Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2019, 16:12   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Nice rendering from Vipin, Aditya! But the soft-top shown (it is a soft-top, right?) once again makes me wonder about the stories floating around about the factory-fitted hard-top! M&M certainly know how to tickle the family jewels with these splendidly controlled leaks!
Hard top. In-fact there are quite clear pictures out now of the test mule with its camo-wrap removed from the good looking hard-top. There's little doubt left that there will be a hard-top available on offer. About time anyway.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 06:09   #242
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Looks like a soft top to me as well, but a hard top in such a matt finish would definitely look cool.

Definitely cool! And M&M will, in all likely hood, offer both options - the hardtop for the prudent crowd like me and the soft-top for the RFC aspirants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hard top. In-fact there are quite clear pictures out now of the test mule with its camo-wrap removed from the good looking hard-top. There's little doubt left that there will be a hard-top available on offer. About time anyway.

Yes, and it was the picture (volkman10's post) with the torn camouflage that gave hope. And it is certainly time that they offered something to the saner folks - who prefer to have the cake & eat it too!
Old 20th June 2019, 00:05   #243
BHPian

Is it really Thar upcoming in 2020, Man it looks more like Thar 1990.
In the age when when futuristic looks, host of connectivity features, (Venue/MG Hector anyone), safety, comfort and geeky features are prominent in almost any modern car/SUV, Thar 2020 looks straight from the factory where MM540/550 were produced just that it was era of 90s.

I know hardcore Mahindra/Jeep/off-roading fans will be argue for brutal/utilitarian looks/minimalistic electronics and raw feel, yet we have to agree that Thar is a half hearted attempt from Mahindra, which otherwise is excelling in their SUV/MUV segment.
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:03   #244
BHPian

Some more spy shots of 2020 Mahindra Thar Hard Top.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-new-model-2020-hard-top-roof-images.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-2020-hard-top-roof.jpg
Viraj.515 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 14:54   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
In the age when when futuristic looks, host of connectivity features, (Venue/MG Hector anyone), safety, comfort and geeky features are prominent in almost any modern car/SUV, Thar 2020 looks straight from the factory where MM540/550 were produced just that it was era of 90s.

I know hardcore Mahindra/Jeep/off-roading fans will be argue for brutal/utilitarian looks/minimalistic electronics and raw feel, yet we have to agree that Thar is a half hearted attempt from Mahindra, which otherwise is excelling in their SUV/MUV segment.
I disagree,about it being a half hearted attempt.

Thar has never been a bread and butter model. First gen Thar was supposed to be a limited run, and upon success, it became a mainstream production vehicle.Now with the new safety/emission norms, in place, M&M, could have simply washed their hands of the Thar; but instead they are investing in R&D of a vehicle, which is never going to be their revenue raiser.

And these images are of prototypes; not that I have high hopes. But I expect the new Thar to be much safer and liveable than the current one, and that is what, quite a few people have been looking for.

It will offer safety and comfort over the previous model, which will be a win win situations for enthusiasts.

Btw, in this age when LC300 is around the corner, Toyota Australia is selling LC79 like hot cakes until 2019.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-toyotalandcruiser70seriessinglecabchassisgxaustralia-1.png  

akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 23:53   #246
BHPian

Quote:

There is no comparison between the MG Hector, Harrier versus the Thar 2020. They are completely different segments and vehicles.
The Thar is a legacy vehicle and will/should retain its old school looks. as someone who uses a Thar as a daily driver for office everyday, i know im making many a sacrifice. But in the end of the day its a passion project, hence you swallow those sacrifices.
Thankfully due to stringent Government norms now basic safety features like ABS, Air bags have become mandatory. And M&M has no choice but to include these in the new Thar 2020.
For the customer segment which likes the Thar for actual usage and not just a very expensive weekend off road toy, aka people like me; we are thrilled. Now I dont have to sacrifice on things that have been missing. Or run around to multiple vendors to get hardtops, interiors etc changed.

Its good to see M&M move in the right direction, Thar 1 was a hasty job and had terrible interiors and no features.
The 2015 facelift was a slight improvement and now the 2020 hopefully will be the finished vehicle we need and want.
Ksingh544 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 15:42   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I disagree,about it being a half hearted attempt.

Thar has never been a bread and butter model. First gen Thar was supposed to be a limited run, and upon success, it became a mainstream production vehicle.Now with the new safety/emission norms, in place, M&M, could have simply washed their hands of the Thar; but instead they are investing in R&D of a vehicle, which is never going to be their revenue raiser.

And these images are of prototypes; not that I have high hopes. But I expect the new Thar to be much safer and liveable than the current one, and that is what, quite a few people have been looking for.

It will offer safety and comfort over the previous model, which will be a win win situations for enthusiasts........
Completely agree that the Thar was never a 'bread and butter' model for M&M. It's always occupied a niche in the portfolio of the company. In fact, we have to appreciate the fact that monies are being invested in R&D so that the production of the Thar continues, albeit in a new avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
There is no comparison between the MG Hector, Harrier versus the Thar 2020. They are completely different segments and vehicles........

........For the customer segment which likes the Thar for actual usage and not just a very expensive weekend off road toy, aka people like me; we are thrilled. Now I dont have to sacrifice on things that have been missing. Or run around to multiple vendors to get hardtops, interiors etc changed.

Its good to see M&M move in the right direction, Thar 1 was a hasty job and had terrible interiors and no features.
The 2015 facelift was a slight improvement and now the 2020 hopefully will be the finished vehicle we need and want.
Yes, Thar 1.0 was a hasty job, with terrible interiors and no features. Even the late BD Sir, as he was fondly referred to on this forum, was unhappy with the end product.

Thar 2.0 was certainly an improvement and if a factory fitted hard top had been offered, I believe that sales would have been much higher.

Hopefully, Thar 3.0 will be a complete product, which can be used on a regular basis and not mainly for weekend off road activities.

I am looking forward to Thar 2020, even if the 'classic' look is compromised.
Old 24th June 2019, 18:35   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
....but instead they are investing in R&D of a vehicle, which is never going to be their revenue raiser.

Mahindra DOES have one eye on import sales of Thar and has had since the inception of the vehicle. This is why, for example, they originally built it with a neutered 2.6L motor cut down to 2498cc, to make it more exportable.

It was always Mahindra's intention to sell Thars. They just are more than a little incompetent in knowing HOW. If they put a 140hp motor in this new one, probably remap-able to 165hp at least, then they will be selling a few, if they don't inflate the price...and when did Mahindra ever do that ???
Old 26th June 2019, 12:41   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Just curious, what is your take on the Jeep Wrangler ? Should they make it look like MG Hector?
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 12:48   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish this were the case. The one in the 1990 had five doors, front-facing seats and had the ability to add AC (although I think the AC was after-market, at least in the one my father's company had; it was a "super king" AC I think, did a pretty good job).

They should just bring that car back. Let family people be able to buy a Jeep-looking Jeep! Call it Thar, call it Bolero, Armada, Commander whatever. It would be the SUV to have.
Old 26th June 2019, 21:15   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
....It was always Mahindra's intention to sell Thars. They just are more than a little incompetent in knowing HOW.???
No,no they are not incompetent - the Thar was just way down on their list of priorities. The intention was merely to keep the brand alive - till the market was ripe for the current contender. And so we have the 2020 Thar. Their marketing is spot on (the Scorpio, XUV500, XUV300....) and they want to keep the saliva flowing!
Old 26th June 2019, 23:31   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
No,no they are not incompetent - the Thar was just way down on their list of priorities. The intention was merely to keep the brand alive - till the market was ripe for the current contender.
Behram Dhabhar, the senior engineer who created the Thar, was a member of this site. He himself said that Mahindra management is incompetent and he dared to get specific about that right here. His word is good enough for me. As part of the political fallout of Behram's Thar was that he resigned from Mahindra and was quickly hired onboard Tata. I have some personal knowledge of this related to me by Behram.

"The intention was merely to keep the brand alive".....there was no viable Jeep across much of India before there was a Thar so I don't know what you mean by" keeping the brand alive". Behram had to move heaven and earth to get the Thar into production. Not a small amount of help came from letters directly from members of Team-Bhp to Mahindra upper management.

In my opinion Behram Dhabhar's conflicts and battles with his own Mahindra mangement probably was so severe as to damage his health and contribute to his early demise.

I refer you to an old thread. My statements and Behram's response just down the page of this.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post2574020 (Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives)
DirtyDan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 00:11   #253
BHPian

SRK designs

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20190627_000928.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20190627_000938.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 01:33   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
How come the transfer case is to the left of the shifter. Will it not be hard to reach.

Transfer case with manual sticks will only be used while the vehicle is stopped. It makes more sense to have the gearbox in a more accessible position.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 12:21   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Behram Dhabhar, the senior engineer who created the Thar, was a member of this site. He himself said that Mahindra management is incompetent and he dared to get specific about that right here. His word is good enough for me. As part of the political fallout of Behram's Thar was that he resigned from Mahindra and was quickly hired onboard Tata. I have some personal knowledge of this related to me by Behram.

"The intention was merely to keep the brand alive".....there was no viable Jeep across much of India before there was a Thar so I don't know what you mean by" keeping the brand alive". Behram had to move heaven and earth to get the Thar into production. Not a small amount of help came from letters directly from members of Team-Bhp to Mahindra upper management.

Yes the Thar started out as a passion project and would never have seen the light of the day without BD Sir and his drive.
Over the years M&M have realised that the Thar is selling well and have reached this 3rd iteration of the vehicle. Very rarely in the auto industry does one come across someone as passionate as BD Sir.

BD sir was always vocal and helpful to all of us with our Thar issues and niggles
, he also highlighted the challenges being faced by him. Be it with vendors, management, marketing departments etc.

But boss its humble request please don’t speculate on the cause of his death on a public platform. The man was a legend and died of natural causes, let’s not play detective years after he’s passed. It’s irresponsible to say the least.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th June 2019 at 01:52. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Ksingh544 is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed