300 kph. Even on track. You may say, "what a waste!" But some people just want to own a variety of cars and if they can afford, why not? And yes, most of Thars, like other SUVs will end up mall-crawling more than mud-crawling. BTW, if Thar is the only car I own, there is nothing wrong driving to mall, clubs, theatres in it. In fact, owing to it short-wheel base and boxy shape, it will be a delight to park it in tight spots.
pgsagar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 15:42   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Asked and answered, yourself. But nothing wrong with that. Not every off-roader vehicle owner has to go rock-climbing. If I own a supercar, it doesn't mean I do necessarily have to drive it at 300 kph. Even on track. You may say, "what a waste!" But some people just want to own a variety of cars and if they can afford, why not? And yes, most of Thars, like other SUVs will end up mall-crawling more than mud-crawling. BTW, if Thar is the only car I own, there is nothing wrong driving to mall, clubs, theatres in it. In fact, owing to it short-wheel base and boxy shape, it will be a delight to park it in tight spots.
Well I think it's a great time to buy a 4x4 for people that intend to use them offroad / for adventure. With an all time low in traffic and population outdoors, access to trails and nature is super easy and far more enjoyable, because the outdoors are a lot less crowded.

Plus for people who can "work from home" now, the digital nomad lifestyle is more feasible than ever! Outdoor vehicles like the Thar are ideal to enjoy these conditions. I for one have been taking full advantage of them.
suneel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 09:54   #910
BHPian

Mahindra Thar spotted on test ( yet again ). This one looks like the top variant of the Thar.

Link - https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbbar6A...d=o16nsdauyzhz
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_202008040945432.png  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_202008040945352.png  

Octy17 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:53   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sent by my dealership.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-w501_faqs-release1_2nd_aug1.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-w501_faqs-release1_2nd_aug2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2020 at 22:54. Reason: adding watermark. thanks. Flipped as requested
4x4addict is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:32   #912
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octy17 View Post
Mahindra Thar spotted on test ( yet again ). This one looks like the top variant of the Thar.

Link - https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbbar6A...d=o16nsdauyzhz
The leak of the Thar reminds me of the first economics theory I learned in my 11th grade, which is the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility. The more you have/consume of something, the amount of satisfaction/utility reduces as you keep consuming. The Thar leaks certainly prove this theory. Initially everyone were super stoked whenever someone spotted a test car and as the Thar was spotted every week, the excitement levels have certainly reduced.
Nonetheless, I’m very excited for this generation of the Thar. Hopefully it has good highway manners, strong build quality, potent AT and hopefully in house customisation options such as aux lights, light bars, etc.
Mahindra should take a page out of Kia’s book and launch all variants at get go. 4x4 Diesel/Petrol MT and AT variants. Do you folks think they’ll launch a 4x2 variant? I guess we’ll know on August 15th.
VRJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:42   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quoting from the FAQ Q1: " Quantum leap in terms of technology, comfort and safety features"- Quantum leap is a relative term, considering the last-gen Thar was at base zero with respect to technology (other than 4wd), comfort and safety. I hope they really mean what they say.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:52   #914
BHPian

FAQ Q2, Webcast unveil on 15th Aug, that's 10 day's from now.

Unveil will reveal 90% of the Thar, but for the TD.

Hope it's true, not a typo.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 14:05   #915
BANNED

Looking at the different spy shots of rear portion of hard top varients, two different type of rear glass lifting mechanism can be seen ( one with the 2 hinges over the rear glass & one with two rubber). Can someone please explain the reason behind this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed