Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 10:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

2017 Audi Q3 launched in India at Rs. 34.20 lakh

Audi has launched the updated 2017 Q3 in India. The SUV will be available in two variants - front wheel drive and all-wheel drive. The new model gets some cosmetic updates and a refreshed engine.

The updated SUV comes with LED headlights with DRLs, 17-inch alloys and a panoramic sunroof as standard. Cosmetic changes include a slightly tweaked front bumper that houses new air inlets. Occupant safety is taken care of by 6 airbags, ABS with EBD, ESP and electronic vehicle immobilization. Other features on offer include hill start assist, hill descent assist, electromechanical parking brake, reverse camera and cruise control.

The 2017 Q3 is equipped with a 2.0-litre diesel engine which is available in two states of tune. The 2.0 TDI Quattro variant puts out 182 BHP and 380 Nm of torque, while the 2.0 TDI FWD trim is rated at 148 BHP and 340 Nm. Both variants come with a 7-speed S-tronic gearbox as standard. The front-wheel drive Q3 can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in a company-claimed time of 9.3 seconds, while the Quattro variant can do so in 7.9 seconds.

Prices (ex-showroom, Delhi)
• Audi Q3 2.0 FWD - 34.20 lakh
• Audi Q3 2.0 Quattro - 37.20 lakh

2017 Audi Q3 launched in India at Rs. 34.20 lakh-audi-q3.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 9th March 2017 at 13:26. Reason: As requested
dZired is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 10:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2017 Audi Q3 launched in India at Rs. 34.20 lakh

Is this a Diesel engine or petrol?
Old 9th March 2017, 10:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is this a Diesel engine or petrol?
Hints:

- Ubiquitous 2 litre engine from VW Group
- 380 Nm/340 Nm torque

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th March 2017 at 10:48.
SmartCat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 11:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hopefully we get the 182 hp version of the same engine with all wheel drive and DSG in the Skoda Kodiaq. That car should cost around the same and will be a much more modern and appealing design with lots more space.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 15:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Hints:

- Ubiquitous 2 litre engine from VW Group
- 380 Nm/340 Nm torque
Just diesel as a reply would have been perfect, Over-smartcat (joking, no offence)

Since this is an official page text it's better to have clarity on these basic things so everyone understands it.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 11:03   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Since this is an official page text it's better to have clarity on these basic things so everyone understands it.
Opening post has been updated to offer more clarity.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 11:47   #7
BHPian

Wonder what changes have happened inside. The instrument panel and electronics and the design looks really dated from inside compared to the new X1.
Old 30th March 2017, 17:05   #8
BHPian

Audi launches the Q3 1.4 TFSI in India at Rs 32.20 lakh

Quote:
The engine in the Q3 1.4 TFSI produces 150PS and 250Nm. It is mated to a 6-speed S-tronic transmission. Audi claims the petrol Q3 can accelerate from 0-100kmph in 8.9 seconds.
This variant of the Q3 too gets the updates that were seen in the 2017 diesel Q3. Some of the standard features include a panoramic sunroof, LED headlights with DRLs, 17-inch alloy wheels and a two-zone air-conditioner.
Source: Autocar
Nicky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 19:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The front-wheel drive Q3 can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in a company-claimed time of 9.3 seconds, while the Quattro variant can do so in 7.9 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Audi claims the petrol Q3 can accelerate from 0-100kmph in 8.9 seconds.
It's disappointing to see the diesel model being faster and more powerful than the petrol model. This will make the diesel model the obvious choice for ALL buyers, including the enthusiasts.

Besides the benefits of diesel being the cheaper and more efficient fuel, in the case of the Audi Q3, it is also the faster car. This is a sad approach by Audi to say the least

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 23:50   #10
BHPian

I got to see the 2017 Audi Q3. The interiors really look plush & rich. The sun roof spans across the top and really looks nice. The vehicle really has a 'solid' feel to it and the interiors are top notch. What I also liked was, it is really easy to slide in & out of the vehicle (as it is not too high nor too low, just perfect).

On the buyback option, for the Audi Q3, the sales rep said that 'generally speaking', the buyback 'guesstimate' is, 1st year the car depreciates by 10% and each subsequent year by 15%. The Q3 comes with a 2-year warrantee. One can add 2 additional years on extended warrantee. Thus, at the end of 4th year the Q3 would have depreciated around 55%. So, for a car of about INR 45L+- that would mean after 4 years it would be around INR 20L +-.

I have couple of basic question on the Audi Q3 (or for that matter any equivalent luxury cars like BMW X1 or Mercedes GLA):

i) Does the Audi Q3 value really depreciates this much after 4 years?

ii) How do most owners deal with expensive spares should they choose to keep the vehicle beyond 4 years after extended warrantee is over? Or is it that it is best to replace luxury cars (may not be with a another luxury car) after 4 years so that expensive repairs can be avoided, if ever required.

Last edited by geotracks : 29th April 2017 at 23:53.
Old 30th April 2017, 09:53   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
2017 Audi Q3 launched in India at Rs. 34.20 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
I got to see the 2017 Audi Q3. The interiors really look plush & rich. The sun roof spans across the top and really looks nice. The vehicle really has a 'solid' feel to it and the interiors are top notch. What I also liked was, it is really easy to slide in & out of the vehicle (as it is not too high nor too low, just perfect).

On the buyback option, for the Audi Q3, the sales rep said that 'generally speaking', the buyback 'guesstimate' is, 1st year the car depreciates by 10% and each subsequent year by 15%. The Q3 comes with a 2-year warrantee. One can add 2 additional years on extended warrantee. Thus, at the end of 4th year the Q3 would have depreciated around 55%. So, for a car of about INR 45L+- that would mean after 4 years it would be around INR 20L +-.

I have couple of basic question on the Audi Q3 (or for that matter any equivalent luxury cars like BMW X1 or Mercedes GLA):

i) Does the Audi Q3 value really depreciates this much after 4 years?

ii) How do most owners deal with expensive spares should they choose to keep the vehicle beyond 4 years after extended warrantee is over? Or is it that it is best to replace luxury cars (may not be with a another luxury car) after 4 years so that expensive repairs can be avoided, if ever required.

Just a couple of points of view:

1. The depreciation works quite quickly: around 20% in year 1 and 10% for every subsequent year. So at the end of 5 years the car is valued at about 40% of its original purchase value.

2. Typically the First owner takes the biggest depreciation and tax hit unless he/ she hangs on to the vehicle for a sufficient time and extracts his/ her ROI from it. This is why in general, it is a very good idea to scout about in the used car market, when shopping for a luxury marque! (See the other thread on TBHP about Lateral Upgrades).

3. Most of these luxury cars are bought by high earning businessmen or companies/ corporates or independent professionals who can claim depreciation against taxable income. Such people tend not to put too much mileage on these cars because invariably this is 'one' of the cars in their fleet and anyway they tend to change their cars every so often.

4. Many of these cars are also bought by Company Execs on 'Lease-plans' where there is a built-in buy-back 'assured value' at the end of the lease period, whether 3 years or 5 years. The lease plan attempts basically to keep the consumer within the brand and extract a higher lifetime value from the consumer by 'forcing' an 'upgrade' every so often, to the next level. It is also true that many of these cars are bought by chaps with large disposable incomes and by those having 'different' sources of wealth. But that's as may be and not pertinent to this discussion.

5. When buying an expensive car, yes it makes solid sense to go for the maximum 'extended warranty' and the 'comprehensive insurance with zero-depreciation' benefit as well throughout the life of the vehicle when it is in one's hands. This helps to guard against potential expensive parts replacements during the 'extended warranty' and helps to an extent (in the event of accident damage and / or other mishap) even after the expiry of the extended warranty, through the 'zero-depreciation' insurance.

6. Maintain the car well. Use only the Authorised workshops at all times, so as to be able to get the benefit of original parts and consumables and to retrieve its official service history at any time in the future.

7. Yes, if one buys an expensive car, then it is best to be prepared to spend well on it's maintenance and upkeep and spares. There is never going to be any respite from that, notwithstanding whatever one may be told.

Personally, I am not truly a Luxury Brand owner - I own a 5.5 - 6 year old Skoda Yeti which is just a Mass+Prestige = Mass-tige brand.
It was quite expensive by my standards when I bought it. And I do spend a fair bit every year on its upkeep and maintenance - perhaps I am a bit obsessive in that sense, but I actually spend an easy 25K a year on this car plus another 30K on the insurance including zero-dep.
I am not sure, when and indeed, if, ever, I will make the transition from Mass-tige, to Prestige, Luxury and beyond, especially since I live right here in India where these vehicles are hopelessly over priced when brand new and are taxed to death besides.

In fact although many of my friends and acquaintances have all gone above and beyond on the cars that they own, I am thinking sharply that if at all I consider one of these luxury vehicles, I will probably look at the 'used' route.

My Conclusion in this; If one is trying to 'save as much as possible' and 'wishing to do things on the cheap', in general, then it is better to stay with less expensive, mainstream brands rather than head over the line to the more esoteric and/ or luxurious side.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th April 2017 at 09:56.
shankar.balan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 07:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just a couple of points of view:

1. The depreciation works quite quickly: around 20% in year 1 and 10% for every subsequent year. So at the end of 5 years the car is valued at about 40% of its original purchase value.

5. When buying an expensive car, yes it makes solid sense to go for the maximum 'extended warranty' and the 'comprehensive insurance with zero-depreciation' benefit as well throughout the life of the vehicle when it is in one's hands. This helps to guard against potential expensive parts replacements during the 'extended warranty' and helps to an extent (in the event of accident damage and / or other mishap) even after the expiry of the extended warranty, through the 'zero-depreciation' insurance.

My Conclusion in this; If one is trying to 'save as much as possible' and 'wishing to do things on the cheap', in general, then it is better to stay with less expensive, mainstream brands rather than head over the line to the more esoteric and/ or luxurious side.
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. All valid points. I also see that you are spending annually around INR 25K+- on your Skoda Yeti. That is 'comparable' to servicing of other German luxury cars like, Audi, BMW, & Mercedes. Did not realize higher end Skoda cars also cost as much or close to the German luxury cars for annual maintenance costs.

Looks like for 'higher end cars' whether they are CBUs or CKDs (e.g. upcoming VW Tiguan, Jeep Compass etc.) they all costs quite a bit for regular annual servicing as well spare parts.
Old 1st May 2017, 08:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, 25k is a pretty acceptable yearly spend for a discerning diesel car owner in BLR at least. Budget around 12- 15k for the servicing, add a full body polish for 9k and an interior enrichment for 1.5k. For a petrol, budget around 10k for annual service.

I think a luxury car's annual spend will be significantly more due to the service & wear and tear part cost, but let an actual owner comment.
Old 1st May 2017, 08:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. All valid points. I also see that you are spending annually around INR 25K+- on your Skoda Yeti. That is 'comparable' to servicing of other German luxury cars like, Audi, BMW, & Mercedes. Did not realize higher end Skoda cars also cost as much or close to the German luxury cars for annual maintenance costs.

Looks like for 'higher end cars' whether they are CBUs or CKDs (e.g. upcoming VW Tiguan, Jeep Compass etc.) they all costs quite a bit for regular annual servicing as well spare parts.

While it is a good idea to look at the pre-worshipped ones in luxury car market, it is also important to look out or wait for huge discounts for brand new cars.

It is not unusual to expect 20-25% discount on ex-showroom price if you look hard and negotiate well. At times, a new car works out to almost the same price as that of a 1-2 year old car. You get an added advantage of additional warranty period in case of a new car.

In fact when I was searching for a used BMW 3 series, I was not able to find a good used Luxury line 320d for less than 37 lakhs in my city. Ultimately a new one was costing 43 lakhs odd during the end of last year. I believe there is no point in purchasing a used car if you are going to save only 10-15% of the price.
ece2k2 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 10:21   #15
BHPian

Talking about depreciation, I am being offered about 20 lac for my Audi Q3, 2013 diesel done 38k kms. Silver colour in Delhi.

However, I have decided to retain it and buy a Jag later in the year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks