Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Heard Chevrolet is planning to wind up its operations in India.

I own a cruze and my dealing with the service center gave me an impression that they are least interested, important parts like front shocks, hoses etc are unavailable. My car is in the workshop since Monday and will take another 10 days, they have asked me to advance the payment for the spares since it wont be dispatched otherwise, looks like another skoda in the making. The SA called me yesterday to come and make the payment and when I went there they were only accepting cash and no other option(the CC machine was not working).

With no newer/facelift models coming in, I feel the rumor is right and looks like they are winding up. This was conveyed to me by a close friend who has connections in Chevy, fellow members please feel free to add any info on this.

Mods; please merge if there is an existing thread.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 23rd March 2017 at 14:22.
pramodkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2017 at 09:29.
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Read it recently. GM is putting hold on it's operations.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/57701244.cms

There are possibilities as mentioned by amtak as well.
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Either they will wind up or sell cars with PSA . Two partners in crime! Perfect couple in Indian market
Nice what a nice way to kill a brand, partnering with birlas would be last nail in the coffin, we cannot forget how they killed Mitsubishi in india.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Read it recently. GM is putting hold on it's operations.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/57701244.cms

There are possibilities as mentioned by amtak as well.
That is sad, especially after buying the Cruze, I wished what I heard was not true. But looks like I might have to flip this one soon

Pramod
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:28   #5
BHPian

Here is a related thread

Chevrolet India: The way forward

Hoping GM would have better plans to resurrect Chevrolet Brand in India. Painful to see Chevrolet doing nothing in that direction.

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 23rd March 2017 at 15:30.
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:03   #6

But why would they have been testing the new Beat on Indian roads then?
bluebird is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
But why would they have been testing the new Beat on Indian roads then?
True that.

Seriously, there is some miscommunication here or there is some information gap.

There is a separate thread on our forum where Chevrolet Essentia has been spotted testing as recently as March 20, 2017, i.e. 3 days ago. (Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-2017-a-5.html)

Similarly, the new Beat has also been spotted testing on Indian road in 2017 (Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/2017-c...ted-inside-out).

It is a known fact that Chevrolet has put all it's future plans on hold in India, and there's is also the sale of it's brand to PSA, but a manufacturer won't be testing it's new products in the country till a week back and then decide to just abandon all it's operations.

Without jumping the gun, we all should wait for some official statement or announcements by the company or some of our own Team-Bhp members who know someone working in senior management of Chevrolet, can provide the insights.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th March 2017 at 10:41. Reason: typo
Amit_breakfree is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Seeing a lot of Beat Taxis on the roads nowadays. I guess if it sells decently in the Taxi segment the company will hang on. Hopefully it will make spares easier to get for Beat owners like me.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:08   #9
BHPian

Guess what, a new Chevrolet dealership has come up in my city of Gulbarga by name Aarya Chevrolet. They are sending messages to current Chevrolet owners on discounts on services, labour and spares.
Vikvkv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

An acquaintance who works in GM mentioned that GM will not leave India because they can only have a factory (currently used for Beat to export 10000 plus units) in India if they are selling here. Same goes for Fiat for their multijet engines. GM may reorganize their market geographies but not exiting India. New launches in the pipeline.
Altocumulus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 09:26   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Chevrolet decides to withdraw from the Indian market, this appears to be a loose rumour. Closing thread until more concrete information is received.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 13:15   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Re-opening this thread as now, even the Economic Times has reported on the same. Source & Full Article:

Quote:
The beleaguered General Motors India may stop domestic sales from next month and may run the plant only to cater to export markets.

According to sources , General Motors India may make a formal announcement of cessation of domestic in May.

The decision could be the first signs that General Motors may be thinking of winding up its India operation.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 13:49   #13
BHPian

With the ill-repute the brand has managed to garner here in the last few years, I guess it will be very hard to turn around their fortune. More than the introduction of bland SAIC cars, their lackadaisical sales and incompetent service network has managed to totally alleviate buyers' confidence from the brand. The fate of the Essentia sedan can also be foretold quite accurately at this juncture. The competition is already miles ahead. As for the cab segment, most Beat cabs I have availed, the owners/drivers have been cribbing about bad service and random breakdowns. Cost of upkeep has started to sky-rocket as dealers are trying to fleece the few available customers. It will still be sad to see the exit of GM.
mi2n is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 14:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes. It seems to be true as most M&S people, (Marketing & Sales), are desperately looking for jobs. (As told to me by a friend who works in a job consultancy in Delhi. Apparently she is being deluged by CV's popping out of GM India).
I also believe, Mr P. Balendran - the GM stalwart since its starting days in India has also moved out, lending credence to GM folding up its domestic operations.

Sad to see a icon fade out. Soon there will be countless management case studies and "white papers" on why GM India failed.

Shows how improper planning, inability to understand the market and sheer dunder-headedness by top management can ruin a company's operations in India.
Indians actually liked GM products - the Astra sold well, the Tavera was quite a big seller, the Corsa was tepid (due to wrong pricing), and lastly the Cruze clocked in decent numbers during its heydays.
After that? Nothing. Instead of getting the new Chevy Trax, Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, they decided to bring in half baked products from China trying to palm it off as Chevy products.
Had they planned properly, Cadillac could have established itself by now as a worthy competitor in the luxury space.
They did get an SUV, that too a huge hulk with two wheel drive only, at a price which was simply out of the reach of the masses to get the sales volumes.

The amount of money GM spent in setting up Talegaon plant, they would have been better off had they invested half of that in developing a new platform, a la Renault, and rolled out a new suite of India products.

And it is not that they do not have the capability to do so. Their R&D centre in Bangalore is pretty robust and it played a large role in downsizing the 4-cylinder Fiat 1.3SDE to the 1.0L Beat diesel triple which incidentally was unique in its segment. (The Hyundai Grand i10 & Tiago diesel triples came much later and was benchmarked against the Beat triple!) But GM didn't exploit their own R&D's full potential.

Obviously with practically no products to sell, dealers were a disgruntled lot with no inclination towards sales or infrastructure improvements.

In a way its good GM india is shutting shop. It wont harm the brand any further. Sad, but true.
arjab is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 14:52   #15
BHPian

I think they are planning to exit and enter as SAIC

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/28/news...eneral-motors/
vivek_gaur69 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks