Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 17:21   #16
BHPian

re: The 2017 Force Gurkha

This develops 23kgm at 1400rpm, what about the thar?

Suspension looks comfortable but pricing gone wrong . Isuzu pickup is just a lakh more.
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 06:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Lot of people criticizing the vehicle based off of personal thoughts on its appearance or power/torque figures. I personally think this looks smashing and I also know of several cars with what seem like under-powered motors, actually performing brilliantly in the real world. The only downside I can see having never driven this, is the truck like angle of the steering wheel which might feel a bit agricultural. How does this thing actually stack up against something like a Thar? Anyone well versed with the two cars here to comment?
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 06:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Would it really kill Force India to give half decent interiors to match the stunning exterior looks? This vehicle has the potential to be the Indian equivalent of a Defender if not the G wagen. If only the company has the inclination to do something about it.
In all fairness to Force Motors, they have made good changes to the Chasis/suspension/steering. However, as you pointed out the dash is horrendous. But even that one can eventually live it, but the engine output is not worthy of a vehicle that costs over Rs. 12 Lakhs on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Looks stunning indeed, from the outside but hold on... the engine?! Would I pay 12+ lac on-road (in KA) for something that develops a meager 85 bhp and 230 NM? Anybody's guess...

Edit - just saw the complete list of specs. Imagine this engine pulling a 2.5 ton vehicle What an abysmally low power:weight ratio. What were the chaps at FM smoking when they approved this "re-launch" Really sad to see such potent vehicle being wasted...
Force has the license to manufacture the older Merc CRDe 2.2 engine which is now coming in some versions of the Tempo Traveller. Given that this vehicle is pushing 10 lakhs ex showroom, they should have just plonked the 2.2 and added the extra cost the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
But the Xplorer has higher ground clearance than the Xpedition (by about 1.5cm) and is lesser than 4m in length (at about 3992mm) thus getting the excise benefit. Did not see any other difference apart from these.
So then why is the 3-door Xplorer more expensive than the 5-door Xpedition?
To get excise benefit, it has to be under 4 meters and also have a engine capacity less than 1500 cc( for diesels) . The Gurkha has a 2.6 and hence cannot get the excise benefits even for the 3-Door Version.

The reason why explorer is more is because it has the 4WD hardware and diff locks, which the expedition dosn't have. the expedition is purely 2WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Now the explorer version is available in both 3 door and 5 door trims, so probably they have decided not to put the specs of expedition version on the website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Damn, this getting ever more confusing. They have given the specs of the 3-door AND 5-door Xplorer as well as the specs of the 5-door Xpedition.
The Explorer has 4WD and diff locks and can be had in 3-Door or 5-Door configuration. The Expedition comes with 2WD and is available only in 5-Door version. The website has been updated and is pretty clear on this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
This develops 23kgm at 1400rpm, what about the thar?
Thar CRDe is about 26kgm from about 1650 rpm. The engine capacity is the same. Given that the FM2.6 is a Mercedes derived unit, they should have given atleast the same power specs as the Thar CRDe engine, i.e 105bhp/26kgm Torque. 85/23 is not something one can live with after spending 12 lakhs on the road.

Quote:
Suspension looks comfortable but pricing gone wrong .
Oh yeah, this thing should be way more comfortable than the Thar. If they put a decent engine and better interiors, I think the price is okay.

Quote:
Isuzu pickup is just a lakh more.
BTW you are comparing ex-show room with on-road price. If you look at Onroad price there is a 4 lakh difference. Gurkha is about 12 lakhs on the road and V-Cross about 16 Lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
To give credit where its due, the styling department got it spot on!!
Absolutely love the styling. Glad they are going back to the original design, after the disastrous 4x4x4x4x4 version.
4x4addict is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 10:30   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2017 Force Gurkha

Damn - this looks so good that it makes you reach out for that cheque book & cut a deposit . But then, you are reminded of the under-powered engine, shoddy build and even shoddier sales / service support.

Not a car that can be recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So... what are the safety features provided in the 2017 Gurkha, apart from seat belts?
It's such an ancient structure that merely adding airbags won't make it any safer. I doubt Force is going to be able to update the Gurkha for the upcoming crash test norms either. Remember how long they took for a BSIV variant? They are too darn incompetent....and lazy. A dangerous combination.

Last edited by GTO : 21st March 2017 at 11:56.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 10:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Another 'fine print' - the footwear shown on all pics on the website (MAXXIS MTs as well as the alloys) are not standard fitment. They do, however, come with A/Ts as OE I believe.

Here is a pic in ST - looks smashing, I'd say.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Force Gurkha-gurkha1.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 11:59   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Here is a pic in ST - looks smashing, I'd say.
Oh man, made me reach out for the cheque book again . Two points:

1. Could they have done any worse a job in fitting that soft-top? Young lad Pappu at the corner of my lane will do a more perfect job of fitting my Jeep's soft-top for 200 rupees. Seriously Force? Didn't you have one guy in your factory who could try harder?

2. A rare time that I might choose the hard-top over the soft-top. Love the way she looks with a hard-top.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh man, made me reach out for the cheque book again . Two points:

1. Could they have done any worse a job in fitting that soft-top? Young lad Pappu at the corner of my lane will do a more perfect job of fitting my Jeep's soft-top for 200 rupees. Seriously Force? Didn't you have one guy in your factory who could try harder?

2. A rare time that I might choose the hard-top over the soft-top. Love the way she looks with a hard-top.
I would take the ST and get the soft top re-installed/modded by Pappu of your lane.
sourabhzen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 13:42   #23
BHPian

Got very excited at the new Gurkha Launch. Immediately called up the Delhi Dealer to find out more. The 5 Door Xplorer will not come in a 4X4 option right now, but the Dealer said "order pe mil sakta hai". The Salesman also mentioned that a bare bodied pick up ...."truck ke chasis type launch hone wala hai same model pe, uspe aap kuch bhi bana sakte ho."
Wish they had spruced up the interiors a bit... looks still outdated...
iMASKARAN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 13:56   #24
BHPian

It's the exhaust which is making all the difference. It's still a substandard product.
That interior feels like from 80s. Not at all recommended.

Thar is still the king of the jungle.
Old 21st March 2017, 16:05   #25
Team-BHP Support

Just out of curiosity requested a test drive through the website yesterday evening and i was surprised to received a call today. I was in a busy and requested a call back and they promptly did that too! I am impressed! miles ahead of the response i received for V cross in Bangalore. Will be going to the showroom on Saturday for a drive.
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 16:34   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
It's the exhaust which is making all the difference.
What exhaust? Hope​ you are not mistaking the air intake snorkel for exhaust.
Samurai is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:03   #27
BHPian

Here's my take - a bit of Photoshop clean up :
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Force Gurkha-gurkha.jpg  

The 2017 Force Gurkha-front.jpg  

nimbleguru is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just out of curiosity requested a test drive through the website yesterday evening and i was surprised to received a call today. I was in a busy and requested a call back and they promptly did that too! I am impressed! miles ahead of the response i received for V cross in Bangalore. Will be going to the showroom on Saturday for a drive.
Just an update: They have now sent me an email with dealer account manager name and his mobile / email id! I am might impressed!!

Not even a BMW purchase gave me so much attention during initial sales cycle!
Jaggu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Some real world pictures

This is how the vehicle looks in real life. Alloys etc are etc. Did I hear 12 Lakhs on the road??
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Force Gurkha-img_20170211_165904.jpg  

The 2017 Force Gurkha-img_20170211_165948.jpg  

The 2017 Force Gurkha-img_20170211_165926.jpg  

The 2017 Force Gurkha-img_20170211_165933.jpg  

The 2017 Force Gurkha-img_20170211_170007.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2017 at 09:20. Reason: Typo
4x4addict is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 18:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Some real world pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is how the vehicle looks in real life. Alloys etc are etc.
Pardon me for asking , but why did the vehicle ship with a 4x4x4 badging from the factory ?

EDIT : Found the reason on the interweb

Quote:
In English that means Extreme Off-road Vehicle and the three 4s stand for a vehicle that has four-wheel drive and can take on four seasons and four kinds of terrain

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2017 at 09:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post
sajo is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed