Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2017, 16:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lexus RX 450h launched in India at Rs. 1.07 crore

Mod Note: Our Lexus Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The Lexus RX 450h has been launched in India at prices starting from Rs. 1.07 crore (ex-showroom, Delhi). It is one of the first three Lexus products to be introduced in the country. In India, this five-seater hybrid luxury SUV will be available with two variants - Luxury and F-Sport.

The front fascia of the RX 450h is characterised by the large spindle grille, flanked on both sides by a pair of sharply designed headlamps that house LED DRLs. On the side, the SUV gets flared wheel arches, a floating roof and some prominent character lines running on the door panels. The rear gets LED tail lights that are connected by a chrome strip and a prominent roof-mounted spoiler.

The RX 450h is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine that works in tandem with an electric powertrain. The combined system output is rated at 308 BHP, while transmission duties are handled by an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (e-CVT). Lexus claims that the SUV can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 7.7 seconds and its top speed is 200 km/h. There are four driving modes on offer: NORMAL, ECO, SPORT and EV. It has a company-claimed fuel economy of 18.87 km/l.

Features on offer with the RX 450h include a 12.3-inch infotainment system, a Mark Levinson surround sound system, coloured heads-up display, panoramic roof and wireless charging. Safety features include parking assist, ABS, VSC, tyre pressure alert and 10 SRS airbags.

Prices:
• RX 450h Luxury - Rs. 1,07,29,000
• RX 450h F-Sport - Rs. 1,09,61,000

Lexus RX 450h launched in India at Rs. 1.07 crore-lightboxgalleryhighlights01.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2017 at 11:06. Reason: Link to review
dZired is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 16:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Lexus RX 450h launched in India at Rs. 1.07 crore

Lexus RX 450h costs $53,035 in the US.

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX-hybrid

Which is about Rs. 34,69,151.

Even with 130% import duty how did the price become 3x?
Foxbat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 16:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Lexus RX 450h costs $53,035 in the US.

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX-hybrid

The same way a ₹ 25 L 'Stang costs ₹ 75 L here!!! It's called the Indian ripoff!! The difference between the German Triumvirate and the Japs should lie in the ownership experience, which may not be as wallet busting; or am I day dreaming!!??

Last edited by Durango Dude : 24th March 2017 at 16:56.
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 17:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The same way a ₹ 25 L 'Stang costs ₹ 75 L here!!! It's called the Indian ripoff!! The difference between the German Triumvirate and the Japs should lie in the ownership experience, which may not be as wallet busting; or am I day dreaming!!??
Paying three times the cost just for ownership experience?
One could buys 2 equivalent Germans for the price of 1 Jap.

Except for the Hybrid tech & ASS, is there really any benefit after paying twice the the money of it's rivals?
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 17:12   #5
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Exactly!

I am mostly a mute member these days, but this particular launch post made me to log in and write something. As rightly pointed out by Durango dude, we are ripped off for anything which remotely comes close to aspirational or luxury models. If you notice all models of German Big3 along with VW are overpriced by at least 30-40% compared to US prices (UK/Eu prices are generally more then US ones) even when they are being locally produced. If its a CBU, logic just flies off the roof.

If you notice the current pricing of cars available in Indian market, Verna/Ciaz is the segment untill which the prices could be considered logical. Any cars/UV above that price range have nearly touched the next segment prices.

Its not hard to fathom though, why the prices are seeing an upward trend. Indian market is not matured and people willing to splurge more and more on cars. When our market reached a position where people understand the worth of a car more than just the brand name, prices would settle. Untill then, you could see all these over priced cars flocking our market and there are thousands of people eagerly waiting to buy them.

Thanks,
Abhishek.
e46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 17:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

I find this pricing to be a bit high. Considering the RX is smaller than cars like the X5, ML, etc I don't understand why its priced at such a premium. While Lexus is well known, I doubt its brand name justifies such a big premium especially when it doesn't give you anything extra in terms of powertrain or features. Seems to be another one of Toyotas overpriced CBUs.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 17:57   #7
BHPian

Maybe it is priced high because it is going to spend less time at workshop compared to Germans.
aerohit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 20:05   #8
BHPian

Import duty or not, Lexus cars currently launched are all placed at a segment higher than what they are actually sold at in more mature markets. I understand all this extra tax hogwash, but where sensibility takes a back seat is the manufacturer adding a further 'India rip-off tax' in addition to what our dear government already pockets.

I said this in the other Lexus thread and I am saying it here. Lexus just doesn't have the aspirational value of ze Germans nor do I see this happening anytime in the near future. If there was an argument of 'Reliability' and low cost service, then I am sorry to say, the price premium is just not worth. If I were so worried about reliability, I would just buy an M5 and a Toyota Camry for an almost similar price.
racer_ash is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 20:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Import Duty is 125 % Add CVD (30% for SUV ) + Some cess + Additional duty 4 % & Sales tax ( 12-14 % ) - all adds up to 200% , Rs 100 Ex US becomes Rs 300 or something.

So they are close, Dealer margins are very less and we should not expect discounts like Germans. How Lexus is different from others is that they transfer Cars to Indian subsidiary at close to retail prices, unlike Germans which transfer at much lower Group stock transfer cost prices. They take back money via R&D and other route and thereby save customs duties.

can check here

Import duty & taxes for Bmw x3 suv car
The import duty rate for importing Bmw x3 suv car into India is 125% , the import VAT is 0%, when classified under Cars & Motorcycles → Cars | new - diesel → Diesel Car | engine capacity > 2500cc with HS commodity code 8703.33.91. Additional taxes apply: Landing charges (1% CIF), Countervailing duty (30% (CIFD + Landing charges)), CESS (3% (Duty + Landing charges + CEX (Education & Higher Education CESS) + Countervailing duty)), Additional Countervailing Duty (4% (CIFD + Landing charges + Countervailing duty + CESS + CEX (Education & Higher Education CESS))).

https://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/38...-india-is-100/

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th March 2017 at 20:46.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 00:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Import Duty is 125 % Add CVD (30% for SUV ) + Some cess + Additional duty 4 % & Sales tax ( 12-14 % ) - all adds up to 200% , Rs 100 Ex US becomes Rs 300 or something.

So they are close, Dealer margins are very less and we should not expect discounts like Germans. How Lexus is different from others is that they transfer Cars to Indian subsidiary at close to retail prices, unlike Germans which transfer at much lower Group stock transfer cost prices. They take back money via R&D and other route and thereby save customs duties.

can check here

Import duty & taxes for Bmw x3 suv car
The import duty rate for importing Bmw x3 suv car into India is 125% , the import VAT is 0%, when classified under Cars & Motorcycles → Cars | new - diesel → Diesel Car | engine capacity > 2500cc with HS commodity code 8703.33.91. Additional taxes apply: Landing charges (1% CIF), Countervailing duty (30% (CIFD + Landing charges)), CESS (3% (Duty + Landing charges + CEX (Education & Higher Education CESS) + Countervailing duty)), Additional Countervailing Duty (4% (CIFD + Landing charges + Countervailing duty + CESS + CEX (Education & Higher Education CESS))).

https://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/38...-india-is-100/

The Lexus ES300h costs $41,820 in the US which is about Rs. 27,34,818

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES-hybrid

Its been launched at Rs. 55.27L or about 2.02X the US Price.

Why aren't the above calculations applicable for the ES300h?
Foxbat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 04:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
The Lexus ES300h costs $41,820 in the US which is about Rs. 27,34,818

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES-hybrid

Its been launched at Rs. 55.27L or about 2.02X the US Price.

Because it will appear stupid for EVEN those who support these greedy manufactures quoting Indian import duty structure. As if Toyota didn't have the capacity to assemble these so called Uber Reliable cars in India.

I sincerely hope the initial hype around Lexus dies and Toyota is taught a lesson.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 07:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Go through this post, I have replied to your query in ES thread, there is a difference in Import Duties on CBU based on cylinder / CC. I am not aware of exact structure but anything below 2500 cc/ 4 cylinder is charged at lower rates.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4169681 (Lexus ES 300h launched in India at Rs. 55 lakh)

Quote:
I sincerely hope the initial hype around Lexus dies and Toyota is taught a lesson.
I think they are here to stay and they are just trying to get a feel of the market. I won't be surprised if Lexus start manufacturing hybrids soon.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 10:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

There is simply too much of a premium at play here in the guise of bulletproof reliability, resale value etc.

If the Germans play it smart, I think they can really take advantage of this situation. Longer warranty, service plans etc. can help customers gain trust in the brand and bring home the machine which they 'want'.

I for one cannot understand why I shouldn't pick the excellent Volvo XC90 over this Lexus if I don't want a German.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 11:33   #14
BHPian

What is it with all of them pricing their cars so high???
Mustang, Jeeps and now this!!
On the other hand we have the volvos which IMHO are very well priced for what you get (S90) and even they are CBUs.
For that kind of money i could get a Camry Hybrid + BMW X5! and the X5 alone is a segment above the RX450!!!
abhinavsureka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 02:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Go through this post, I have replied to your query in ES thread, there is a difference in Import Duties on CBU based on cylinder / CC. I am not aware of exact structure but anything below 2500 cc/ 4 cylinder is charged at lower rates.

I think they are here to stay and they are just trying to get a feel of the market. I won't be surprised if Lexus start manufacturing hybrids soon.
So do you expect Lexus to slash couple of millions from their CROREpati cars once they start assembling? Knowing Toyota, what goes up stays up. I'd be surprised if the launch price of Lexus cars drops by 50% anytime in the future.

I don't understand. On one hand Mercedes, BMW and Audi locally assemble their cars. The launch edition CBUs aren't 3X the landing price.

Volvo doesnt assemble the cars here but imports them. Even they don't sell it at 3X the landing price.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed