Team-BHP - Lexus ES 300h launched in India at Rs. 55 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Lexus ES 300h launched in India at Rs. 55 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/185470-lexus-es-300h-launched-india-rs-55-lakh.html)

Mod Note: Our Lexus Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Lexus has launched the ES 300h mid-size luxury sedan in India at a price of Rs. 55.27 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). It will be competing against the likes of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, BMW 5-Series and the Volvo S90.

The ES 300h gets Lexus' spindle grille at the front and a pair of sharply designed double-barrel headlamps that also house the LED daytime running lamps. The side reveals a lengthened profile, while the rear gets wraparound taillights.

Powering the ES 300h is a 2.5-litre petrol engine with an electric motor, which develops a combined output of 202 BHP, while being mated to an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (e-CVT). It comes with four driving modes: NORMAL, ECO, SPORT and EV. The sedan can complete the 0-100 km/h sprint in a company claimed time of 8.5 seconds before hitting its top speed of 180 km/h. Lexus claims a fuel economy of 17.86 km/l for the ES hybrid.

The ES 300h sedan comes with a Mark Levinson surround sound system, ambient lighting and ventilated seats. Safety equipment on offer includes hill start assist, ABS, VSC, tyre pressure alert, parking assist and 10 SRS airbags.

Lexus ES 300h launched in India at Rs. 55 lakh-eshybridlightbox1.jpg
Link to Team-BHP news

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4169533)
Powering the ES 300h is a 2.5-litre petrol engine with an electric motor, which develops a combined output of 202 BHP, while being mated to an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (e-CVT). It comes with four driving modes: NORMAL, ECO, SPORT and EV. The sedan can complete the 0-100 km/h sprint in a company claimed time of 8.5 seconds before hitting its top speed of 180 km/h. Lexus claims a fuel economy of 17.86 km/l for the ES hybrid.

Pretty decent pricing - bang on with what the new 5 series (530i?), E 200 LWB, are priced at, and a little premium over other competitors from Audi and Volvo.

With the Hybrid badge, and decent specs from the looks of it - it should be able to put up a tough fight in it's segment - though I still predict the E Class would walk over this in pure sales numbers.

Disappointing that the engine is limited to 180kmph though.

Bland styling, 0-100kmph: 8.5 s, badge engineered Camry Hybrid is asking for a close to ₹67L OTR: is India ready for this?? :0 :0 :0 You could probably have a Camry Hybrid and Fortuner/Crysta top end for this price!!

How does the car compete internationally? I feel 55 lakhs ex showroom to be expensive. Only thing which would work in favour would be the Japanese reliability. The mileage is good. But the other cars have diesel options. So the running fuel costs would be the same per kilometer. Anyway, for a person buying car for such a price, mileage wouldn't be a big issue. I feel unless the price comes down the car wouldn't be sold in high numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4169533)
Powering the ES 300h is a 2.5-litre petrol engine with an electric motor, which develops a combined output of 202 BHP, while being mated to an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (e-CVT). It comes with four driving modes: NORMAL, ECO, SPORT and EV.

So, this pretty much sums up the Camry hybrid's powertrain if i'm not wrong. My guess is only the brand sells here above anything else.

55 Lakhs Ex-showroom is S-T-E-E-P.

Just an overpriced Camary Hybrid. What's with the CVT transmission at such a high cost?

On the contrary the Mercedes E Class is an S-Class without a few bells and whistles. I'm sorry but the only people who'll buy this are the ones who don't want to attract attention.

But then there's the Camary Hybrid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4169543)
Pretty decent pricing - bang on with what the new 5 series (530i?), E 200 LWB, are priced at, and a little premium over other competitors from Audi and Volvo.

With the Hybrid badge, and decent specs from the looks of it - it should be able to put up a tough fight in it's segment - though I still predict the E Class would walk over this in pure sales numbers.

Disappointing that the engine is limited to 180kmph though.

Hope you being sarcastic. :)

It's real competitors are the 3 series and C-Class. :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 4169546)
Bland styling, 0-100kmph: 8.5 s, badge engineered Camry Hybrid is asking for a close to ₹67L OTR: is India ready for this?? :0 :0 :0 You could probably have a Camry Hybrid and Fortuner/Crysta top end for this price!!

Given how successful Audi has been - I don't see why Lexus shouldn't succeed.
It's just a more premium brand, and honestly the interior ambience, etc. is a notch above Toyota.
Plus it is the only hybrid in it's segment at the moment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani7766 (Post 4169548)
How does the car compete internationally? I feel 55 lakhs ex showroom to be expensive. Only thing which would work in favour would be the Japanese reliability. The mileage is good. But the other cars have diesel options. So the running fuel costs would be the same per kilometer. Anyway, for a person buying car for such a price, mileage wouldn't be a big issue. I feel unless the price comes down the car wouldn't be sold in high numbers.

Japanese reliability, more legroom than the 5 series and A6, a hushed engine, and a soft ride.
With countries like Delhi etc. imposing bans on diesel vehicles above 2,000cc and allowing hybrids to be used everyday during the odd-even ban; it may have a few takers!
Plus Lexus has a decent amount of brand respect owing to the private SUV imports (LX series)/rebadged Landcruisers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4169556)
Hope you being sarcastic. :)

It's real competitors are the 3 series and C-Class. :uncontrol

In terms of global pricing - yes it competes with the 3 & C. But there, Toyota is a mass market vehicle and not a premium brand as it is in India.
But for us - it will not be the case. I was honestly expecting a price-tag around 60L.

I am back from a recent trip to Tokyo and happened to observe some Lexus vehicles from up close. Although the build quality is quite good, they just didn't seem that aspirational.

On the other hand, one look at the new Mercedes C-Class and you go weak in the knees. That I feel is the real difference between a Lexus and other luxury brands.

Having said that the only people who would buy this thing in my opinion, would be those who already have a C-class or a 3 -series in their garage, have experienced the German "thrills" of ownership and would prefer to have a machine that just runs and costs less to own, even though it isn't really a corner carver.

As for me, if I had 65 lacs to spend, never in my dreams would I buy this overpriced and ugly looking car!

I love the Lexus.
I use it often when in the UAE as a chauffeur driven car and/or through Uber.

It is super comfy, lots of legroom in the back seat, absolutely whisper quiet, very luxurious in its top spec avatar, with the panoramic sun roof and leather seats and trims etc. The leather seats and interior appointments are very easily on par with any of the big three Germans. No doubt about it at all.

Extremely well finished. Absolutely excellent attention to quality.

Truly a very very worthy competitor to the big three Germans!

And whats more?
It is super super reliable according to all the drivers whom I know who use this vehicle.

I think that for very high quality, predictable, super comfy reliable motoring, the Lexus is clearly a Top choice.

People who buy Lexus, buy it with their 'Heads' not their 'Hearts' to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson in Top Gear circa 1993-1994...

The top spec Lexus in Dubai costs about 200,000-250,000 AED as far as I believe, which is about 30-35 lacs or so.

Here in India sadly it is going to hit the buyer to the tune of some-65 lacs on road!

I had this as an Uber in Dubai (no less than twice in UberX which is the cheapest one) and it felt realy premium. I can't compare it with any other rivals on each point, but it definitely gives a special feeling , much better than a Camry ever will.

And if this Brand can maintain the Good A.S.S image of Toyota, I think this could be really popular. Because this would hit the Germans where they are the weakest, The A.S.S. and reliability.
I would love to see a BMW that doesn't do hydrostatic lock in a drizzle and a Merc that doesn't need 50k over a regular service. And I think the competition from Lexus could improve the situation in India

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4169600)
I love the Lexus.
I use it often when in the UAE as a chauffeur driven car and/or through Uber.

Unfortunately, in Dubai or most of Gulf countries, this is definitely considered an upscale taxi considering it has much of its roots to the Camry, although this generation has shifted to the toyota avalon platform.

Secondly, you got the pricing mixed up, the ES 350 non-hybrid closes out at 205,000AED and this one closes out at 175,000, which is around 30 lakhs.

The introductory pricing should have been between 40-45 lakhs at best, undercutting the best by a big margin and establishing the brand with a strong introductory pricing. Its also a hybrid and no added benefit of a lower price.

The other reason is this is already an end of life product ( launched in 2012), the next generation is around the corner. Also, its supposedly a premium car but it competes with most rear wheel drives utilizing front-wheel drive, has an output of only 200 bhp (I feel its too less for a hybrid).

The rear seats and fuel mileage are remarkable though.

How does Lexus price its vehicles in India? Is there some conversion rule?

The Lexus ES300h costs $41,820 in the US which is about Rs. 27,34,818

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES-hybrid

Its priced at Rs. 55.27L or about 2.02X the US Price.

Lexus RX 450h costs $53,035 in the US which is about Rs. 34,69,151.

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX-hybrid

Its priced at Rs. 1.07 Crore or about 3.08X the US Price.

Am I missing some thing here? Is the import duty for SUVs higher?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4169623)
How does Lexus price its vehicles in India? Is there some conversion rule?

Lexus will be bringing in these vehicles as CBU (Completely Built Unit), which are taxed 125%. So, naturally just the import duty will be a significant factor in the ex-showroom price.

Secondly, as prices of everything from the Hondas (Civic, CRV) to the BMWs have shown, prices in the US or even Middle East absolutely can't be used as a yardstick for how they are priced in India.

Personally, I feel the Lexus ES300h is too uninvolving to drive and is something that lacks aspirational value like the Germans or even the British marques like Jaguar. The CVT also has the same issues that all conventional CVTs have i.e. rubber band effect; though Lexus has managed to keep it at a minimum. What I personally like, having experienced the Lexus as well as its competitors is the quality of interiors. They are just impeccable. The rear leg room too is very good compared to its competitors. However, there are some bits like the central controller that feel they belong to another era. Where it is beaten hollow by everyone else though, is in the driving department.

In the UK, it has a starting price of £28k; roughly translating to around 23L in todays Rupee terms. Even after addition of import duties, the 55L price tag looks a tad bit expensive and placing it directly in competition to the E class and 5 series in India, when infact it is actually a 3 series, C class competitor abroad.

In simple terms, it is nothing more than a glorified Camry Hybrid and not worth the extra moolah IMHO!