Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2017, 11:46   #46
BHPian

Re: February 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti's net profit has usually been between Rs. 22,000 - 25,000 per car. The last quarter, it was Rs. 27,000. We'll be seeing it climb slowly & steadily due to:

1. Increased platform sharing.

2. More expensive models (e.g. Ciaz).

3. Ever increasing sales & the resultant cost efficiencies.
Thank you Sir! do we have similar info about other manufacturers? it would be great just to compare other players as come up with an Efficiency rating?

just wanted to see what the companies are taking home, even though maruti is max volume, is there any one better in terms of cash generation per Car?

Last edited by newtonMeter : 8th March 2017 at 11:48.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
just wanted to see what the companies are taking home, even though maruti is max volume, is there any one better in terms of cash generation per Car?
If I remember correctly Toyota with its Innova was making the most cash. I read it on a post in TeamBHP itself. Now, I am not able to find it.
Old 8th March 2017, 12:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti's net profit has usually been between Rs. 22,000 - 25,000 per car. The last quarter, it was Rs. 27,000.
The last quarter nos. for Maruti were as follows:
1. Volume - 387251 cars
2. Net Sales - 166 bn -- ASP is 4.29 laks
3. EBITDA - 24.89 bn -- EBITDA/car is ~64,000
4. Net Profit - 17.45 bn -- Net profit/car is ~ 45,000

These numbers do not have any exceptional gain or loss. So the net profit per car for Maruti is about 45,000.

And yes, the ASP and profit/car are expected to increase in future due to better product mix (higher priced car with better profit margins) and higher sales numbers (leading to lower fixed cost per car).
manish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:35   #49
BHPian

For the Hexa 2 months gone and the sales number is not very encouraging.

1498 & 1026 for months of Jan'17 (launch month) and Feb 2017 respectively.
Compare this with XUV 500 for these three months: 1689 (Dec'16), 2144 (Jan'17, launch month of Hexa) and 2190 (Feb'17).
So is there any impact on the sales of XUV 500 owing to Hexa? I don't think so, at least for now.

Now lets dare to compare with Innova Crysta: 6552 (Dec'16), 5013 (Jan'17, Hexa launch month) and 6054 (Feb'17). Can we say that Innova sales somewhere got impacted in the launch month of Hexa, the excitement factor.
But then Innova again pulled in Feb'17.

Creta and Breza, which are not in the same segment though, have kept their markets intact, rather grew by around 10% in Feb'17.
Do people want a fancy vehicle, so called SUV (look & GC don't make a vehicle an SUV) rather than a real SUV, like the Hexa?

For such a capable vehicle like Hexa, these numbers do not represent its inherent potential (like Aria). However, it is still very early to say anything. Hope for much better sales numbers in coming months and Tata Motors need to introspect and act fast.

Best wishes to Hexa.
Old 8th March 2017, 12:38   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
If I remember correctly Toyota with its Innova was making the most cash. I read it on a post in TeamBHP itself. Now, I am not able to find it.
Here you go - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/180766-revenue-calculation-cars-sold-india-how-many-each-model-brings-its-maker.html
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:43   #51
BHPian

BRV sales tumbled down to 703 cars for Feb'17, more than 50% reduction in the sales figure compared to Jan'17 figure of 1485.

Just to note that Nov'16 sales was also just 419. Dec'16 and Jan'17 figures of 1601 and 1458 respectively, seems obviously, were owing to offers to clear old stocks. There is no new competition in the segment due to product launch.

When a product sales is driven mainly by discounts, that means there is something wrong with either the product (including better offering from competition) or the pricing (if all other factors remain constant).

BRV is considered to be an over-priced vehicle, like many other Honda products including newly launched City. Now to command a premium over its justified price it seems BRV doesn't have much to offer than 7 seats (Sales in C2 segment, sans sedan category, have seen good rise for Creta & Breza, might have eaten BRV share).

Innova has also increased its share but it is in different league and cannot be compared only based on similar seating arrangement, like BRV comparison with Renault Lodgy may not be justified. But Hexa can be a cause of worry (even Hexa sales has also dropped, but it is very early to say something.) So, for BRV, it appears the following 2 things are the way out:

A. Refresh the model and improve the offerings and value proposition.
B. Revise the price (not by giving only discounts, it happened for many cars including S-Cross recently)

Note: Interestingly there is shown a sale figure of 316 against WRV, which is still not launched, may be on account of pre-booking. I don't know it is correct or not!
Old 8th March 2017, 12:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
was just wondering - Maruti has sold 0.126 million cars in a month - Lets assume a very very conservative Rs 50000 net Profit per car on an average. Thats a staggering 6300 million Rs OR 95 million USD per month of pure CASH.
Quote:
Maruti's net profit has usually been between Rs. 22,000 - 25,000 per car. The last quarter, it was Rs. 27,000. We'll be seeing it climb slowly & steadily
OT for this thread, but could not resist

Since MS is a listed company, just checked the 2015-16 numbers. What I can tell you is that
Gross margin MS made over cars sold was a staggering 36.63%. It may not be the best in the industry (not sure) but this is huge, since they also have a 50%+ market share.
Net margin stood at a mere 8.3%

But we know whats more important here. (Royalties to the parent will affect the net margin)
EDIT: Royalties account for 5.75% of the sales. Add that back and the true net margin per car will be 14%.

And considering the fact that cars like Baleno & Brezza will contribute throughout the current year (as against a part of 2015-16) the net margin is all set to increase, along with the gross margin since both these cars are premium pricing + accepted very well in the market.

Source: http://www.marutisuzuki.com/annual-report/

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 8th March 2017 at 13:00.
vinit.merchant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:52   #53
Team-BHP Support

It’s literally a playing field with shared by Japanese, Korean and homegrown players, with some Europeans doing the job of benchwarmers.
  • VW have Vento competing with the City, but the latter sell 10 times more! Skoda has nothing to talk about except that it’s doing comparatively ok in the higher segments with Octavia and Superb. I won’t be surprised if Audi is the best seller among VAG brands.
  • Renaults is almost non-existent without the Kwid!
  • Ford continue to be a confused teenager and Fiat is happily retired and watching the sunset!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 13:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
For the Hexa 2 months gone and the sales number is not very encouraging.
Hexa plays in a niche field. Its priced 15-21 lakhs and is 4800 mm longx1900 mm wide. The price and length have a crucial role to play, while it would play the role of highway tourer perfectly. The dimensions are tad too big to lug around the city. Considering these factors, a consistent sales in 1000-1500 is not such a bad thing.

XUV took the market by surprise when it was introduced, Hexa doesn't have that luxury.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 13:59   #55
BHPian

Going by the releases Tata has lined up, I sincerely hope that the figures post Diwali or next year February show a big rise in the numbers of Tata. This will reward them for their ability/ willingness to come up with latest designs and will push even the other mainstream brands to re-invent themselves. Esp. Hyundai, Toyota and Mahindra.
Old 8th March 2017, 14:24   #56
BHPian

The great people's car that was about to bring automotive revolution in the country - Tata Nano is selling some 300 odd units per month.

Factors leading to this situation in my understanding.

1. Price- I would keep this as number 1. Indian market is very value conscious. If the promised 1 lakh car had come this would really have taken off in a big way. At that price it just made a lot sense and momentum would have built early. With the prices now it gets into direct comparisions with Maruti vehicles which has such a hold over the Indian Market.

2. Tata Sales/dealer network - Again here the Maruti beats Tata so badly and Tata never invested in really giving customer that experience. On ground execution was not very good.

3. Marketing - Nano does have some appeal in design and with some clever bit of packaging it could have been marketed really well. You never felt a big push from Tatas on this. It was almost like the expected the product to success by itself once they made it.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 16:25   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
1. Maruti Suzuki has atleast one car in the top three in all segments except the SUV space.

2. Ford has dispatched around 149 Mustangs from Sep 2016 to Feb 2017 while Abarth's sales figure for the same duration is a paltry 62.

3. Will be interesting to see if HEXA can match or at least come near the Fortuner's numbers.

4. Wonder who is lapping up the 6,000 odd Maruti Eecos. Not many are visible on the roads.
In North Maruti Eeco is favourite with the delivery guys of logistics companies of budding ecommerce business. Every now and then I can see an Eeco delivering either groceries or other household stuffs (atleast in delhi ncr).
Thanks to companies like bigbsket, snapdeal, amazon, flipkart etc. They have helped Maruti in a way by buying Eeco's.
dieselburner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 17:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemjuneja86 View Post

Toyota is on a roll with consistent sales of the Crysta and the Fortuner. They will go strength to strength with no real competition in the foreseeable future.
I hope top guys @ tata note/ read this. Despite being a tata fan, I've booked Maruti due to perceived lack of confidence in tata service/tass. Also read in tiago thread about how there was some painting issue with a car and how dealership handled it poorly resulting in cancelled booking.

Tata motors should keep a man to watch the net and forums and finish off the issues proactively and interactively. If they cannot think out of box, there's no point in continuing business. Do or die.

Mend Whats wrong, build up Customer confidence. Its difficult but not impossible. Else perish.
Old 9th March 2017, 01:31   #59
BHPian

@ drive2eternity - It's hilarious.

IGNIS deliveries have started from 20th Jan. itself. My assumption is that it may not see the numbers of Swift or even Celerio, due to it's premium pricing. Many of the Maruti fans, who'd booked before the price announcement have cancelled their bookings.

Maruti can afford to price their products very competitively compared to others due to the volumes, it sells. And, yes, the profitability will rise from the current financial year as Maruti is pricing every new product at a premium. Good news for the shareholders, but bad news for Customers who always looked at VFM.
Old 9th March 2017, 08:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Such is the trust in the Toyota brand that the Fortuner sells 4x the number of Endeavours.
I think (and many BHPians will agree) that the Endeavour is superior, although the Fortuner is not too far behind.
The Innova seems to have hit the XUV 500 hard.

I think GM should just shut shop and go back to their home.

Why have the numbers for Baleno gone down? Is it because of setting up lines to prioritise the RS version?

The Brezza needs the 1.0 boosterjet to close the door on the Ecosport.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks