Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2017, 21:48   #91
BHPian

re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I think the new building is for Tata, Fiat & Isuzu.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...iat-isuzu.html
I distinctly remember reading KHT Chevrolet on the new building along with a GM sign on it. Will try to click a pic next time I cross it. It was on the main road on the left towards tumkur

Just remembered! its at Goraguntepalya.

Last edited by superutp : 15th May 2017 at 21:54.
Old 16th May 2017, 14:52   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Okay, got the latest update, hot off the oven.

GM India is winding up operations in the next 3 months. The employees have all been informed of the same and have been asked to look for a new job along with the severance package mentioned above.
I just checked with my friend in GM who is in middle management there. But he is not aware of any such thing going on in the company. So don't know where this news is coming from?
JKBKS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 13:34   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

GM senior official from Detroit, Singapore to decide on Indian operations, likely to be announced tomorrow.

Senior officials of General Motors, from Detroit and regional office in Singapore are here in India to finalise the India action plan which is likely to be announced on Thursday.

Quote:
The beleaguered American carmaker may be winding up its domestic sales here while service support and exports from India will continue.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th May 2017 at 13:36.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 23:33   #94
psn
BHPian

Latest Update on the issue:

"GM senior official from Detroit, Singapore in India; likely to make new announcement tomorrow
The beleaguered American carmaker may be winding up its domestic sales here while service support and exports from India will continue." - Economic Times

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...tions/58713834

Volkman 10: Just realised after posting that you have already updated the forum..

As a Chevy owner, this is heart stopping moments. Sadly, the condition of GM india has reached a stage where I am loosing faith on the company and its officials. I don't think launching the best product in the world will help them now. I guess, if they stay here, they will have to restore the faith first before even thinking of launching any product.

Also: what can the car owners do in this case?

Last edited by psn : 17th May 2017 at 23:39.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:44   #95
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big shoutout to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to remain anonymous) for sharing this news:

Quote:
1. Service people will be retained for 2 years to cater to existing customers. Also GM is in talks with Mahindra to service GM vehicles during this time.

2. The updated Beat is most likely to be launched as well because there are more than 2000 right hand drive units which have already been produced which are required to be sold. LHD units will of course be exported.

3. Fate of the other Indian employees will be decided in the meeting in Gurgaon where officials have flown over from Detroit. Discussions on whether they will be in the system for 3 or 6 months and the severance package.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 09:04   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. The updated Beat is most likely to be launched as well because there are more than 2000 right hand drive units which have already been produced which are required to be sold. LHD units will of course be exported.
I guess Uber or OLA might get a juicy fleet deal for these
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 09:09   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big shoutout to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to remain anonymous) for sharing this news:
The updated Beat is most likely to be launched as well because there are more than 2000 right hand drive units which have already been produced which are required to be sold
Who is going yo buy these 2000 units with all these rumors? And if they announce their exit officially, then how are they expecting to sell these units? People are already shy of GM and now all this!!
Old 18th May 2017, 10:13   #98
psn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am hoping against hope that this is not true.

Wonder what happens to customers who, like me, have paid hefty amounts for extended warranty. The resale value plunges to a level, that we can't sell the car. The after sales becomes so bad that we can't retain the car.

I was really hoping that they would re-organize and restructure the present set-up for a long-term sustainable business model, considering that they have spent 2 decades here and that India is on the road to become of the biggest markets in world.

Still keeping fingers crossed.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:15   #99
BHPian

Holy - is this the right time to sell off my Beat LT? I have covered 49k kms and it is a 2010 top end (LT) model. I feel really, really sad that this is the state of GM in India. The Beat and Spark were fantastic products. I can vouch for the fact that the Beat has never ever given me any trouble whatsoever, not even any faint rattle - and the build quality is quite strong given it's class.

GM India is the perfect example of how a company can be brought down to shambles by pure mismanagement.
quadmaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 10:53   #100
Team-BHP Support

Just two years?

What about spares and service afterwards? Aren't they legally bound to provide the same for upto 15 years since the sales stop for cars?
Old 18th May 2017, 11:08   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just two years?

What about spares and service afterwards? Aren't they legally bound to provide the same for upto 15 years since the sales stop for cars?
Maybe that's why the negotiation with Mahindra, to sell the spares and service cars upto 10 years.

But knowing the blokes at Mahindra, I hope GM opens some OTC sale option - either offline or online - owners will be lot happier to get the cars serviced at their trusted FNGs.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:12   #102
BHPian

Being an existing Beat owner, I don't really care about GM operations in India. Beat has been an excellent companion, no major niggles in 7 years (76000KM) of ownership so far, but GM's play here in India has been negligible. So it wont make any difference to me if they completely wind up (new car owners have to worry though). What I need is OTC sale support of spare parts.

Chevy cars are no rockets employing any state-of-the-art technologies anyway. I will be more than happy to service it on local garages provided spares are available
Old 18th May 2017, 11:41   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just two years?

Legal obligation is to provide spares and support up to 5 years after the discontinuation of a model - in this case a closure / termination
nareshtrao is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 12:09   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Well maintained and niggle free 2011 Cruze LT with 93k km. Keep or sell? Real dilemma now!

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th May 2017 at 12:11. Reason: Typo
Old 18th May 2017, 12:38   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Well maintained and niggle free 2011 Cruze LT with 93k km. Keep or sell? Real dilemma now!
Sell it, you might have also got bored with the car ! generally the excitement subsides in 5+ years, and you have happily used it for this duration.

You will find takers as of now if you are the first owner. After formal announcement, it would be very difficult.

Get it serviced, take her out for a long drive - say 1000 km, enjoy the drive as you may please and happily say Goodbye !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed