Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 11:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Well-maintained 15 year old car in Delhi NCR - Now what?

Hi,
My relative has a 15 year old Petrol Hyundai Accent GLS in excellent running condition. Unfortunately the registration is expiring in May and as the vehicle will complete 15 years the registration cannot be extended in Delhi/NCR. (infact, I am told 100 kms around NCR).

Battery and tires were replaced last year only and engine was overhauled completely. The car is quiet spacious, comfortable and has good low end torque. It is quiet fun to drive compared to cars coming out recently, therefore my relatives would have preferred to continue with it, but to abide by law they are forced to change.

They are considering CIAZ as replacement, where dealer has offered 30k for the car + 30k exchange bonus, i.e. total of 60k. Dealer says they will scrap the car (but I really doubt that).
A quick online evaluation at Carwale.com shows 77k as resale value of the car, but I suspect that tool does not factor 15 year age limit of NCR.

What do you suggest, should they go ahead with the exchange option or are there better options?

PS: They know CIAZ is no fun to drive, but for overall package they decided for it.
ST7677 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 11:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Well-maintained 15 year old car in Delhi NCR - Now what?

I doubt the scrapping part. The car would be sold & re-registered in nearby towns that don't have this 15-year restriction.

So maybe your folks can try selling it themselves and should be able to get a better deal than what dealer offered.
supremeBaleno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 11:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hardly any cars of NCR are getting scrapped. I am now witnessing a huge number of DL registered old cars like M800 etc flooding my city.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 11:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
What do you suggest, should they go ahead with the exchange option or are there better options?
Exchange will be the easiest, least time consuming option. Just make sure to keep the paperwork in order.

Selling it directly outside NCR will not be easy and at the end may not seem worth it. Registering it somewhere else and use it in NCR is one option but then you never know when the crackdown will begin.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 11:53   #5
BHPian

Get the NoC from the concerned RTO at the earliest and then transfer the car out of Delhi. No one is scrapping cars here.

I am stuck with no NoC from Delhi RTO and an absolutely gorgeous E36 BMW with no registration as on date. Due to the non availability of NoC, facing issues in getting a fresh registration for her. Therefore get the NoC first and then go about selling the car.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 12:27   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Well-maintained 15 year old car in Delhi NCR - Now what?

Quote:
They are considering CIAZ as replacement, where dealer has offered 30k for the car + 30k exchange bonus
60,000 is a very good price for a 15 year old Accent. Take it before the dealer changes his mind .

Also, nothing useful in India gets scrapped, not even a 25 year old sewing machine. This car will definitely be resold in some other state. Don't go through the effort to do so yourself; what the dealer has offered is fair.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 12:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to get NoC without buyer name and address?
Old 9th March 2017, 12:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

It should be possible. Getting an NOC is not equivalent of selling the car. It could simply mean that you are moving out of the state and will need to get the car registered at your new address. They may issue the NOC in your name though. But that is easily dealt with once you finalize the buyer.

However I will stick to what GTO said. For a car that has crossed 15 years of age, 60k is a fair valuation. Its much simpler to let the dealer figure out what to do with the car. If you try to do this yourself I do not foresee you gaining anything substantive over the 60k to bother with all the hassles!
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 13:29   #9
BANNED

Perhaps this is the first thread on 15 year ban by a genuine owner instead on possibility gossiping.

Quote:
The car is quiet spacious, comfortable and has good low end torque. It is quiet fun to drive compared to cars coming out recently,
I am participating the thread because of same thought.
In this context, we need to know what will be happened to classic and vintage cars.
Any possibility of paying Green Tax type charge and continuing the registration?
Old 9th March 2017, 14:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
60,000 is a very good price for a 15 year old Accent. Take it before the dealer changes his mind .

Also, nothing useful in India gets scrapped, not even a 25 year old sewing machine. This car will definitely be resold in some other state. Don't go through the effort to do so yourself; what the dealer has offered is fair.
The only reason for hesitation was that 30k exchange bonus is offered on CIAZ as the facelifted model is coming out next month, so that way the current car is being valued only at 30k.

But that said, we will most likely still go ahead with this exchange option as you are recommending.
Old 9th March 2017, 23:56   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only reason for hesitation was that 30k exchange bonus is offered on CIAZ as the facelifted model is coming out next month, so that way the current car is being valued only at 30k.
If dealer could pass the benefit of 30k exchange bonus without getting the car physically exchanged with them ,you may take the pain of selling the car in person (to other geographical location which accepts fitness retest for 15+ years cars) Else, 60k is a decent quote for 15 year old petrol Accent, that too in Delhi. Similar age accents were sold in Chennai for almost same price.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 00:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-RJ View Post
Perhaps this is the first thread on 15 year ban by a genuine owner instead on possibility gossiping.

I am participating the thread because of same thought.

In this context, we need to know what will be happened to classic and vintage cars.

Any possibility of paying Green Tax type charge and continuing the registration?

The National Green Tribunal has made exceptions to the applicability of the 15 year period for classic and vintage cars subject to certain conditions on usage being limited to rallies, etc.

The green tax is being imposed on cars over 2000 cc which was a precondition to the lifting of ban by Supreme Court on sale and registration of cars in Delhi NCR over and above 2000 cc.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 01:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

You are getting a decent value for a 15 year old accent petrol that too in Delhi. Don't get into these hassles of taking the NOC and selling it elsewhere, simply not worth it for such an old car. Ciaz is shifting to Nexa with maybe some minor changes. Nothing else is changing. Infact now is the right time to get it as the new one will be slightly expensive. You should seriously go ahead with this offer.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 00:04   #14
BHPian

What to do with 15+ year old car in Delhi?

I have a 1996 Maruti Esteem, which has completed more than 20 years of ownership. The car still drives amazing.

Due to increasing pollution the Delhi govt. has banned 15 year old cars from plying and have stopped registering them. Since my car crossed 15 year before this rule, we got additional 5 years of fitment done which expired in September last year.

The car is in running condition but has not been used since and just standing in my garage. What is the best way to dispose it? Is giving it to scrap dealers the only option? They are offering pennies for it moreover, I wouldn't want a decent and well maintained car to be crushed just like that.

Is there way it can be sold to someone who'll use it and if transfer of registry is not possible, what are the precautions I must take?

Couldn't find a similar topic, hence created a new post. Mods are request to merge it with an existing thread, if any.
Old 11th June 2017, 23:32   #15
BHPian

Hi,
I have a 1999 Lancer GLXi (1.5 Petrol) in Ludhiana, Punjab. It was re-registered in 2015 after RC expiry which is now valid till 2020. I am about to move to Faridabad due to Job change. I am concerned whether I would be able to use my well maintained ~75000 kms run Lancer in Delhi-NCR? I will be travelling frequently from Faridabad to Greater Noida via Delhi on weekends to my cousin's place.
So, will I be able to drive my car regularly in Delhi-NCR without any fear of law breaking? The car has complete paperwork good for use in Punjab as per my knowledge but I am not clear with Delhi-NCR rules. My permanent address will still be of Punjab.

Most Viewed