Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 14:34   #121
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

The Cruze has always been at the back of my mind.. Is it the right time to buy it in second hand market?? How difficult is it in terms of maintenance? Is it Japanese reliable(or slightly lesser than that) OR Skoda/Tata reliable?
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:35   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rumour has been confirmed. Received the following statement. GM boss is taking a media call in the afternoon.
If you are on the call, please give GM a huge piece of your mind on behalf of all us car lovers - this is definitely not the way to be treating their customers.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

Now that it is confirmed, would like to know what would happen to existing cars.
Will parts be available? What about service? The showrooms should have decent stocks, what will happen to them?
One thing is for sure, there will be no buyers for Chevy in used market, It was in very bad state even before the news, now the owners will be forced to sell the cars to scrap yard.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/58731138.cms

Last edited by PrideRed : 18th May 2017 at 14:46.
Old 18th May 2017, 14:47   #124
psn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
It was shocking but we have to accept it as reality! I was on the verge of selling off my car but with this news i think there is no point is going to the used car market now. The only sensible option seems to be to keep the car as long as possible. The availability of spares will also not be that easy considering we won't have the authorized service centers.
What are the owners on the forum going to do?
Is there a way, we can all go collectively to court and ask for compensation? esp. those who have purchased their extended warranty and are still in warranty period?
Old 18th May 2017, 14:47   #125
BHPian

Can I expect a Chevy Cruze at Dzire price? The car has been one of my all time favorite. Since they are exporting, I believe spares can be sourced.
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:54   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm just thinking of how everyone in India was played by GM. Decisions to exit a market aren't taken overnight, and there's been no recent change in circumstances either to change their original plan. I'm sure that GM India knew since a couple of years that an exit is being considered.

Yet, the boss lady of GM - Mary Barra - (who I otherwise respect) came and made a fake statement of investing $1 billion in the country (related thread). This was a completely bogus claim made maliciously in 2015 to misguide India's press & people.

Heck, I bet we never saw even a dollar of that supposed investment.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:58   #127
BHPian

It's sure surprising to read this as this mornings bombay times had a back page advert for the Chevy Cruz at a special price of about 1 lac off, this is reminiscent of the daewoo motors exit from India ( also rest of world at that time).
Old 18th May 2017, 15:02   #128
Senior - BHPian

Curious, i was under the impression that indian law allowed one to export provided they also sell in india !!

Anyways, GM always was confused about indian strategy. But if they are exporting lakhs of cars, what is stopping them from selling them here ?

Is this an indication that their services and market penetration that let them down ?
Today i saw the ToI ad on Cruz discount(I feel the discount should run deeeeeep now as against the one shown in ad). This announcement wont help in clearing stocks anyway

Last edited by rajshenoy : 18th May 2017 at 15:03.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:12   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Well maintained and niggle free 2011 Cruze LT with 93k km. Keep or sell? Real dilemma now!
Cost for suitable replacement / upgrade will be 10X for what the car will currently fetch in the used market. If the car is niggle free right now, chances are it will stay that was for a couple of more years after which you can write it off and start on a fresh slate. Good chance that the regular consumable parts will still be available, all you need to do is find yourself a good independent workshop who will replace them for you

In the rare scenario of any major / critical part failure, you can always import an oem unit from an international online portal, costs which still be a tiny fraction of the spend for a replacement in terms of depreciation, interest, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
But if they are exporting lakhs of cars, what is stopping them from selling them here ?
1. Setting up company owned dealerships may not be feasible. As a manufacturer, you also sell an experience with your product, and the marketing, advertising, showroom upkeep, etc. would not be worth the tiny revenue they may generate from the existing lineup.

2. Independent businesses are probably better off investing their capital on generally more acceptable and relevant brands.

Last edited by manson : 18th May 2017 at 15:17.
manson is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:23   #130
BHPian

I just happened to see the upcoming beat being testing this morning with minimum camouflage and thought that GM probably is now considering reviving operations in India and then this. Probably they were just testing it for some other market maybe
Old 18th May 2017, 15:33   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Who is going yo buy these 2000 units with all these rumors? And if they announce their exit officially, then how are they expecting to sell these units? People are already shy of GM and now all this!!
Just spoke to my guy in GM. He seems to be safe . They were told this news in an email about 30 minutes before the news came on TV. Most of the guys supporting India specific ops are in Gurugram so they will be the hardest hit.

When asked about the impending Essentia launch, i was told if they are not sold here then they can always be exported to RHD countries like South Africa
Old 18th May 2017, 15:36   #132
BHPian

To prep for the coming days, any recommendations for independent garages who can fix GM cars? I have used Carz in the past and was not too happy. The Hosur road Chevy service center was absolutely the worst with highest levels of incompetence being demonstrated across the board.

I need to get my Aveo shown as the engine lamp light keeps coming on and I have a niggling suspicion that it is the sensor which is the problem than the engine itself.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:38   #133
BHPian

For a manufacturer with significant desirability quotient in India, it is so disappointing to see them chicken out in this manner. For past one year, Chevrolet sold more cars than Skoda, Nissan and Fiat. When these are fighting it out trying to capture the attention of Indian buyers, what's stopping GM?

Beat and Cruze still grabbed attention of urban buyers and when I was in Srinagar last year, nearly 90% taxis there were Tavera. I really feel GM is making a big mistake here and they are squandering a big opportunity.

That apart, is there any chance of getting a deeply discounted Cruze? I am sure there won't be a problem to maintain it for a few years at least.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:39   #134
BHPian

GM (Chevy) pulled out of Europe market in 2015. They now sell Camaro and Corvette only in UK. GM also sold Vauxhall (a big player in the UK car industry) to Peugeot recently. And now it is India. Surely, something is wrong.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:39   #135
BHPian

The indian car market is taking its toll on the biggies, GM never put its heart in to indian operations, with market understanding of small cars, faster product updation or campaigns. Only Hyundai betting its entire might in emerging market and reaping benefits. Many manufacturers are lured by growth but are not taking long term view or developing country specific products.
Only silver lining is that they will not quit and use India for export markets.
bullock-Car is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks