Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2017, 00:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3

Really brilliant by TAMO! Love the interior of that racing version.

Capable and striking as it might be, I really doubt whether there will be takers in our market for such a machine from the brand. Maybe the exclusivity of RACEMO will win some homes over here. Who knows??

At the very least, Tata should definitely make some units and invite the media to have a go in the car to showcase the capabilities of the brand if this isn't entering production.

And Tata should also give a poster of RACEMO to each child coming into the showroom to inquire about the other mainstream offerings. That will be brand building right there!
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 00:48   #47
BHPian

Commendable effort by Tata.
They sure seem to be taking the TAMO brand seriously. This could just be the catalyst which Tata need for their image makeover.
1.2 litre, 3 cylinder revotron !? Seems like an extreme tuned Tiago engine to me.
Old 8th March 2017, 02:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Am a bit confused with these specs as most of you. A 1.2L petrol engine which makes 190 PS but just 210 Nm torque?! AMT, 3 pot and a 25L price tag. It all sounds weird. Do we really have enthusiasts who'll splurge on a TATA 2 door?

Is TATA trying to showcase the versatility of the 1.2L Revotron and build a brand around the engine family? And a 2017 X-Mas release for the product?! Too many questions in my mind. I kind of like the design, but I'd prefer a sleeker design on a super car than a masculine one.
Ford's 1.5L three cylinder engine on the new Fiesta ST produces 197bhp. So it is achievable. I think it is a car along the lines of Mazda MX-5 or Toyota GT86. Smaller capacity fun car. I think there would be a lot of takers for this.
puneeth2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 03:09   #49
BHPian

This looks like a fun little car which will love attention. I don't see why it would struggle to reach the 250 mark. I am pretty sure Tata is going to produce more numbers after analysing the kind of response they got from the 250 sold. Probably by making an another version of the car or something. All in all, loving the direction the Tata is taking while still retaining my doubts this car's engine though.
I'll buy that as a daily if I could. 😂
Old 8th March 2017, 07:20   #50
BHPian

Someone seriously needs to fire the marketing guys at tata motors!
First the name tamo, but still ok, not bad.
Then the jargon filled press release. Ok, let it slide, not bad.
Then the name racemo! Ok. Its the product that matters.

Then I read this!

Phygital - “A perfect blend of Italian sensuality and Indian ingenuity, RACEMO is India’s first globally developed ‘phygital’ car, merging the physical and digital worlds.”

Anyways! Someone asked how is will the airbag work on the steering wheel?
Forza has leaked the answer. Found the picture in the same link.

SOURCE

All in all a good start for the new brand! IF the car is light, stiff and reasonably powerful. Combined with the rwd, small size and better cg as the engine is mounted in the rear. This car should be a lot of fun to drive and give a good amount of PR! The question is can this go into production by the end of the year?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-oisr9dlqhtudebp5pw6v.jpg  

Last edited by N.r.K : 8th March 2017 at 07:25.
N.r.K is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 08:53   #51
BHPian

This car is a welcome change from the usualy economy hatchbacks and luxury boats(sometimes dinghies). This looks quirky, questions traditional sensibilities regarding styling and has an engine to back the bite. I dont think there should be a problem extracting the promised specs from a 1.2l engine. However what remains to be seen is how much this car weighs. And I dont think this car will appeal to the average car buyer, or the naive car buyer who's getting the car just to flaunt it and to the enthusiasts brand doesn't matter as much as the performance. If the car performs well, then TAMO wont have any problem shifting 250 at around 25Lac.
Old 8th March 2017, 09:27   #52
BHPian

Well my perspective to the RaceMo!
1) Like it or Hate it naming scheme! Could have been more dynamic.
2) Why AMT? I guess most of the turbocharged engines are fragile (i don't mean unreliable or not long lasting but just fragile). It is much easier to programme an engine management brain that can stop people from over-revving and over stressing the car. (my perspective )
3) Torque output is reduced so as to mate it to the AMT
4) India may get a detuned version or High Octane fuel will be mandatory
5)Design for me is very similar to Smart Roadster.

All in all an Amazing step by TATA! I would but one if i had the money.

PS: Isn't the GC to high for a sports car or is iot just me?
Old 8th March 2017, 09:31   #53
BHPian

Oh boy, so many lines!
But it's done tastefully, to be honest. The i-series from BMW has similar number of design lines and looks quirky. TATA has done a good job.

For the pundits who think this looks a bit bulky for a sports-car, it's true. But then even the GT-R looks extremely bulky, but pulls 0-60 under 3 and drives around the corner like a gazelle. So it's okay.
In my opinion, those shoulder lines are giving it a solid stance. Call it a muscular-sports-car.
Additionally, TATA's five spoke wheel - love affair continues.

The only grouse is the 3 cylinder engine. I just wish, in the future, they add an electric motor at the front making it a 4WD, probably then the 25L price tag will be justified and TAMO can use the Govt price relief as well, in the age of SVHS.

A home grown RX-8 was due since a very long time.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 09:42   #54
BHPian

I have a split personality I discovered after seeing these images. Sometimes I love it, other times I think, did Leepu have a role?
avingodb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 09:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Hope this launch spawns a track day culture in our country with light, agile sports cars focused on handling and a pure driving experience. Without that ecosystem it would just be posuer mobiles taken out late nights or weekends.

Time to warm up to our homegrown Lotuses and Ariels!
But first we require proper tracks in our country, which are very less and hard to come by.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:13   #56
BHPian

What a car
I think this will give DC Avanti nightmares.
However, peculiarly some members still want this to be priced lesser than Hexa XMS
I am speechless. Show this vehicle to any person in USA & he will happily take 2 cars at a time in the declared price bracket. C'mon guys, you know it is Tata hence you expect everything to cost less. Why don't you put aside your biased mind for sometime & start applauding the efforts
speedguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 10:40   #57
BHPian

They are managing a 0-100 in around 6 seconds. So has the AMT technology really evolved to that extent compared to a DSG? Or is it that, Tamo is achieving these figures inspite of the AMT?
Old 8th March 2017, 11:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
What a car
I think this will give DC Avanti nightmares.
However, peculiarly some members still want this to be priced lesser than Hexa XMS
I am speechless. Show this vehicle to any person in USA & he will happily take 2 cars at a time in the declared price bracket. C'mon guys, you know it is Tata hence you expect everything to cost less. Why don't you put aside your biased mind for sometime & start applauding the efforts
Couldn't agree more.

All the critisicm(the new 'cool' in our country currently) aside , commendable effort by TATA.

But then I feel manufacturers & prospective buyers do look into this forum which has a lot of decent suggestions as well. Maybe some constructive criticism won't be that bad.

I dont think they are eyeing the general crowd here anyways. Exclusivity is what matters to the crowd going for the sports cars and they won't mind this little wonder which would cost a small fraction of the actual sports cars. Going by TATA's recent new direction am sure they will leave no stone unturned. 250 pieces will fly off the shelf in no time unlike the Accord Hybrid from the premium company .

Last edited by Aditya : 8th March 2017 at 17:59. Reason: On request
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 11:57   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Is there any details on the weight? that would give us an idea of what to expect in the handling department (light = agile)
Around 900 kgs. Ground Clearance = 165mm.

Why the heck would you plonk in an AMT in a sports car? The specifications simply beg for a short-shifting 6-speed MT. It would have made the car a hoot to drive, with 190 horses pulling it.

I feel TaMo missed a trick here.

Maybe there will be an optional MT on offer when the car enters production for it's 250-unit limited run. I sincerely hope they consider this.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Around 900 kgs. Ground Clearance = 165mm.

Why the heck would you plonk in an AMT in a sports car? The specifications simply beg for a short-shifting 6-speed MT. It would have made the car a hoot to drive, with 190 horses pulling it.

I feel TaMo missed a trick here.

Maybe there will be an optional MT on offer when the car enters production for it's 250-unit limited run. I sincerely hope they consider this.
In my opinion, twin turbo with 1.2L engine is a dangerous proposition. Anyone with higher engine RPM & lower gear can blow out turbo completely. To prevent the engine RPM there is only measure that is AMT.

Most Viewed