Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 11:23   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thinking about it some more, IMHO GM will get rid of its Talegaon facility too in the future.
Totally agree. I wouldn't be surprised if they make such an announcement by Dec 31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
unlike GM literally cheating us.
Exactly. What's akin to rubbing salt to the wound was their test mules of that Beat-based sedan. They very successfully managed to keep everyone guessing, and based on some posts here, including even their middle-level managers. Do they have ex-CIA guys on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Chevy has such a nice portfolio in the US. They should have taken inspiration from back home, rather than getting the Chinese cars for Indian market. The Sonic hatch is far better than the Sail. Similarly they could have offered Trax in the Compact SUV and Equinox in the full blown SUV category.
Come on, all these cars for the Americans. We are stupid Injuns and we don't deserve them yet. We drive Enjoy.

Quote:

Chevy was at one point of time quite strong in India, all they needed was to carry forward their momentum. They themselves are responsible for their demise.
If they had been allowed to flourish unchecked that would've made the 2010 management quite strong and well-reputed inside the company's top echelon. And that'd have made the top guy positions in danger. For some, positive factors like strength and growth come in the form of creating hurdles and plotting destruction for the talented juniors. I know a girl who was such a talented team-leader in the credit card department of a MN bank, and she did whopping business in terms of numbers. She was looking for an excellent role and her superiors found a way to make her resign.

Quote:

Off Topic: My uncle who earlier owned a Matiz, and later got a Spark as its replacement, is in shock. He is sure that even Maruti will go bankrupt the day he buys a WagonR.
Let's gift him a Piaggio Ape.
sandeepmdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 11:33   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevrolet India's official webpage is now reduced to a FAQ page. The replies should probably calm some nerves.

Quote:
General Motors recently announced the decision to withdraw Chevrolet from the domestic car market in India at the end of this calendar year. The sale of Chevrolet vehicles will end on 31 December 2017.
Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-1.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-2.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-3.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-4.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-5.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-6.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-7.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-8.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-9.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-10.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 19th May 2017 at 11:35.
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 11:58   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
The Chevy dealer in my hometown had already shut his shop a month ago.

This is very disappointing - dad has a Spark and it's a great car for the price. 8 years back, the only other options available in that segment were Alto and Zen Estilo. It has given minimal trouble all this time and can easily go for 10 more years. Hope spares and service aren't that big an issue.
Exactly my feeling and my situation. My wife drives a Spark. The car is running very well and there are no niggles so far in 5 years of ownership. Overall the Chevrolet cars age much better compared to other manufacturers IMO, and probably better than the company itself.

Just hoping we get the required service support at least for a year or so, after which we will have to sell the car in KGs rather than in INR.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:20   #184
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet has started sending text messages to its customers.

I also spoke to my dealer in Noida (Shiva Motors). Thankfully, their workshop will remain open. I don't know for how long, as I don't plan to sell my car.

It has been great, niggle free till now. And there is no point selling it, considering the resale value its going to get.

For parts, Ali Express and Ali Baba might come handy. The Chinese origins coming to help here.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-screenshot_20170519113807.png  

ashutoshb is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:30   #185
BHPian

GM Story in Summary

> 20 years in India
> Good & desirable products, Average sales and service
> Severe, proven corruption charges
> Bankrupt once
> Meager, dwindling sales YoY
> Big statements (Mary Barra announced $1 Billion investment, not a single $ spent here)
> Great offers on Cruze the same day afternoon they announced closure

What should we conclude from this? Here's mine

1. Great products led by poor management
2. Dishonest, lying management

Does anyone really believe that spares and service will be available? A spare will be hard to come by and I am willing to bet that it will be weeks before a spare is even available for the ones who need it. For the ones who decide to keep the car, go find an independent, competent garage

Sad news for owners of GM products.

Last edited by sudeepg : 19th May 2017 at 12:32. Reason: Minor correction
sudeepg is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:46   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Exactly my worry! This could send a very wrong signal to some of the other manufacturers who are struggling in India. And there are a few more companies below GM -

Attachment 1640009
I don't know why companies like FIAT are still here in India. It has been proven time and again that their products do not suit Indians. Next I'd expect Mitsubishi to go, then Skoda, then Nissan, and once the Kwid gets old, Renault would be gone too. Dunno what is wrong with FIAT, they don't seem to get tired, and are hell bent on burning their money here.

What we would be left with would be Maruti and Hyundai and a few also rans like Honda and Toyota. No Americans and Europeans around. And here we would be discussing about how good a driver's car the Swift is.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:58   #187
BHPian

Everything comes to an end one day.. but never expected Chevy's end so soon in India. Everyone were actually waiting for the new Cruze to be launched in India apart from various other models. There are so many vedios by various auto news channels on the new global Cruze and probable launch in India.
Though I do not own any GM products but I am a big fan of the Cruze and was scouting silently for a well maintained Cruze from the past 06 months. However, I feel I should finally let go that itch now as the future seems to be bleak on the service amd customer support front. Well there could be many reasons behind this outcome but ultimately it did affect the automobile enthusiasts in India. I am sure the used car market will be flooded with Chevy cars and the Dealers will have a gala time milking money from terrified Owners who panic listening to the headlines who do not want to risk their future with GM on support.
Old 19th May 2017, 13:14   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Dunno what is wrong with FIAT, they don't seem to get tired, and are hell bent on burning their money here.

For the record, Fiat India is making good money in India, not burning.

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-revenueprofits.jpg

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-capture.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...y-filings.html

Also they have order for more than 2 Lakhs diesel engines from TATA and MSIL, they'll keep making money

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ruti-tata.html

Fiat India is a engine manufacturing company that also sells cars

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 19th May 2017 at 13:17.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 13:20   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

For the record, Fiat India is making good money in India, not burning.

Fiat India is a engine manufacturing company that also sells cars
Yeh, but not by selling 300 cars a month, right? They are burning money launching variants after variants of their Punto/Linea and keeping all the sales and infrastructure running. Same story as GM. They should quit car sales and concentrate on engines and exports.
Old 19th May 2017, 13:22   #190
BHPian

I own a 2009 Optra Magnum LT. Have completed 150000 Km without any problems.

My trusted mechanic (old hand from GM) tells me that the car is good enough for at least another 100000 km. Hope the spare parts will continue to be available.
Old 19th May 2017, 13:23   #191
Senior - BHPian

I am amazed at the majority of responses (incl from IT industry who is notorious for pulling the plug on technical support) highlighting the morality, ethics, emotional aspects while ignoring financial feasibility aspect. IMO if any sort of efforts (or lack of them) are not going to yield anything, then I fully support pulling the plug.

If one visits the history, after Karl Slym's departure things weren't the same at GM and now Tata (in a positive way).

Now the A.S.S. is required to be provided for 5-7 years by law which they are promising to do, what more one wants?

There's a concept of guarantee and warranty for all the products be it iPhone, Sony LED Smart TV or any car, after that everyone is equal, if in doubt, try it. One will get almost ZERO for their loyalty from any company after that period.

Last edited by carwatcher : 19th May 2017 at 13:27.
carwatcher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 13:29   #192
Senior - BHPian

Even though I am surprised with the sudden exit of Chevrolet, it is not shocking. I did not have high regards for any of their cars but I believe that the Cruze was really their hot seller and I am surprised that they did not make any effort to enhance this product.

When I was on the look out for an Executive Sedan and after test driving the cars that fell in that segment, I was pretty happy with the Jetta & Octavia but still did consider the Cruze at one point of time for the price of around 22 lakhs on road for the AT. Even though it was 165 bhp, it felt nowhere close to that and did not feel worth the price asked. Basically it was only impressive on paper. I chose the Jetta over them all and very happy with my decision.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 13:32   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I don't know why companies like FIAT are still here in India. It has been proven time and again that their products do not suit Indians. Next I'd expect Mitsubishi to go, then Skoda, then Nissan, and once the Kwid gets old, Renault would be gone too. Dunno what is wrong with FIAT, they don't seem to get tired, and are hell bent on burning their money here.
Fiat will never leave India.

Reason 1: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/58491966.cms

Reason 2: The two aged cars they still sell here are not re-badged Chinese ones. People will buy their replacements. I will, without blinking an eye.

Apart from that, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think the automakers should start their own dealerships in India to succeed and survive the onslaught of MSIL/ Hyundai. Company-owned company-operated dealerships. Lee Iacocca had predicted this situation way back in 80's. "The cars will look similar, the technology will be similar, the performance, the features will be similar. The only difference will be in support.".

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th May 2017 at 13:34.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 13:37   #194
BHPian

I'm also in a delimma of keeping my Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2011 or selling it off . It is a gem of a machine and still working perfectly fine but I fear that with time there would be problem with the service and spares . I just recently overhauled my suspension which gave up around 90k kms.
Old 19th May 2017, 13:42   #195
Senior - BHPian

I just spoke to guys at Boodmo.com.

I have been buying OEM parts from them for some time now. I got parts for my Indicas, i10s and Xcents. More often than not, their prices are lower than what you get in service centers or retail spare shops.

They, for now, are assuring that they will keep providing Chevy OEM spares to customers. Again, I do not know, for how long will they do it.

The link to their Chevy page: Boodmo Chevy

The best way to go about it, if GM or ACDelco could open a portal like gmpartsdirect.com for its Indian customers. No middlemen, no hoarding, no raised prices, only genuine parts at genuine prices.

If they ever plan to re-enter the Indian market, they SHOULD do this.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 19th May 2017 at 13:44.
ashutoshb is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks