Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2019, 05:57   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Wow!

1. Those front seats!
2. Steering wheel looks like generations ahead of the current one.
3. Looks like a base variant, and the top end may get a touchscreen HU, going by that protruding console.
4. Side facing rear seats still? Thought they won't pass the new safety norms! Looks like a proper seat though, not just a bench.
5. Rear somehow reminds me of Bolero Invader, rather than Thar. Hopefully, it's just the camo.

Looks worth a wait.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th April 2019 at 05:59.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 09:42   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Couple of things to note:
  1. The previous camo pictures had the new chasis/powertrain combo but old body/dash attached to it.
  2. The latest camo pictures have the new body with the following changes:
    1. The latest camo pictures have the new body with the following changes:
    2. Higher body line, like the wrangler. Unlike the current version where the body line is lower and the canvas taller.
    3. Sloped windshield without rubber beading, but paste instead (hopefully no more leaks)
    4. Much sturder B-Pillar
  3. Revised dashboard.
  4. Six Speed GB.
  5. ABS/Air Bags (Compulsory).

I just hope they offer a factory metal hard top version. Overall, I think it will be a much better Thar. Of-course the die-hards will always complain.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 11:45   #138
KMT
BHPian

Given that the Gurkha top end is 13L+ ex showroom the new Thar is likely to be priced in this category. On road will be closer to 15-16L.
In this territory, the market will shrink quite a bit.

Of course we will get more for our money but it wont be a 'beater' any more.
Old 12th April 2019, 12:20   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Wow!

5. Rear somehow reminds me of Bolero Invader, rather than Thar. Hopefully, it's just the camo.

Looks worth a wait.
While you are right about the Invader influence. The progress made by the Mahindra design team in going from the mm540 to the Invader, was rolled back in the present Thar, in order to keep it true to the mm540 look. The Invader canopy was way better than 540's. Unfortunately, the trade-off is the look of it.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 12:26   #140
BHPian

I wish somebody at Mahindra looks at this post and fulfills my wish.

Need AT in Thar. The day that happens will be first in line to buy Thar. Really like this jeep but cannot drive in this insane traffic a manual anymore.

Or can someone confirm if there is a way to put AT in aftermarket and the cost.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 13:02   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

I just hope they offer a factory metal hard top version. Overall, I think it will be a much better Thar. Of-course the die-hards will always complain.
I had too many complaints with the new looks but come to think of it from an economics perspective, I guess I am overall happy that they decided to keep the model updated through BS6 and whatever hoops they need to jump through.

I prefer the current model for its looks (minus the plastics), but hey if Wrangler could do it, our Thar too can take on similar modern looks.

Will I buy one? Yes. It is still a Jeep(Category of vehicle)
Old 12th April 2019, 13:25   #142
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks very tempting.

1) Good Front Seats,
2) Good Steering Wheel with mounted controls.
3) Improved Dash with possibility of a touchscreen infotainment control.
4) Higher bodyline.
5) Wider body.

Needs factory hard top option.

So this can be something I consider for having fun for a year of so and then selling off.
Old 12th April 2019, 13:29   #143
KMT
BHPian

Mod Note: Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.
We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th April 2019 at 14:01.
Old 12th April 2019, 16:03   #144
BHPian

From the latest spy images couple of things are pretty clear;

1) The 4x4 lever looks to be placed on the L.H.S of the 6 Speed Gear Shifter lever, thereby enhancing leg room for the Driver
2) Good Front Seats with adequate back support. Hope its adjustable for height as well
3) Steering Wheel with mounted controls for ICE and maybe a cruise control (Wish list)
4) Much better looking and Improved Dash with possibility of an Android Auto compatible ICE.
5) Higher bodyline will enhance road presence.
6) Wider body with wheels pushed to the corners will enhance stability
7) Factory fitted hard top option with maybe dual color theme (Wish list )
8) Overall this looks like a vehicle which is worth living in for those long cross country trips with creature comforts.
soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 12:52   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Wow! .........
.......Looks worth a wait.
Yes, certainly worth the wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
.......I prefer the current model for its looks (minus the plastics), but hey if Wrangler could do it, our Thar too can take on similar modern looks.
Will I buy one? Yes. It is still a Jeep(Category of vehicle)
I second you on that score. If it's still a Jeep category vehicle, I'll buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
..........I just hope they offer a factory metal hard top version. Overall, I think it will be a much better Thar. Of-course the die-hards will always complain.
I guess you can't satisfy everyone, but I certainly hope that a factory fitted hard top version is offered. Otherwise, the whole hassle of getting it fixed is something we can do without. Plus the reliability factor.

Was just speculating but is it possible that the Next Gen Thar will be launched later this year itself, instead of being unveiled at the Auto Expo next February. There are two reasons for 'jumping' to this conclusion. One, the current version of the Thar cannot be sold after 30 September 2019, which means production will have to stop even earlier. Two, its only April and we the spy pics we are seeing are those revealing a vehicle in an advanced stage of development.

Any thoughts?
Old 13th April 2019, 13:31   #146
Senior - BHPian

I just hope they make a 5-door Thar with the classic Jeep front-end. Like the erstwhile Commander, even Armada. The Bolero is such a joke compared to those, in terms of looks.
Old 13th April 2019, 14:27   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
The Bolero is such a joke compared to those, in terms of looks.
What we don't realise at this moment, is that, we are surely going to miss the Bolero if it's gone someday!

Besides, if you look at what the Thar is, isn't the Bolero/Scorpio a 4-door hardtop Thar in different sizes!?
Old 13th April 2019, 19:18   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I just hope they make a 5-door Thar with the classic Jeep front-end. Like the erstwhile Commander, even Armada. The Bolero is such a joke compared to those, in terms of looks.
Very true, all except the Gen1 bolero, it did look good.
I think the market for such vehicles exists and are very enthusiastic about it at the same time ready to pay good money as well, however the market for small car like utility vehicles (brezza) is even larger.

Bolero is considered a necessity in a lot of rural households, the owners buy them again for the same reason, it blends in very well. ( you wont look like you have indulged in an expensive purchase )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
What we don't realise at this moment, is that, we are surely going to miss the Bolero if it's gone someday!

Besides, if you look at what the Thar is, isn't the Bolero/Scorpio a 4-door hardtop Thar in different sizes!?
Gen1 bolero looked the best, i miss it already. You are right, the vehicle has become part of many families, I recently drove an mhawk version which was the second one in their family. They exchanged the older vehicle after running it for 2L kms and got 4L plus in exchange value.

While the three vehicles share parts, the drive experience is different and so does the ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post

I guess you can't satisfy everyone, but I certainly hope that a factory fitted hard top version is offered. Otherwise, the whole hassle of getting it fixed is something we can do without. Plus the reliability factor.

Was just speculating but is it possible that the Next Gen Thar will be launched later this year itself, instead of being unveiled at the Auto Expo next February. There are two reasons for 'jumping' to this conclusion. One, the current version of the Thar cannot be sold after 30 September 2019, which means production will have to stop even earlier. Two, its only April and we the spy pics we are seeing are those revealing a vehicle in an advanced stage of development.

Any thoughts?
It is a hassle and most of the hard tops have resulted in rusting of the body, where the top meets the rear tub. I noticed this on many of them. I am sure the owners felt it was necessary for it to be more useable.

They can take their time considering no alternatives but, here is what happens when they take it dor granted .Recently Tata added 4wd to xenon Yodha , I am not sure if Mahindra has a product to match this now, camper has a lower payload and the older mahindra pikup 4WD is no longer there. They better hurry.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 01:18   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Exactly, which is why I mentioned it. But they took away the best part of its looks i.e the front!
Early Boleros had those iconic good looks. And then they had to go and "innovate" on that timeless design.. .

A Wrangler-style family jeep is probably the easiest thing they can do, they just have to "see" the obvious need for it.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images.jpeg  

Last edited by rajushank84 : 14th April 2019 at 01:23.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 17:52   #150

Re: Mahindra Thar 2019/2020: A wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I am firmly in the M&M club & I too love the Thar - and since I'm no hardcore off-road enthusiast (my touring over the years being restricted mostly to Mumbai > Lucknow > Uttaranchal and back to Mumbai) I've been hoping that a factory-fitted hard-top version would put in an appearance sometime - in vain.

But I'll stick my neck out & insist that the Scorpio is probably the most well-rounded & inclusive product to come out of their stable. And its long run is well-deserved. My love affair lasted 14.5 years - I bought mine in '04 and sold it just a month ago. And it was a sweet & sour affair! We have had a blast with it all along - us and our menagerie of two generations of boxers!
Oh, you're not sticking your neck out on this! I absolutely forgot how important the Scorpio was. And you are right: "well-rounded" is how many would describe the car. And you have had one for 14 years! However, it got very expensive, didn't it? They kept pushing the 4x4 version further away from the hands of most buyers. What's the point of having such a rugged vehicle if a vital ability is turned into a premium feature?

My hope is they keep price of top variant to Rs 12 lakh on-road. The rear layout is still bench. A price of beyond Rs 10 lakh for a car such as this should ensure at least four can sit in comfort.
Magnus Drayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed