Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 21:54   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Was chatting to the a big south India dealers' cluster manager who I have known for 10 years now and is highly respected as a technical guru in Cruze and Captiva.

He mentioned the following:

1. Chevy service business is reasonably profitable and even though some BLR dealers were pulling out, other big dealers were expected to stay on. Service locations MAY become an issue depending where customers stay/work.

2. The Cruze is fundamentally a 'dumb' vehicle compared to a electronics-laden Octavia, Jetta, Tiguan etc. and is proven robust mechanically and electrically. They have no trend of blown ECUs or known faulty engine components etc.

3. Apart from consistent and known heavy brake pad and clutch/flywheel wear , there are no issues with the Cruze as such. Of course a lot is dependent on driving styles as many customers consistently half-clutch in traffic and wreck the pressure plate and DMF.

4. GM & GMDAT have plentifully sold Cruzes across SEA & SA so spares (even body parts & glass items) are not going to be an issue for 3/4 years more.

5. They are already facing pressure from MoRTH & GoI to articulate service and spares scenario much more clearly for the Indian consumer.

These were as articulated from him, but being a long-time Cruze and Aveo owner since 2007, these statements sound reasonable.
itwasntme is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 10:16   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

General Motors are in talks with Mahindra Group to provide after- sales support to existing customers.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:59   #258
BHPian

I took my Cruze 2016 LT for evaluation of buy back and the rates offered was abysmal. Most of Cruze parts are available online in international websites and even if there is no service support, delay alone might be an issue. Hence, I think the better option for all Cruze owners is not to sell in panic, but to invest in a 2nd small car as standby for peace of mind. The loss difference will easily make up for the advance of a new car.
The car in itself is performing flawlessly, so fingers crossed that it serves me well for another lakh of Kms.
The saddest part is that NCAP ratings of Cruze were the best in its segment and my primary concern was safety and comfort. Let's hope that GM handles its existing warranties honorably and we have at least some pleasant memories of the Chevy experience.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 13:03   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I took my Cruze 2016 LT for evaluation of buy back and the rates offered was abysmal. Most of Cruze parts are available online in international websites and even if there is no service support, delay alone might be an issue. Hence, I think the better option for all Cruze owners is not to sell in panic, but to invest in a 2nd small car as standby for peace of mind. The loss difference will easily make up for the advance of a new car.
The car in itself is performing flawlessly, so fingers crossed that it serves me well for another lakh of Kms.
The saddest part is that NCAP ratings of Cruze were the best in its segment and my primary concern was safety and comfort. Let's hope that GM handles its existing warranties honorably and we have at least some pleasant memories of the Chevy experience.
Neil, my advice is not to panic or fret. I know your mental and financial 'investment' (2016 LT) is far more than mine (2011 LT).

However:
1. The Cruze is a very old-school tough-built sedan
2. With a solid engine (mine is the old VM Motori RA420 SOHC 1991 cc 148hp/320Nm from GM Korea; yours is the GM FamZ VCDi DOHC 1998 cc 163hp/340Nm one)
3. Over-engineered and Fiat Punto-type heavy Body-In-White (BIW)
4. Hefty body panels (except the boot!), and
5. With comparatively less electronics.
6. GM India will be forced to provide good ASS as GM Global, customers, judiciary and MoRTH & GoI will probably ensure the same
7. Online parts sourcing like boodmo.com will probably expand

Nothing will go wrong touch-wood for a long time. Relax and enjoy your ride!
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 18:06   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Well I got lucky and sold off my aging and should I say the most problematic car that I have ever owned, my Spark just last week. The writing was all over the wall since the last few years it was only a matter of time that this announcement came. Now just wondering who will be next?
I've had terrible experiences myself with my Spark (2009).
How much did you sell it for?
Old 28th May 2017, 09:19   #261
Oxy
BHPian

I took my 2011 Spark LS (LPG) for evaluation to Bimal Auto (Maruti dealer) yesterday and was offered Rs.1 lakh for it (plus exchange bonus if I choose to buy any car from them except for Brezza and the new Dzire). It's been sparsely driven (21600 Kms on the odo) and the car is in good condition overall so I feel the price offered is low.

What do fellow BHPians think? Is this the best I can hope for?

Last edited by Oxy : 28th May 2017 at 09:23.
Old 28th May 2017, 10:33   #262
Senior - BHPian

I think 1 Lakh is too low for your car. Try to find an individual buyer through online classifieds. Anything around 1.75 is reasonable I think. Other option is to keep it as a second city car if parking space is not an issue.
Old 28th May 2017, 13:26   #263
BHPian

Did anyone enquire what kind of offers are dealers throwing in for the potential new customers? I'm sure even they must be worried about clearing their stocks at the earliest
Old 29th May 2017, 15:56   #264
Senior - BHPian

I would have definitely bought the Cruze if the existing offers were available 3 months back. At that point even though I knew that GM was definitely wrapping up, no offers were available, and the cars were from 2016, so I went ahead with the City.
Old 1st June 2017, 12:22   #265
BANNED

This makes things very interesting!! Check this out, huge discounts incoming. I think Cruze makes for the best deal since it was popular and parts Shouldn't be an issue. The beat discount isn't much and the base versions are too barebones.
https://www.rushlane.com/chevrolet-c...-12243580.html
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 17:30   #266
BHPian

^I called up a couple of dealers and they told me that nothing was confirmed as of now. If it does turn out to be true, I'll probably get the Cruze LTZ AT. We're looking for another car for the house for city runabouts and I was leaning towards the Polo GT, and you're right, this does make things interesting.

Only thing is, I'd prefer a petrol motor. Let's see.
Old 1st June 2017, 18:13   #267
BHPian

Cruze AT being offered by local dealer for 16L OTR mysore! He says all warranties and commitments will be honored. Is this a good deal?
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:05   #268
BHPian

Buy a Cruze, get a Beat free. Read this article on Cartoq.com . According to them, Cruze Ltz MT is being offered at 9.99 Ex-Showroom for MT, 10.99 for AT. Can someone confirm if it is indeed true. I would be really interested in this deal if true.
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:25   #269
Senior - BHPian

We have a Chevrolet Spark LT 2012 model.

Now with this news, i am not sure what to do with it. Keep it for atleast 3 more years, or sell it and get a new Tiago/Algo K10.
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:39   #270
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
We have a Chevrolet Spark LT 2012 model.

Now with this news, i am not sure what to do with it. Keep it for atleast 3 more years, or sell it and get a new Tiago/Algo K10.
The resale isn't gonna be that great now anyway, so unless you have the need for a bigger car or have any problems with the Spark, I'd suggest keeping it. It's really good as a city car.
I have a December 2010 Chevy Spark too
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed