Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2019, 07:26   #196
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
What are your thoughts ?
I believe you should wait for the new thar. Spy images reveal several things starting from better seats to all new dashboard, a hard top to chose from and possibly an AT as well as a petrol engine. I think it's worth the wait! Oh and an all new sturdy chassis which I am hoping to be better in terms of safety!

Last edited by karthikd21 : 1st June 2019 at 07:28.
karthikd21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 16:39   #197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
I believe you should wait for the new thar. Spy images reveal several things starting from better seats to all new dashboard, a hard top to chose from and possibly an AT as well as a petrol engine. I think it's worth the wait! Oh and an all new sturdy chassis which I am hoping to be better in terms of safety!

I concur heartily- specially the bit about the factory hard-top. That in itself should be enough to start a stampede (relatively speaking!)
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:22   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
I too concur with your reasoning for waiting for the Next Gen Thar.

Based on the spy pics and the reports emanating, M&M have finally come to accept that there is a sufficiently large market where the customer will pay a premium for enhancements to the Thar. Hence, reports of better seats, new dash, hard top option, etc. And, yes, even AT. In fact, items on almost everyone's wish-list are likely to provided, albeit at a price.

The only feature that may get a go by is the 'classic' Jeep look of the current gen Thar, which makes the heart thump of the aficionados and heads turn on the road. But I guess, that if the safety and comfort features are delivered, one can make that compromise.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:45   #199
Senior - BHPian

Saw next Gen thar and it has different interior altogether with airbag and ABS. It has a new display which show multiple information including which door is open.
Similar to Jeep wrangler, it has modular hard top. Though seats were not front facing but little birdie told me that production model will have front facing seats.
Shubhendra is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:17   #200
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing a lot of comments about hardtop.
Usually, are hard-tops easy to remove (lets say to enjoy sun or soak in rains) and re-install?
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:43   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am seeing a lot of comments about hardtop.
Usually, are hard-tops easy to remove (lets say to enjoy sun or soak in rains) and re-install?
Not a Thar owner but has enough wheels time on these hence, commenting;

The Indian made ones I have seen on Thars (both South and North origins) are no where near easy to take off or Install and and are not too friendly to frequent removal & re-install. Specially when compared to those comes with Jeep Wrangles, if you get the drift.

The ones that were on Thar in Italy and South Africa are almost in the same leauge as those on Wranglers

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:15   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Wider cabin? Doubt it because the pictures posted by ACI show the same body.

I happened to see both prototypes on the chennai to ulundurpet highway yesterday. The older one doing the spy picture circuit, was the first version with the new/wider chasis and ill fitting original body with straight windshield.

The second one was the later one with the new chasis and new body with sloped windshield without the rubber beading. The dashboard in this was from the current production version Thar. I can tell you that there is no way they can use the current dashboard as there was about a foot odd gap between the passenger door and the edge of the dashboard. due to the much wider body and chasis.

I can assure you that there will be a new dashboard with the new 2020 Thar.

Overall the proportions were nice, and with the wider chasis and wider body, there will be much better interior space.

I wasn't allowed to click pictures, but the video of me catching up with them is on my DVR, but it is pointless to upload as the same vehicles have already been posted on these forums.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 18:54   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I happened to see both prototypes on the chennai to ulundurpet highway yesterday. The older one doing the spy picture circuit, was the first version with the new/wider chasis and ill fitting original body with straight windshield.

The second one was the later one with the new chasis and new body with sloped windshield without the rubber beading. The dashboard in this was from the current production version Thar. I can tell you that there is no way they can use the current dashboard as there was about a foot odd gap between the passenger door and the edge of the dashboard. due to the much wider body and chasis.

I can assure you that there will be a new dashboard with the new 2020 Thar.

Overall the proportions were nice, and with the wider chasis and wider body, there will be much better interior space.

I wasn't allowed to click pictures, but the video of me catching up with them is on my DVR, but it is pointless to upload as the same vehicles have already been posted on these forums.
Yes the all-new next gen Thar is definitely wider and will be more user friendly.

But I was talking about the Thar 700 Limited edition, dont think that will feature 2 airbags and a wider cabin.
Old 5th June 2019, 11:51   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

So the choices (or the lack of it) we have now are the following.

1. The classic but impractical Thar CRDe.
2. The modern and super expensive Wrangler.
3. Wait for much more practical new Thar.

With the new regulations and BS6, I think the classic Jeep looks will be lost forever ( thankfully the Jeep lives on), anyone who wants a classic Jeep may as well buy the current Thar CRDe now and enjoy it, that's the only one in showrooms now.
Old 5th June 2019, 18:19   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Oh man. Hope they go all the way an offer a full-blown 4-door, hard top, forward facing rear seats variant, with interior niceties. Like a Wrangler. Would be a nice SUV to have.
Its already available & is called SCORPIO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
hi , hope everyone is doing well. Its been sometime i posted on BHP.

I have a Nov 2015 Model Thar, the last facelift that happened. i have driven close to 70k in this period.

i was quite close to selling my Thar this year and was looking for something with safety features. Recently i test drove the Harrier and was suitably impressed by it.

But now with a whole range of Mahindra vehicles coming i have decided to hang onto my Thar till March-Apr 2020. Hopefully by then the Thar 2020 will be out also details of the upcoming Scorpio & XUV500.

from whatever ive read my understanding is that there will be a Signature edition in October 2019 which will have ABS. And now rumors are saying Airbags too.

So does it make sense to wait for the 2020 Thar or get the same 2.6 CRDE engine powered Thar Signature edition. The 2.6 is a brilliant engine, i had it in my Scorpio also. its a known devil !

What are your thoughts ?
We can never expect real world safety in a "jeep" in comparison with contemporary SUVs like the Harrier you tested or any others in the segments from any vendor.

If I were you - I'd pick the Signature Edition, current generation THAR. You are spot on about the 2.5/2.6 CRDe. Its a rugged engine that takes abuse like few others.
Then I'd add a Hyderabad or similar hard-top for whatever 50-70k extra it takes to make it a psychologically safer car for daily use and park-anywhere environment of towns.

The next-gen THAR with its upgrades, new chassis, feature rich cabin & safety features + BS6 compliant engine is sure to cost a bomb and will make you opt for the Harrier/Scorpio/XUV500 in all likelihood.

A THAR or any JEEP is for its JEEP thing. Not for bells and whistles and gizmos. They dilute the Jeep in my honest opinion.

When I buy a Jeep or a THAR, I don't want the following in it -
1. MFDs, LCD information displays
2. High feature ICE with touchscreen and what not
3. Any automatic gizmos like ESP, auto-headlamps, wipers
4. Too much comfort
5. Too many electronic switches & dials instead of hard-to-use levers that make mechanical noises of engagement and disengagement.
6. Mobile app connectivity, follow me home lights etc

The new THAR in its wider stance does not look like the JEEP I've grown up seeing & dreaming about. I'm seriously contemplating the Signature Edition & lack of parking at my home is the only thing that held me back.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 21:01   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its already available & is called SCORPIO.

We can never expect real world safety in a "jeep" in comparison with contemporary SUVs like the Harrier you tested or any others in the segments from any vendor.

If I were you - I'd pick the Signature Edition, current generation THAR. You are spot on about the 2.5/2.6 CRDe. Its a rugged engine that takes abuse like few others.
Then I'd add a Hyderabad or similar hard-top for whatever 50-70k extra it takes to make it a psychologically safer car for daily use and park-anywhere environment of towns.

The next-gen THAR with its upgrades, new chassis, feature rich cabin & safety features + BS6 compliant engine is sure to cost a bomb and will make you opt for the Harrier/Scorpio/XUV500 in all likelihood.

A THAR or any JEEP is for its JEEP thing. Not for bells and whistles and gizmos. They dilute the Jeep in my honest opinion.

When I buy a Jeep or a THAR, I don't want the following in it -
1. MFDs, LCD information displays
2. High feature ICE with touchscreen and what not
3. Any automatic gizmos like ESP, auto-headlamps, wipers
4. Too much comfort
5. Too many electronic switches & dials instead of hard-to-use levers that make mechanical noises of engagement and disengagement.
6. Mobile app connectivity, follow me home lights etc

The new THAR in its wider stance does not look like the JEEP I've grown up seeing & dreaming about. I'm seriously contemplating the Signature Edition & lack of parking at my home is the only thing that held me back.
Agree 110 percent with your observation. The new Thar seems to be intended for the city bred boys for their occasional frolicking alone. The spirit of the JEEP is lost;rather, was lost at Mahindra, if you please, immediately after the death of a real Jeeper, Behram Sir.
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:02   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar spied,

Quote:
The latest spy shots from Shobhit Mathur of 4×4 India Facebook Group, were clicked when the SUV was on test near Pondicherry.There were total of three test mules of new Thar which were on test run at that time. Two of them can be differentiated in the set of photos posted. One is wearing a spare wheel on the tailgate, while the other has BS6 emission testing equipment at the rear.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th June 2019 at 10:05.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:08   #208
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
The new Thar seems to be intended for the city bred boys for their occasional frolicking alone. The spirit of the JEEP is lost;rather, was lost at Mahindra
Sigh, purists will always be hard to please. These are the exact same comments that MM550 fans made when the Thar was launched, that the Thar is a mall-wagon.

Relax, buddy. When the next-gen Thar is launched, we will take it offroad and tell you how it performs in mud-plugging mode.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:32   #209
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar spied
Looks like a fusion between Wrangler at the front and Jimny at the back. As Jimny seems to be a distant dream, this hard-top Thar will be a practical Jimny in Indian conditions.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:45   #210
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its already available & is called SCORPIO. ......
Har, har! - I couldn't agree more. I ran one (the original '04 Glx 2.6 non-CRDE) for 14 years & sold it - very reluctantly - last year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed