Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 21:22   #121
BHPian

re: 2017 Skoda Octavia facelift spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Nothing on paper, but a lot of publications have been writing about the same. One of the leading publication even had it communicated in the Youtube video while doing a quick review of the new octavia, i will search that video and post it later.
Powerdrift mentioned that vRS is up for a launch in a few months. Publications have been talking about vRS since forever, and never a word from Skoda.

Moreover, vRS is attractive if Skoda launches with the right engines and not the 1.8 TSI with just the body trim.

I am on the fence about the 1.8 TSI because of the finicky DSG, and am hoping the vRS is launched with the upgraded engine and transmission.
A_v_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 07:10   #122
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia facelift launched at Rs. 15.49 lakh

What a car...!!! What engines...!!! Kudos to Skoda for sticking to great engines template. Personally, I like the new design. Earlier one was a classic but this one isn't off either.

1.8TSi available only with problematic DSG is a challenge. 1.4TSi Style pricing is high by around 70-80k - seemed to focus on converting people to 1.8 DSG Style one gets more powerful motor and awesome-shifting DSG just for 1 lac more. So, 1.4 Style is not meant to sell.

1.4TSi Ambition is the best bet - given its performance and feature tradeoff. Has more features that Elantra SX - barring a few exceptions. And a more joyous one to drive. Tough toss-up between SX and 1.4 Ambition for those on tight, relatively , budget given how D-segment prices have been shooting up.
5kmiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 07:18   #123
Senior - BHPian

I like the new face. It is atleast a little more funky than the plane old rectangular version. That said, everytime I see a new gen Octavia on the road, a part of me is saddened by how enormous these cars are getting. Simply too long in my opinion and I read somewhere that it is going to get even bigger in the next generation when will this ever stop? Even the 3 series just keeps getting bigger with every new generation. When will we get the taut lines of cars from a few generations ago?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 09:19   #124
BHPian

Trying to get my head around the following two figures

Octavia Style 1.4 TSI MT: Rs. 17.49 lakh
Octavia Style 1.8 TSI AT: Rs. 18.59 lakh

My perception is that in some cases,the DSG gearbox can turn out to problematic and the repair bills can easily run into a couple of lakhs.

But if we see the pricing above, the exact same variant in 1.4 TSI and 1.8 TSI has a price difference of just Rs 1.1 lakhs.

With this 1.1 lakh, we are getting a much powerful 1.8 lit engine, a DSG gearbox and a superior multilink rear suspension. If so what will be the price difference of a DSG gearbox with the manual one? 50k- 60k- 70k? I dont know. This is roughly the same price difference we see in cars with AMT gearboxes and their manual counterparts. But then why are the DSG repair bills running into many lakhs? Can any experts enlighten me on how this works?

Last edited by anish5225 : 14th July 2017 at 09:28.
anish5225 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 09:30   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish5225 View Post

But if we see the pricing above, the exact same variant in 1.4 TSI and 1.8 TSI has a price difference of just Rs 1.1 lakhs.

With this 1.1 lakh, we are getting a much powerful 1.8 lit engine, a DSG gearbox and a superior multilink rear suspension. If so what will be the actual price of a DSG gearbox? 50k- 60k- 70k? I dont know. But then why are the DSG repair bills running into many lakhs? Even if the entire gearbox is changed, it should work out to be much cheaper. Can any experts enlighten me on how this works?
Maybe Skoda wants folks to buy the 1.8TSI AT Style instead. Or they have goofed up on the pricing. They have a history of putting out wrong prices (and then changing silently) like with the Superb launch last year.

Skoda, why not a 1.8TSI MT Style instead of that 1.8TSI AT Style ?
Old 14th July 2017, 10:52   #126
Senior - BHPian

I like the new look and the Octavia is now on my shortlist in terms of cars to buy, once i decide whether i want a sedan or an SUV, it looks good and its good value for money , discounts will come soon which will make it even more affordable. As a previous owner of Skoda, not everything one hears about service and spares is true, my 1.6 Fabia did not give me any problems during the time i had her and the time si did need to deal with the service staff - it was fine, yes a little frustrating because they refer , or atleast used to refer everything back to a centralized support center resulting in delays but the effort from their side was there

Additionally we have 4 years warranty as well being offered now which should be a relief point for anyone worried about reliability.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:03   #127
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2017 Skoda Octavia facelift spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That said, everytime I see a new gen Octavia on the road, a part of me is saddened by how enormous these cars are getting.
IMHO, this size of sedan is just perfect as it gives you a spacious cabin, big boot & presence (over its smaller siblings). Any bigger and the size works against it. Cars like the Octavia & Jetta on winding roads are so much fun to drive. They're still 'big enough', but not bulky.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 11:12   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Powerdrift mentioned that vRS is up for a launch in a few months. Publications have been talking about vRS since forever, and never a word from Skoda.

Moreover, vRS is attractive if Skoda launches with the right engines and not the 1.8 TSI with just the body trim.

I am on the fence about the 1.8 TSI because of the finicky DSG, and am hoping the vRS is launched with the upgraded engine and transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
What a car...!!! What engines...!!! Kudos to Skoda for sticking to great engines template. Personally, I like the new design. Earlier one was a classic but this one isn't off either.

1.8TSi available only with problematic DSG is a challenge. 1.4TSi Style pricing is high by around 70-80k - seemed to focus on converting people to 1.8 DSG Style one gets more powerful motor and awesome-shifting DSG just for 1 lac more. So, 1.4 Style is not meant to sell.

1.4TSi Ambition is the best bet - given its performance and feature tradeoff. Has more features that Elantra SX - barring a few exceptions. And a more joyous one to drive. Tough toss-up between SX and 1.4 Ambition for those on tight, relatively , budget given how D-segment prices have been shooting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anish5225 View Post

My perception is that in some cases,the DSG gearbox can turn out to problematic and the repair bills can easily run into a couple of lakhs.

With this 1.1 lakh, we are getting a much powerful 1.8 lit engine, a DSG gearbox and a superior multilink rear suspension. If so what will be the price difference of a DSG gearbox with the manual one? 50k- 60k- 70k? I dont know. This is roughly the same price difference we see in cars with AMT gearboxes and their manual counterparts. But then why are the DSG repair bills running into many lakhs? Can any experts enlighten me on how this works?
I think the fact that they are giving a 4 year warranty should take out the DSG problem out of the equation. Second, not sure when we had a case of DSG failure reported last, i think it is way under control now.

1.8 TSI AT style is the way to go between the two cars, maybe the 1.4 will get phased out shortly.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:18   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Skoda, why not a 1.8TSI MT Style instead of that 1.8TSI AT Style ?
I suspect the ONLY reason is the potentially disastrous fuel economy for a 1.8 TSI manual. My TSI AT gives around 9.5 km/lt overall (long-term) and a manual will probably give around 7/8, and even less depending on how brutal one is with the right foot.

These kind of figures can murder a model's reputation in our cost-conscious world. Look at the V6 Accord: a international spec vehicle with a solid brand name, bulletproof reliability, stunning power but it tanked and always had miserable resale!

Us enthusiasts are few and far between :-(
Old 14th July 2017, 12:00   #130
BHPian

Re: 2017 Skoda Octavia facelift spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.49 lakh

I am so stoked with the 1.8TSI style plus model! The pune launch is on 15th at viraaj skoda's baner showroom. Anyone attending? I am planning to go. Considering I have pre-booked the car, I think I should at least take a look at it
On a side note though, I am really disappointed with the limited choice of colors. I had my heart set on a blue octy (looked great IMO). However, with only 4 color options, you are either left with a white which invokes taxi-ish vibes (or so the wife thinks), a black which will be murder to maintain, a silver or a dark blue. My current car is the dark blue one so that pretty much leaves only silver as a viable option. Why couldn't Skoda keep the earlier 6 colors on offer?
Old 14th July 2017, 12:20   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

On road prices in Chennai

1.8 TSI Style AT - 22.65 lakhs
1.8 TSI Style Plus AT - 25.42 lakhs

For a price difference of almost 3 lakhs, the only features of potential value I see in Style Plus are sunroof, park assist, navigation and push button start.

Now with Android Auto capabilities, Navigation can be enabled through phone in Style.

Would like some opinions from the forum on the relative value of Style Plus especially from resale perspective. Is it worth the premium?

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th July 2017 at 12:24.
Old 14th July 2017, 12:27   #132
BHPian

With unpredictable roads for outstation trips and parking hassles in city D segment cars are losing sales big time. With cheaper pseudo SUVs same fate awaits for C segment too.

For me too enthusiast craving for sleek beauties is dying else this would have been the car in my priority list. But now planning for a SUV for outstation trips and probably a GT would replace my Kizashi for local duties.
Old 14th July 2017, 13:38   #133
Senior - BHPian

Since the objective of GST was to remove the difference in taxes between the various states and have a ONE NATION ONE TAX rule, how come the Registration "TAX" got out of this and why are various states charging different taxes for registering a car?

Isn't Registration a service and doesn't it, therefore, come under Goods and SERVICES tax?

Although Skoda announced one nation one price, in reality it's different prices for different states.
Old 14th July 2017, 14:35   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I think the fact that they are giving a 4 year warranty should take out the DSG problem out of the equation. Second, not sure when we had a case of DSG failure reported last, i think it is way under control now.

1.8 TSI AT style is the way to go between the two cars, maybe the 1.4 will get phased out shortly.
I would expect the 1.4 will be here to stay, and surprised they have retained the 1.8 given Audi, VW, etc. don't have the 1.8 in their line up (A3, A4, Jetta, etc.).

Yes, DSG cases have reduced for the TSi over the years - but a couple of members still have faced issues in their Octavia 1.8's.

The four year warranty is a great move, but after four years what happens? And how many are willing to take the risk given the notorious gearbox?
It would have been great if they also start offering extended warranty and and maintenance packages for 6 years similar to Mercedes and BMW.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 15:03   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

Although Skoda announced one nation one price, in reality it's different prices for different states.
From what we have seen with other vehicles, even the ex-showroom prices are not consistent across all states. Skoda is referring to the ex-showroom prices as "One Nation, One Tax".
Closed Thread

Most Viewed