Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 19:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
An acquaintance who works in GM mentioned that GM will not leave India because they can only have a factory (currently used for Beat to export 10000 plus units) in India if they are selling here. Same goes for Fiat for their multijet engines. GM may reorganize their market geographies but not exiting India. New launches in the pipeline.
This thread has been re-opened now, and first thing that comes to my mind is your post here which i quote.

Is it really a law that the manufacturer has to sell the product here mandatorily, before exporting it?

I could not find many references to it.
Old 7th April 2017, 19:47   #47
BANNED

I don't think Chevrolet would withdraw from indian market so soon. Especially at a time when the world is looking at India as the next big market.

GM surely needs to focus on bringing better products. For eg. In the last few years, Spark, beat, and the Cruze. These were definitely a hit with the people and they should bring their replacements. And the best part is they already have a factory set and the dealer network in place. Only need the product now. Consider that in comparison to extent of effort that is needed for a new brand to enter into the market.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 20:03   #48
BHPian

I am pretty sure they are in the middle of a change. Out of 2 plants in India, Talegaon plant would be owned and operated by CSIPL (GM subsidiary in India) which no matter what happens will still produce Export variants.

I had left GM way back in 2013 with the same product line up as on date and it's still surviving with the same numbers!
ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 21:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...form=hootsuite Are they in exit mode ???

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2017 at 10:12. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please!
Old 7th April 2017, 23:23   #50
BHPian

I can react to this news in just 2 words. "Who cares?".

With their current line up in our country that is neither exciting nor modern, people will not care what they do. They can continue to produce the boring line up they have or shut shop and leave. People will not even realize that they are not around anymore. But that would be a sad end to a company that makes and sells good cars everywhere else in the world except India.
DieselAddikt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 00:49   #51
BHPian

In worst case, the plant/s will still be operational and would aid to local economy by providing employment.

What happened to Daewoo's unit in Greater Noida is a sad story.

The plant looks like a ghost town as if it was completely evacuated within an hour or so!
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 11:38   #52
BHPian

Indeed GM is not exiting India. They are merely selling their Halol plant to SAIC which plans to introduce its range of MG branded vehicles from this plant.
MG is gaining traction in Thailand (even had the opportunity to visit their plant) as their cars offer more features for less. Quality however is questionable.

OTH, GM is investing hugely in Talegaon and infact has been offering a move to its employees to either of Talegaon or Bangalore. As someone also pointed out earlier, they still have plans to launch Beat Essentia which has been delayed more than often. I even heard that Chevy is exploring the possibility of launching Cruze sometime next year.

In the near term though, the scenario remains challenging. If at all it decides to, it will not be less than foolhardy for GM to exit an attractive and growing market such as India where vehicle penetration is..so low!
MacBa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 17:27   #53
BHPian

Dated designs, indifferent marketing, customer swindling dealerships, limited portfolio.
I wonder how they lasted this long.
Old 9th April 2017, 11:34   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
This thread has been re-opened now, and first thing that comes to my mind is your post here which i quote.

Is it really a law that the manufacturer has to sell the product here mandatorily, before exporting it?

Not too sure about this from a legal perspective. However, it will only make sense for a company to take such decisions if it has enough volumes to justify a full fledged production line. Further, a company doing so would definitely like to source parts locally, in which case, it might as well launch the same car in such market.
Old 9th April 2017, 18:38   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
I can react to this news in just 2 words. "Who cares?".
I do!

I own a Chevy Beat. If GM were to exit India, I will have to decide on weather to keep the car or sell? what price it would fetch?

If I decide to retain the car, would I be able to get all the parts 2 years down the line?

Questions! Questions!

They may be a minor market share holder in India, definitely makes a difference to all those who bought a Chevy
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 18:57   #56
BHPian

On a lighter note, I'm worried about the cops in Crime Patrol Dial 100, Tavera is their vehicle of choice, so what will they do now?

I'm guessing move to Storme, which seems to be the favorite of the Army and Police now a days.

slicks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 19:05   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
I do!

I own a Chevy Beat.
Same here. With my Chevy Sail at 58k on the odo and almost 4 years on the clock, this is a crazy time for me.
Last year of the loan. So only principal being repaid. Car has no issues and has no reason for being sold.
But I travel a lot with my family along. The "What If?" scenarios are very irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
On a lighter note, I'm worried about the cops in Crime Patrol Dial 100, Tavera is their vehicle of choice, so what will they do now?
I though the same while watching an episode the other day.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 19:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend who owns a beat .
No problems as yet.
He is a dilemma to keep it or sell it.

More worried about the availability of spares
Old 10th April 2017, 14:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Its very confusing from GM. At one side there are rumors of them shutting shop, on other side I see production ready cars on road. Why arent they releasing an official statement.

Last week I saw an Orange colored Chevrolet Beat with its logo covered with tapes parked at Baner High street (happening place with a few good pubs and restaurants so flocked with good cars). Took a good look at the interiors and exteriors, almost like a reviewer while my wife was shouting to leave the car alone and go to the pub asap

- Paint quality was good as usual.
- Exterior fit and finish was great with consistent shutlines all over.
- Front looks nice and aggressive.
- Side profile is same as old car. A big downer.
- Hatch is a bit weird as number plate moves down on bumper. Leaves a lot of empty space as if giving a feeling of something was removed from there.
- Interior is weird, upper dash is black while lower portions and doors are beige. Didn't look great (or upmarket should I say !)
- Bike like console with a different design compared to current crop.
- Piano black surround around AC vents was good.
- No Automatic climate control.
- Touch screen ICE
- Gear lever arrangement and design same as current one.
- Fixed head rests on rear seats.
- Steering wheel same as current car.
- Was having the same old dated alloy wheels used on Beat

Overall, I liked the car and questioned myself if I would replace my Beat D with this, my heart said yes but my brain, a BIG NO, add to that my wife pulling me away from the car, I felt everything is connected. This car is a clear case of 'too little too late'. Maybe if they price it lower than its competition, it might sell.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 09:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

Not sure if it's the law but like someone else pointed out it makes sense. I was quoting a friend who works at GM and he did not seem that bothered about the rumour. He is himself waiting for the Essentia so that he can buy one because at his level if he buys a GM product, EMIs will be paid by the company. But again this was a conversation exactly a month back. Need to speak to him again for the latest update. However, there is a global meet or something like that coming up very soon at GM where decisions will be taken on the future of GM in India.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed