Team-BHP - RC Book collection at the Mumbai RTO (in case you missed its delivery)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   RC Book collection at the Mumbai RTO (in case you missed its delivery) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/185773-rc-book-collection-mumbai-rto-case-you-missed-its-delivery.html)

If you bought a new car recently and missed out of the delivery of the RC book (because you were not at home when the postman arrived), then this is for you:

Step 1: PREP!
Before you visit the RTO, have the following with you. It’ll save you a lot of hassle and (additional) running around.
-Tax certificate and car invoice. I just carried my entire document folder to be safe.
-ID proof (PAN, Aadhar, Passport). Original + copy
-Address Proof copy (Aadhar, passport, phone bill, etc) This should have the same address as mentioned on your RC
- A Pen

Helpful Tip: Have a back up of all your important documents on you phone. In case you forget to carry your documents, you can always get them printed at the Xerox shop around the corner, as most of them now let you email them the file to get a print out.

Step 2: Visit the RTO
IMPORTANT: When I called up the Andheri West, Mumbai RTO, they told me that the RC collection can be done on Tuesdays or Fridays, between 10:30AM and 3PM. This is incorrect. The correct timings are 10:30AM to 2PM.

Step 3:
Head to the second floor and ask for the server room (I’m going to abbreviate this to SR). As soon as you're there, you'll realise that there is no concept of a que. So you will be required to wrestle your way to the window (it helps if you're tall) and let them know that you have an unclaimed RC. They’ll check the status and give you the date on which it was sent out from the RTO (or returned to the RTO - I’m not quite sure). Make a note of this date as this is important.

Step 4:
Head to ‘Window No. 7’ (I’m going to abbreviate this to W7) and tell them that you have an unclaimed RC. You’ll get a form, which you need to fill out. Of course, to make things cumbersome, the form is in Marathi. Fortunately, you can ask what's needed to be filled in. Information required is your name, license plate number and the date on which your RC was sent to your place. This is where you enter the date given to you at the SR. Submit that, along with an id proof copy. The person behind the counter will have a look and then ask you to check the status of the RC back at the SR.

Step 5:
Go back to the SR and check the status of the RC. Mine was “unclaimed RC”, which basically means that you missed out on collecting your RC when it was delivered to your address.

Step 6:
Armed with this information, head back to W7 and let the person behind the counter know. If you visit the RTO early, It should be possible to collect your RC on the same day. Unfortunately for me, I reached 5 minutes before it was shutting (I was misinformed about the timings on the phone) hence, I was asked to collect it the following Tuesday.

Step 7:
Go back to W7, submit the form (which they gave back to you), and someone will fetch the RC from a pile of unclaimed RCs on the desk behind them. Submit a copy of you ID and address proof (can be the same if you have something like a passport). They’ll sign it, attach a few more papers and ask you to deposit the fee.

Step 8:
Head to Window No. 17 (cashier) and deposit the fee. In this case it was Rs. 50. You’ll be handed a receipt that you need to submit at Window No. 8.

Step 9:
Hand over the entire lot of papers to the person at Window No. 8, sign against your name in the register and you will FINALLY be handed over your RC.

Step 10:
Keep that thing safe! And next time you buy a car, try and be home when the RC is delivered.

Now, for most RTO related issues, you can always get hold of an agent who’ll do it for you. However, I BELIEVE in this case, the owners themselves are required to collect it in person. (Although, I'm not a 100% certain on this)

Thread moved to the Indian Car Scene. Very useful, thanks for sharing!

Quick question: is this Mumbai-RTO specific? Things seem to be different in Pune.

I was recently in the same phase: bought a car in June '16 in Pune and hadn't received the RC until I was to step out of the country in Nov. Just before I left, I visited the RTO to check for the off chance that I had missed the RC delivery or that it had been misplaced.

While I was at the particular window where they tell you the status of your RC/DL delivery, there were several people alongside who were there either because they hadn't received the RC or their DL.

For anyone whose RC/DL was dispatched but not received, the guy at the counter asked them to go to the GPO. He mentioned that the RTO did not have any returned packages.

My wife missed her DL since she was out of the country as well; she was asked to go to the GPO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biohazard (Post 4175929)

Now, for most RTO related issues, you can always get hold of an agent who’ll do it for you. However, I BELIEVE in this case, the owners themselves are required to collect it in person. (Although, I'm not a 100% certain on this)

Thanks for the useful information.

I was in the same boat when I missed the delivery of my V-cross RC paper (there is no book nor a card, its just a sheet of paper). This was in December and after being busy most of the time and Lazy other times, I was not able to collect it till 20th March 2017.

I have an upcoming road trip in April to Uttarakhand and was not willing to wait for RC paper any more. I contacted my trusted agent who took a small fee from me and delivered my RC paper in less than 24 Hrs. I did get a phone call from RTO officer asking certain details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4176080)
Quick question: is this Mumbai-RTO specific? Things seem to be different in Pune.

I was recently in the same phase: bought a car in June '16 in Pune and hadn't received the RC until I was to step out of the country in Nov. Just before I left, I visited the RTO to check for the off chance that I had missed the RC delivery or that it had been misplaced.

While I was at the particular window where they tell you the status of your RC/DL delivery, there were several people alongside who were there either because they hadn't received the RC or their DL.

For anyone whose RC/DL was dispatched but not received, the guy at the counter asked them to go to the GPO. He mentioned that the RTO did not have any returned packages.

My wife missed her DL since she was out of the country as well; she was asked to go to the GPO.

Not sure how things are in Pune. This has actually happened with me twice (!), and both times I had to go to the RTO. I'd say the GPO option is better as they'll only ask you for an ID to confirm your identity and hand over the RC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazmaan (Post 4176112)
Thanks for the useful information.

I was in the same boat when I missed the delivery of my V-cross RC paper (there is no book nor a card, its just a sheet of paper). This was in December and after being busy most of the time and Lazy other times, I was not able to collect it till 20th March 2017.

I have an upcoming road trip in April to Uttarakhand and was not willing to wait for RC paper any more. I contacted my trusted agent who took a small fee from me and delivered my RC paper in less than 24 Hrs. I did get a phone call from RTO officer asking certain details.

I should have expected this. However, when I called up the RTO to ask them of I could go through an agent, they said it wasn't allowed (maybe it's not officially endorsed). Even at the window, when I asked if I could send someone with an authority letter, he said that the owner is required in person to collect it (again, must be the official stance, so maybe he had to say it).

Quote:

If you bought a new car recently and missed out of the delivery of the RC book (because you were not at home when the postman arrived), then this is for you:

Thanks a lot Sir,

This post couldn't have been at a better time as my RC book has still not arrived since my registration date was January 2017.

Very helpful post, I will go prepared as you have mentioned and will write my experience for the same.

Co incidentally today is Tuesday and hopefully I get the work done today with the help of your step by step guide.

I had one of my cars registered to my Nhava Sheva office address, but personal name ( to save Mumbai Octroi). At the time of RC card delivery, as I wasn't there, the postman refused to give it to my staff. But the next day, I went to the local post office with my ID proof and retrieved the Post parcel. Fortunately, the post office didn't ask for any address proof etc.
To save troubles arising out of such issues, I now have all the cars registered in my current residence and all RC Paper post parcels have been handed over to the Domestic helps by the Postman. And MH01 RTO is super efficient in sending the RC's. In both cases, I got mine within 15 days of delivery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riteshritesh (Post 4176210)
MH01 RTO is super efficient in sending the RC's. In both cases, I got mine within 15 days of delivery.

Unfortunately for me they haven't delivered the RC since 76 days.

Is the above procedure only done on Tuesdays or only the collection is done on Tuesday's ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great (Post 4176184)
Thanks a lot Sir,

This post couldn't have been at a better time as my RC book has still not arrived since my registration date was January 2017.

Very helpful post, I will go prepared as you have mentioned and will write my experience for the same.

Co incidentally today is Tuesday and hopefully I get the work done today with the help of your step by step guide.

Glad I could help :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great (Post 4176214)
Is the above procedure only done on Tuesdays or only the collection is done on Tuesday's ?

The procedure / collection happens only on Tuesdays and Fridays. If you go early enough, it's possible to get your RC on the same day.

Someone here mentioned that you can get an agent to do it for you as well. So if you're having difficulty finding the time to visit the RTO, you could go that route.

Quote:

Before you visit the RTO, have the following with you.

I think there are about 5 RTO offices in Mumbai. Could you guide to which RTO office are you talking about? All could be different in layout from what you have mentioned.

Regards-Sonu

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 4176246)
I think there are about 5 RTO offices in Mumbai. Could you guide to which RTO office are you talking about? All could be different in layout from what you have mentioned.

Regards-Sonu

Hey,

Sorry about that. This is for the Andheri West RTO.

I wanted to mention this right at the start, but I guess I forgot! Thanks for pointing it out. Also, could you help me figure out how to edit the title for this post? I'm still a newbie here and can't find the option to do this :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biohazard (Post 4176259)
Also, could you help me figure out how to edit the title for this post? I'm still a newbie here and can't find the option to do this :(

Pls use the REPORT POST symbol (WHITE TRIANGLE with an I) under your username column and the MODS will help you.

Regards-Sonu

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great (Post 4176214)
Unfortunately for me they haven't delivered the RC since 76 days.

I am sure, you must have missed the postman. 76 days is too long. My MH 01 CP was delivered in 12 days and MH 01 CH was delivered in 18 days. My pincode is 400028, if that helps.

If you are asking me about the collection, I collected from the post office at Township Dronagiri Post office as my address was of JNPT, Nhava Sheva ( MH46) the very next day after delivery was attempted.They keep it with them for around 7 days and then return it.

Usually dealers register the vehicle on our behalf. I must say more than 99% of the vehicles. When dealers do it, they don't need to mail it to customer and they give the RC to the dealer. This has been the case for each and every vehicle I/family/friends have purchased in Bangalore.

If a person is doing it on their own, only then such comes into picture. If they are doing on their own, they will as well know what to do if the RC got returned back to the RTO. The initial process of registering by self is more copmplicated

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkykar (Post 4177733)
Usually dealers register the vehicle on our behalf. I must say more than 99% of the vehicles. When dealers do it, they don't need to mail it to customer and they give the RC to the dealer. This has been the case for each and every vehicle I/family/friends have purchased in Bangalore.

If a person is doing it on their own, only then such comes into picture. If they are doing on their own, they will as well know what to do if the RC got returned back to the RTO. The initial process of registering by self is more copmplicated

In Mumbai, even when the dealer registers the car, the RC is delivered to the registered address and not given to the dealer by the RTO.

Quote:

Same happened with me. But thankfully MH03 RTO for personal cars is located at Poochkanwala Road, Worli and is relatively empty (:OTMH03 RTO for CV is at Wadala). The process is exactly similar to what you mentioned but since the RTO is empty, its a cakewalk.