Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2006, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Strategy behind colors

Hi Frens,
This query is more from a marketing/sales prespective...
I'm wondering why there's a lot of option with colors the moment a car is launched and the options will narrow down to some selling colors only after an year or two?
Lets take Hyundai Santro, which had many bright colors like the Green Shade, now it's not available. Lets consider Swift, i'm not sure if we still get the Garnet Orange color, but i dont see many orange swifts anymore. I recently saw a Kyara color Verna on the road, I found it not so interesting...
Why do Mfrs release cars with these colors in the first place, are they testing the market? the mindset of the people, or do they want to regulate the bookings to some effect? what is the strategy for mfrs in choosing colors for the cars and how do they proceed in establishing a color?
Your comments/feedback is greatly appreciated...
Old 1st November 2006, 17:54   #2
BHPian

they probably discontinue colours that dont do very well. It doesnt make sense for them to stock that paint if its not in demand at all... I dont think they would ever lose a customer because he/she didnt get the colour of their choice
Old 1st November 2006, 18:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
It doesnt make sense for them to stock that paint if its not in demand at all...
I agree with this. The car makers have to do the inventory management for the paints as well. That is why normally, cars with fast moving colors may be delivered within a shorter period and cars with other colors may take a longer delivery period and at times it may cost more also.
Old 1st November 2006, 21:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

yes i feel the same , blue innova didn't sell much so by now no more new blue color innovas getting sold. I saw one blue innova which is for sale but thinking since any paint job needed in future blue color might be costly affair for maintenance, i realized manufacturers close the colors which don't sell ..
Ravi.
Old 1st November 2006, 22:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a good topic indeed. The key to this "color strategy" adopted by manufacturers is Managing Expectations. By releasing selective colors alongwith inconsequential visual add-ons, the manufacturer efficiently regenerates the car's image without a cost to himself; thereby maximizing the longevity of a model. In India, Maruti has taken this to an art form, altho highly undesirable. For e.g. the bright yellow color is released when a current model's sales have hit a plateau, like they did on the Wagon R, before it was redone in its current avatar.

Bottomline, color management is an inexpensive yet effective ploy for a manufacturer to extend the longevity of a model; particularly in cost-senstive and developing markets like our own.
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:50   #6
BHPian

To initially get the people to buy the car , and impress them with the choice of their Color, the Car Cos. bring out more shades. Later on, once the Car Sales have gone good, and While some colors they feel are selling very less, they have to discontinue that in order to make way for more new colors, as in the Indian conditions, fancy colors are less prefered.
Old 3rd November 2006, 23:33   #7
BHPian

And Some cars are not available in some colours at all because it doen's go well with the car's image. I believe swift is not available in white, at least I have not seen one. Same way I have not seen a black M800.
Any body for Yellow or Orange Ambassador
Old 4th November 2006, 23:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

A few manufacturers are in the habit of 'holding back' a few select colours. The ikon intially didnt come in black or blazing red, but was later introduced.

Likewise, some colours are used by manufacturers only for anniversary or limited editions.
Old 4th November 2006, 23:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Getz here is readily available in 3 colours White, Real Earth n Bright silver......some nice colours like Charming grey n Scarlet Sage has a waiting period of 28days which forces ppl to buy from the available colours
Old 5th November 2006, 11:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce
Hi Frens,
This query is more from a marketing/sales prespective...
Lets consider Swift, i'm not sure if we still get the Garnet Orange color, but i dont see many orange swifts anymore.
Why do Mfrs release cars with these colors in the first place, are they testing the market? the mindset of the people, or do they want to regulate the bookings to some effect? what is the strategy for mfrs in choosing colors for the cars and how do they proceed in establishing a color?
Your comments/feedback is greatly appreciated...
swift is still available in the garnet orange shade .fastest selling colour is still the silver followed by the red.

manufacturers release colours based on general market "feel" and statistics. some colours do well in certain territories and others dont.

plus you are more likely to see the brightest colours inthe metros and a grade cities rather than in small towns .
Old 6th November 2006, 11:38   #11
BHPian

Thanks for comments friends!! Indeed people just dont like to take risks in buying a new color, I think that could be the reason why silver/red/black sell more than any other color...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks