Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 18:06   #151

Re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

I feel sad that my first post on Team-BHP had to be on this issue.

I own a 2011 Cruze LT. The car completed 1L KMs recently and is still going strong. The car is niggle free and is still fun to drive. I never had much issues with the service center people either. With the rumors of GM leaving India I tried to sell my car. But for the offer that I got I decided it is better to keep the car as it is running just fine. Will drive it for as long as it runs good and then give it away at any price it will fetch.

The GM through its official website has given assurance that the service centers will function and spare parts will be available for all cars. Hope the service centers will continue to function.
The Cruze guy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:09   #152
BHPian

The Chevy dealer in my hometown had already shut his shop a month ago.

This is very disappointing - dad has a Spark and it's a great car for the price. 8 years back, the only other options available in that segment were Alto and Zen Estilo. It has given minimal trouble all this time and can easily go for 10 more years. Hope spares and service aren't that big an issue.
Old 18th May 2017, 18:16   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Strange but true - Chevrolet's chequered downfall over the years in India!

Attachment 1639917

Source-Jato
that chart actually looks like a CAR with slopy front more like Spark. Deeply saddened to hear the news.

Looks like company has given up on a market which is slated to be 50% Electric by 2030 (Read Ministry's announcement) despite its strategy firmly on Electric and next gen technologies.

Seems a bad call, Someone is trying to run this company more like Private Equity partners do. Sell of the bad assets and keep good assets just to maximize its share value. Pretty soon they should find the Maruti and Hyundai running on their Heels in their profit making market of USA/China
anu21v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:20   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
It is Daewoo story revisited. Ironically, Daewoo was honest about its condition, unlike GM literally cheating us. I can only imagine how many court cases will be filed against the company in India including consumer disputes. They will be defending these litigation for far more years than servicing their left over cars.
Great mate. You literally got it 100% right by using the correct word-Cheaters. They actually are. They have played with the emotions of Indian public. I recall at some point of time, they had used the punchline of-there for you, there for India. Now where are they for India? In Times of India, Delhi edition also they had this Chevrolet Cruze advertisement.

Secondly, the big management talks throwing those Politically correct statements that these people make in public seems more like a cover-up operations to hide their faults. Americans suffer more from a superiority complex and they think that whatever they do is the best in the world. Wheras the truth is that they have the most finicky mindset in the world and goof-up numerous times. i can safely say so due to the fact that i work for one of the biggest american IT company and in the past 6 years of my employment with this company, i have seen them change management strategy at-least 12 times. God save GM and god save my company.

Thirdly, giving their service to Mahindra will make life more worse for the existing customers. As already mentioned on this forum, we have heard about the flip-flop attitude of Mahindra service many times. God save the customers of Chevrolet.

Fourth and most important, What about the employees who would have recently joined Chevrolet in Gurugram? simply giving them 3 months of compensation would not serve any purpose. How would they exist in long run? Is 3 month sufficient for them to secure a new job? It is something that GM management needs to think about it.

Lastly, it is GM which is squarely to be blamed for the failure of their India business. the management needs to be punished for pushing the future of thousands of employees in darkness. Worldwide MD & India MD should be brought to task and they should not be allowed to leave the country till the time they are acquitted by Indian law.
su1978 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:30   #155
BHPian

Alright now - Can I have a brand new Trailblazer for under 12 lacs? Quite possible by December! Wonder how much they have in stock though. Not a huge fan of the Cruze, but I seriously empathise with all those who bought it recently without much of a bargain. Talking about the decision in itself and emotions aside, I honestly feel this was GM's only way out. They had sunk themselves into a black hole in India, to a point of no return.

Back in the day - Captiva, Cruze, Optra, Tavera, Beat, Spark - Their lineup wasn't too bad in in their respective segments. The Optra continues to be one of my all time favourites, magnum in the diesel avatar was one hell of a beautiful machine. Sturdy, powerful and supremely comfortable. I've always had a soft corner for the Captiva as well. Cruze and the Beat had a very decent, above average run and the Tavera can be termed a hit (ignore the emission scandals). Spark was quite competitive considering the segment. So where did GM lose it?

To me, it was undoubtedly the "Chinese" approach and a flawed marketing roadmap. Launching products like the Sail Twins and Enjoy when the market was ripe killed it for GM. Had they revised their portfolio a good 4-5 years ago, it would have been a different story altogether. Not that they don't have competitive cars in their international stable, but being lethargic have cost them quite a chunky pie in India.

I've admired the Opel Astra as a school kid, gushed over an SRV (wattaa car) while passing out of college, visited showrooms to sit in the Captiva, almost bought an Optra Magnum after starting to work, planned to consider a used Trainblazer in the near future - the relationship between me and GM was always so close, yet so far.

I'm moving to NY soon, a Camaro or a Tahoe or a Corvette? Life is a funny ride, you never know! On that note, RIP - GM India.
RSM_TorqueZoner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 19:20   #156
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Sad.
But the fact is that they kept giving us re badged Korean vehicles here.
Their subsidiary Holden, in Australia, is also pretty much on its last legs.
Today there is absolutely no car from the General Motors stable, which is desirable, from an average Indian's point of view.
Like someone on this thread said, I guess the regular Indian just wants more and more and more Maruti's and Hondas and Hyundais and Toyotas.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 19:22   #157
BHPian

Sad news indeed. I own a 2009 Aveo and it has given me no trouble until recently due to the lack of interest and care on the dealers part the car suffered a few malfunctions. its nearing 80000km now and is still rattle free.

In the sea of applauds for the Hyundai's and Maruti's of the world the little known niggle free ownership reports of numerous Aveo, Spark and Beat owners were somehow lost.

Now we can see them in real light when owners are coming out and telling their stories while others lament on the decision.

Will scrap the car as it nears its end. No other choice.
Old 18th May 2017, 20:10   #158
BHPian

Sadly its official now.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/chevrolet-...m-2018-1695307

I always wished to own a Cruze LTZ and this is sad news.
Old 18th May 2017, 20:30   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruze guy View Post
I feel sad that my first post on Team-BHP had to be on this issue.
Welcome to the forum The Cruze guy! Good to hear your pleasant experience of ownership with your Chevy. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruze guy View Post
The GM through its official website has given assurance that the service centers will function and spare parts will be available for all cars. Hope the service centers will continue to function.
That said, ok thank you General Motors. But honestly, I can foresee a crunch in sourcing spares, further being backed by a weak supply chain which will be managed only half heartedly. I'd be rather happy if I am proved wrong though. Time will tell. Do share your experience on this, would love to hear from you.

Welcome again and cheer up. You are a proud owner of a luxury American sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Will scrap the car as it nears its end. No other choice.
Dear lionell,

80K on the odo is too less to scrap such a lovely car. My advice to you would be to take some pains and maintain it. After all, you a BHPian and you ought to love cars. Take up this challenge and share us your experience. Fellow BHPians are there to assist you. Thanks.

Last edited by Nohonking : 18th May 2017 at 20:48.
Nohonking is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 20:32   #160
PCS
BHPian

I remember the Indian ad

I am the Sun
I am the Moon
I am the Smile
I am the Prize
I am your neighbor
I am Chevrolet
I am the END.

Miss you badly Chevy
PCS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 21:09   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Worldwide MD & India MD should be brought to task and they should not be allowed to leave the country till the time they are acquitted by Indian law.
Worldwide MD is a tall order, however the GM India management shouldn't be allowed to Scot free.
Mahindra has decided to exit UK and they are buying back the cars from customers. They are not doing it willingly, they are doing so as they are bound by law.
There are so many Chevrolet vehicles plying on road. GM's service is already pathetic. After exit from sales one can imagine the situation. I hope government pitches in and ensures existing customers don't suffer.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 21:18   #162
BHPian

The reports say that they're going to continue exports. If that's the case, they should've rationalised their product line, rather than shutting down.

The intention of GM never had a firm decisiveness. I'd experienced this during my Opel Astra ownership. Although, they'd excellent products, the support was lacklustre.

This news will send a wrong signal to other manufacturers who're struggling with small numbers in sales.
Old 18th May 2017, 21:29   #163
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to hear this news. Ok, I never owned any Chevy car but was always a big fan of their Cruze. Even today in the midst of all new sedans, Cruze can hold its own. Pity that GM never put their heart and mind into their business in India. They just seem content with their North American, South American and Middle East market.

In the current scenario, the only GM car worth buying would be Trailblazer, if they offer under discount, because even after GM's departure, one can get spares from its just-launched clone, Isuzu MU-X.
Old 18th May 2017, 21:49   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
This news will send a wrong signal to other manufacturers who're struggling with small numbers in sales.
Exactly my worry! This could send a very wrong signal to some of the other manufacturers who are struggling in India. And there are a few more companies below GM -

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-158780.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 22:34   #165
Senior - BHPian

As a 2011 Beat owner, its a sad day for me. Other than the mediocre service centers and a few small problems, the car has stood up pretty well over the last 6 years (6th bday was on the 5th of May). As such I have found a good FNG to take care of my car and I dont think spares will be too much of an issue atleast for now so I guess I will keep using my Beat for a couple more years before replacing it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks