Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2017, 11:12   #1
BHPian

Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

Just got this one from a friend ,stating that in TN, From April 1st for all new vehicles registered Aadhar number and Pan number is must along with Xerox copies of the same. Failing vehicles will not be registered.

Copy of the circular attached herewith.

Note to Mods: Thought this deserved a separate thread than Aadhar card/ government regulations. However please feel free to move it to the appropriate thread if you guys feel so.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration-what.jpg  

nitishk is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 15:08   #2
BHPian

re: Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

Just put a microchip inside my brain and call it a day.

</conspiracy nut alert>
ashwin489 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 15:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitishk View Post
Just got this one from a friend ,stating that in TN, From April 1st for all new vehicles registered Aadhar number and Pan number is must along with Xerox copies of the same. Failing vehicles will not be registered.
Not sure if this is being followed in other cities.
If it being followed everywhere, then it's a good initiative.

Aadhar is becoming the single most important ID to which everything like Gas, Bank, Property, Vehicles are getting linked.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 16:20   #4
BHPian

I dont think this is legal. Supreme court has clearly ruled that Aadhar cannot be made mandatory for any service.

Link

Quote:
Aadhaar cannot be made mandatory for any services..
.."the Aadhaar card Scheme is purely voluntary and it cannot be made mandatory till the matter is finally decided by this Court one way or the other."
deerhunter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 16:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

PAN card I can absolutely understand. It's a pretty large financial transaction and certainly those who buy a car should not be aloowed to escape the tax net. HOWEVER, I thought that's what the 1% TCS (tax collection at source) was supposed to achieve! As usual, confusion in the implementation of a perfectly sound concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Just put a microchip inside my brain and call it a day.

</conspiracy nut alert>

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Not sure if this is being followed in other cities.
If it being followed everywhere, then it's a good initiative.

Aadhar is becoming the single most important ID to which everything like Gas, Bank, Property, Vehicles are getting linked.
Am really not sure why you think this is such a great idea. I was completely opposed to the idea of the government in possession of my fingerprints and that stopped me from getting an Aadhar card for a long time. Eventually I did bow to the inevitable but I'll be damned if I need to produce my Aadhar every time I need any service from a mid-day meal for my child at a public school to apparently buying a car in TN!

Big Brother is watching, indeed!
noopster is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 16:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
I dont think this is legal. Supreme court has clearly ruled that Aadhar cannot be made mandatory for any service.
Its legal now. Govt recently introduced it as 'money bill' in parliament and it was passed in the budget session.

"By introducing the bill as a money bill, the government will not be handicapped by its strength in the Rajya Sabha. This is because money bills can be introduced only in the Lok Sabha. The Rajya Sabha cannot make amendments to a money bill passed by the Lok Sabha and can only make recommendations. It also has to return money bills to the Lok Sabha within 14 days from the date of their receipt, thus ensuring a time-bound process. Such bills also cannot be referred to a joint committee of Parliament, as per details available on the Parliament’s website."

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/t2u...ll-on-Thu.html

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle8579711.ece
LionX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 16:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Question is, if TN Authorities are following this, why not the other states? Is it a directive from the Govt or is it TN RTO's independent thinking that lead to this.

It states that there is now provision to enter Aadhar details. Doesn't mean it has to be mandatory I suppose.

It is the RTO's decision to get the data from the customers since there is provision to enter these in the VAHAN system. Correct me if I am wrong.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 17:06   #8
BHPian

I am perfectly happy that they are collecting Aadhar details and I am all for making Aadhar mandatory across the board.

However, the pathetic thing is that TN RTO does not accept Aadhar as either identity proof or address proof for vehicle registration. So the govt departments continue to be as illogical and inefficient as ever.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 17:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Am really not sure why you think this is such a great idea. I was completely opposed to the idea of the government in possession of my fingerprints and that stopped me from getting an Aadhar card for a long time. Eventually I did bow to the inevitable but I'll be damned if I need to produce my Aadhar every time I need any service from a mid-day meal for my child at a public school to apparently buying a car in TN!

Big Brother is watching, indeed!
It has benefits for the vigilance, investigative and Tax guys.
Benefit to the Govt would be a benefit to the citizen eventually.

Agree on the fingerprint part though.
Old 15th March 2017, 17:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Its legal now. Govt recently introduced it as 'money bill' in parliament and it was passed in the budget session.
It is still not legal. The latest SC ruling has come after the Aadhar act has come into force. That means, if at all there is any provision in the act making aadhar mandatory, that provision stands void.

Anyway, there is no provision in the said act that makes aadhar mandatory. On the contrary, it states :
Quote:
if an Aadhaar number is not assigned to an individual, the individual shall be offered alternate and viable means of identification for delivery of the subsidy, benefit or service.
Link

Even the centre has clarified that aadhar is not mandatory.
Quote:
The government on Wednesday said it is strictly adhering to Supreme Court’s order that production of Aadhaar will not be a condition for citizens to obtain any benefit due to them.

Individuals without Aadhaar can offer alternate means of identification for availing government subsidies, benefits and services.
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have not enrolled yet, and not planning to until SC says it is mandatory.

Last edited by deerhunter : 15th March 2017 at 18:01.
deerhunter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 20:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
It is still not legal. The latest SC ruling has come after the Aadhar act has come into force. That means, if at all there is any provision in the act making aadhar mandatory, that provision stands void
if the bill is passed in parliament, It becomes a law then why would SC oppose it ?

Also SC ruling came on September 2016 and bill passed on during the budget session 2017

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...atory-3046983/

"As per the provisions of the bill, Aadhaar will be made mandatory for anyone who wants to receive government benefits and subsidies.
Giving statutory backing to Aadhaar and making it mandatory for those who want the benefit of any form of government subsidy or advantage is important. And, therefore, wherever the funds of the government or state governments come in, they can make it compulsory for you to have this identification so that the most deserving man and family gets the benefit. This is a very serious reform,” Jaitley said on Wednesday while addressing a post-budget interactive session with industry associations"

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/t2u...ll-on-Thu.html

Do you have any news link for the recent SC ruling ?

Last edited by LionX : 15th March 2017 at 21:00.
Old 15th March 2017, 20:55   #12
BHPian

Even though supreme court does accept mandating aadhar, i see that many government schemes are linked to it like lpg, jee, hse exams in some states, some government pension schemes (central).
So I don't think anybody can stop tamil nadu rto against such move.
Even i was sceptical but had to succumb.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2017 at 23:17. Reason: Typo
Old 15th March 2017, 22:37   #13
BHPian

The circular doesn't state that copy of Aadhar or PAN has to be provided. Only the respective numbers has to be provided to the dealer for registration of vehicle.

I am also unable to comprehend the rigidness of TN RTOs in not accepting Aadhar or bank statement as valid proof of address for registration of new vehicles. On the other hand they accept LIC certificate copy with latest premium paid receipt.
Old 15th March 2017, 23:25   #14
BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
The circular doesn't state that copy of Aadhar or PAN has to be provided. Only the respective numbers has to be provided to the dealer for registration of vehicle.

I am also unable to comprehend the rigidness of TN RTOs in not accepting Aadhar or bank statement as valid proof of address for registration of new vehicles. On the other hand they accept LIC certificate copy with latest premium paid receipt.
The Hindu article on the topic has the real story. Apparently, they want to upgrade to a new software application called Vahan 4 for which the Aadhar and PAN number fields are required.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le17463590.ece

So it is just an administrative detail, rather than any grand strategy (it would be beyond most of the RTO functionaries to do anything proactive).
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 00:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Apparently, they want to upgrade to a new software application called Vahan 4 for which the Aadhar and PAN number fields are required.
Surely the RTO tells the software supplier what is required. Not the other way around?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks