Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 01:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Am really not sure why you think this is such a great idea. I was completely opposed to the idea of the government in possession of my fingerprints and that stopped me from getting an Aadhar card for a long time.
Can't agree more. This is the very reason why I am still skeptical to enroll myself into Aadhar. If they make this mandatory for every service, this is certainly not a good news. The original purpose of Aadhar was to streamline the Govt. Schemes/Subsidies. That very purpose is diluted now by making this mandatory for Car registration.
Old 16th March 2017, 09:07   #17
BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

The order by the transport commissioner states that aadhar "should" be collected. In Indian legal parlance, 'should' usually means 'must'. So this order is definitely illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
if the bill is passed in parliament, It becomes a law then why would SC oppose it ?

Also SC ruling came on September 2016 and bill passed on during the budget session 2017
The bill was passed during the budget session of 2016. See this Link. It is the original act. It came into force on 25th March 2016.

The most recent supreme court ruling came in september 2016. Link

Regarding the power of SC, it can invalidate any law that is against the spirit of the constitution. The main argument against aadhar is that it infringes on an individual's privacy.

Last edited by deerhunter : 16th March 2017 at 09:11.
Old 16th March 2017, 10:06   #18
BHPian

Agree to the general feeling here. The Aadhar was supposed to be an "extra" form of identification meant to be used to safeguard leaks in govt subsidy programs. I am definitely not comfortable with the idea of my biometrics in the hand of India govt. This "big brother" definitely will be watching.

Having said that, it is not a matter of choice over here in Singapore. The first step towards becoming a legal resident, permanent or otherwise here, is to get your bio-metrics uploaded onto the govt server. Naturally without this you cannot take up a post-paid mobile/landline/internet/cable/water/electricity etc connections. So basically you cannot do anything without submitting the local version of Aadhar. If I am not wrong a similar process is already being followed across most of the world. So we might be able to delay it for a while but sooner or later folks, the govt is going to get our biometrics and play big brother.
Old 16th March 2017, 10:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
if the bill is passed in parliament, It becomes a law then why would SC oppose it ?

Also SC ruling came on September 2016 and bill passed on during the budget session 2017

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...atory-3046983/

"As per the provisions of the bill, Aadhaar will be made mandatory for anyone who wants to receive government benefits and subsidies.
OK the law says Aadhaar is mandatory for government benefits and subsidies - where are these components when I buy a car? I feel this may not stand the scrutiny of law
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 10:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Will Aadhar be mandatory if I have to transfer the registration (from another state) to TN? The circular and the news article says registration of 'new vehicle' needs Aadhar.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 11:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Just across the border, in Karnataka, AADHAR is madatory for the benefiaries of almost all social welfare schemes. Even students availing scholarships are not exempt.

Government employees too are required to compulsorily update their AADHAR number in their payroll system.

Very interestingly, even those applying for a government job need to have AADHAR, as per a recruitment notification released a couple of days ago. Therefore, it is only a matter of when and not if the same rule will be carried over for registration of new vehicles and obtaining driving licence in Karnataka too.

Registration of new vehicles already requires either a copy of form 16 or a declaration in form 60. Many people tend to present form 60 either willingly or due to lack of knowledge.

Since purchasing and registering a car is obviously a high value transaction, making PAN mandatory is absolutely justified.

Can the same be said of AADHAR, given the controversy over possible misuse of private data/biometric attributes? I really can't answer the question either ways. Will have to wait and watch.
Old 16th March 2017, 11:42   #22
BHPian

I am little confused here.

If I provide only my aadhaar number, can it be misused in any way? What I understand is, to retrieve any of my aadhaar related information requires my consent through biometric or iris scans input.
Old 16th March 2017, 11:52   #23
BHPian

I think its a good idea. Given that Aadhar is linked to most bank accounts via KYC, it will just tighten the net on fraudulent transactions.

My perspective on Aadhar is similar to the SSN in the US. Yes, it has its demerits but overall, given the diversity of our country, this could be quite an useful unique identifier. Let's keep Aadhar pros/cons discussion in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...l-work-36.html
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 12:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Regarding the power of SC, it can invalidate any law that is against the spirit of the constitution. The main argument against aadhar is that it infringes on an individual's privacy.
Forget Aadhar! Why should mobile number be mandatory for Vehicle Registration? To some extent, I can digest Aadhar and/or PAN card for such registration but not owning a mobile/telephone is my fundamental right.

Doesn't it affect my fundamental rights and promote "business" interests?

It is a shame to have laws/orders passed using the power provided by "constitution" violates the rights mentioned in the same "constitution".

Last edited by sathya_g_m : 16th March 2017 at 12:26. Reason: Missed quoting
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 19:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Forget Aadhar! Why should mobile number be mandatory for Vehicle Registration? To some extent, I can digest Aadhar and/or PAN card for such registration but not owning a mobile/telephone is my fundamental right.
+1.

Sharing Mobile/Telephone number should only be voluntary and not a mandatory thing. Unfortunately our lawmakers are so dumb to think about the privacy of Citizens. The same goes with the LPG booking process as well.
Old 16th March 2017, 20:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
+1.

Sharing Mobile/Telephone number should only be voluntary and not a mandatory thing. Unfortunately our lawmakers are so dumb to think about the privacy of Citizens. The same goes with the LPG booking process as well.
I think anybody who can afford a car or bike can certainly afford a mobile number. Making the mobile number mandatory has some important benefits:
-Improves the chances of the driver or owner of a vehicle being reachable for traffic incidents and tickets etc
-2 factor authentication for secure access to services, which makes life easier for the users.

One can be adamant and insist on not giving out one's mobile number for some wierd reason but I don't see why this is a big deal.

Some of these so-called privacy concerns are bordering on paranoia, since if the government really wants to mess with ones life (beyond the existing mess that we see all around us already ), they don't really need your fingerprints or mobile number to do so. Reminds me of the nutjobs in the US who buy guns because they want to 'protect themselves from the government', which is laughable because the most powerful military in history is not going to be deterred by bunch of loons with AR-15s if they really wanted to take over.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 21:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I think anybody who can afford a car or bike can certainly afford a mobile number. Making the mobile number mandatory has some important benefits:
It is not about affordability. I have a mobile but sharing the number should be my choice. Pan card and aadhar are provided by government for availing some benefits and doesn't have any recurring cost. However mobile is a pure business promotion which comes with a mask named "convenience"
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 21:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
It is not about affordability. I have a mobile but sharing the number should be my choice. Pan card and aadhar are provided by government for availing some benefits and doesn't have any recurring cost. However mobile is a pure business promotion which comes with a mask named "convenience"
I disagree with the idea that it is a business promotion (for mobile companies presumably), I think it is more of practicality and keeping up with the times. For example, if you make more than 5L or 10L (I forget what the current limit is) the only way that you can file taxes is electronically. Once cannot simply refuse to file returns saying that it's a promotion for Microsoft and Intel and Dell.
Old 16th March 2017, 21:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Ardhaar card is available only to residents of this country. Therefore it can be used as evidence of residence where a service is only available to residents. I think that is where this stuff began with gas subsidy, but now, Supreme Court or no, everybody is going Ardhaar-card crazy.

Never mind google, soon our govt will know our every move!
Old 17th March 2017, 13:14   #30
BHPian

It is an good initiative by the tamilnadu government. I will be happy if this is made compulsory throughout india.

Most Viewed