Team-BHP - The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/184808-2020-next-gen-mahindra-thar-driving-report-page-86-a-9.html)

140 BHP is not at all needed in a SUV. Torque (and low end torque is needed here).

Thar (any jeep) was never used as a primary vehicle in any house. It is always a secondary vehicle for joy rides and off roading.

By the ‘test vehicle’ I suspect on wheel PCD. It look like 140 mm instead of current PCD of 160mm.

Moreover the wheels are much inside from wheel arches and if this is not final wheel-chassis set up then how they are testing articulation?

These are the things that comes to my mind when I see the new Thar test mule:
1) The size reminds me the Thar 'Day break' edition which was showcased by Mahindra some time back. That may be an move by Mahindra to check the public response. The feedback recieved from the Day Break would have gone in to the design thoughts of New Thar.

2) Jeep wrangler will be the inspiration for the New Thar. We can expect a safer Thar, feature loaded with a smoother Engine.

3) Do you think that we will have front facing rear seats? My mind says so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Alok) (Post 4536456)
140 BHP is not at all needed in a SUV. Torque (and low end torque is needed here).

This is not always the case. In certain situations and in certain terrain, you need momentum and speed which comes from bhp. So, a good engine should have a balance of bhp/torque.

The tractor has tremendous torque, but it is not ideal in certain conditions off-road.

Quote:

By the ‘test vehicle’ I suspect on wheel PCD. It look like 140 mm instead of current PCD of 160mm.

The new Thar is based on the new Scorpio platform. It is 5x114.3 PCD.

Quote:

Moreover the wheels are much inside from wheel arches and if this is not final wheel-chassis set up then how they are testing articulation?

The chasis and powertrain has to be finalized. What is probably not final is the body including fenders etc..

More Spy pics and details of the 2020 Thar,

Quote:

Mahindra Thar gets several exterior updates among which is a 7 slot grille, circular headlamps though the tarpaulin roof has been retained. The body gets wider while suspension gets a coil spring set up in the front and suspension to the rear has also been modified. The new Thar gets on flared wheel arches, with front wheel arches mounted higher than that seen on its current counterpart. Ground clearance also appears to be increased.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-4.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-1.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-3.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-5.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-7.jpg

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4549461)

This takes back to good old days of Commanders of late 90s. Am I the only one seeing this resemblance?

Dear Magnus Drayne, great comments. You have put the sentiments of a middle class expectations from a Off-roader like - Thar. Mahindra guys, please note :). When a man buys a Thar, its for whole family to enjoy so some creature comforts wouldn't hurt the budget that much. In any case the on-road price of this vehicle has crossed 10Lacs, No?

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4549488)
This takes back to good old days of Commanders of late 90s. Am I the only one seeing this resemblance?

The boxier lines do give that impression, specially from front head-on view.

But this new Thar is really wide! :eek:

Seems the changes are more internal. Reworked chasis, suspension setup and may be new engine? The body on frame looks half baked and might have been used just for makeshift camouflaging or to create some interest among the enthusiasts.

According to my contacts, the Thar test-mule is just a chassis calibration mule for the upcoming Scorpio and other Mahindra products including the Thar which is still some time away.

It actually is the latest-gen Scorpio's Magna-built chassis that has seen further tweaking for future products. The body is just a mix and match and nothing that will make it to production. Surprisingly, those pictures were posted on an FB group, seems websites these days just put their watermark on anything they find online that's usable.

Seen this test mule multiple time around Mahindra World City. This video is taken 2 weeks back. From what i heard from few people here, this one is to test some internal components like engine with a temporary shell taken from old Thar. However, the new Thar shell is ready and we can start see them in roads soon. Expect it to be more of Wrangler.

https://youtu.be/2jK-isf25fk

2020 Mahindra Thar spied again, likely to be displayed at the Auto Expo.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-1.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2.png

Link

From the current pictures, it is evident that the B pillar and canopy lining is more slanted than the previously spotted test mule. Moreover, the entire look has been reworked tastefully. Awaiting its uncamouflaged picture in full flesh. If the pricing is really between 7L to 10L bracket (as predicted in the link) with new BSVI, fuel efficient engine if compared with the present OTR price of current generation Thar, Mahindra is hitting the perfect spot to capture the off-road enthusiasts' market in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4572760)
2020 Mahindra Thar spied again, likely to be displayed at the Auto Expo.

This is probably the first sighting of the new tub (body)! It will look great in flesh.

The new test-mule looks closer to a production ready model for sure. However I dont know what would the thick body cladding look like in final spec. As of now, it looks like a heavily modded Mahindra Thar or 540 by some local garage.

Some fresh set of snaps from "Throttle Blips". 6-speed Gearknob.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindrathar1.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindrathar2.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindrathar3.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindrathar4.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindrathar5.jpg

Source

http://www.throttle-blips.com/pics-n...iors-revealed/