Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2017, 23:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 Skoda Octavia facelift spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.49 lakh

Mod Note: Our Octavia Facelift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Team,

Here's another Team-BHP exclusive: - the 2017 Skoda Octavia facelift has been spotted on a testing run for the very first time on Indian soil near Aurangabad.

2017 Skoda Octavia facelift spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.49 lakh-octyw.jpg

Credit to my good friend Dnyaneshwar Lahane for taking this snap.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2017 at 17:25. Reason: Linking to review :)
RavenAvi is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 12:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 2017 Skoda Octavia facelift spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.49 lakh

Note from Mod: Post moved to its own thread. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 14:54   #3
BHPian

re: 2017 Skoda Octavia facelift spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.49 lakh

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2017 at 12:50.
RPM1500 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th April 2017, 15:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Funky isn't the F word I'd use to describe it really. The pre-facelift car was pretty much peak Octavia, and now they've taken something that didn't need fixing and broke it. They've taken Merc's split headlight design from the E at a time when Merc themselves have abandoned the look and gone younger with their design. I'm sure there'll be a ton of techno-wizardry on offer with this Octavia, but man, head-on that car is just a bit ugly.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th April 2017 at 13:47. Reason: Minor edit.
iliketurtles is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 15:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think the car looks better on the road than in pictures. I have seen a few of them, first time was when one showed up on my RVM. I drive the pre-facelift Octavia, and I don't think the new one looks any better or worse than my car.
StarrySky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 15:40   #6
BHPian

Yup!!!! What Skoda did with the Octavia was pretty questionable. But to be honest the new headlight design made it a little more distinguished from the rest of the VAG family and, in my opinion, made it look a little bit more "mature", if that's a word I can use.

Well we should not forget the main demographic to which Skoda serves in Europe. These are generally people in their 30s or maybe even older and I don't think that those people would mind their Skoda to look a little more "mature" as long as it's got the practicality for which they bought a "Skoda" in first place.

The real problem would only arise when the missus would exclaim that "Honey!!! The baby carrier isn't fitting in the boot!!!!!"
thatfastdude19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 16:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the car looks better on the road than in pictures.
Exactly my thoughts. Cursed Skoda the first time I saw the pics. But some Youtube videos have actually helped me calm down. Quite liked the new look from certain angles. Also, it looks unique. It's not everyday that you see a car with a quad light setup (barring the Mercs of course).

I had visited Pinnacle Skoda Calicut a few months back to check out the Octavia. Mr Salil, the sales executive, told me to wait for the facelift due to be launched in August. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.
Old 21st April 2017, 00:27   #8
BHPian

In terms of looking at it from the point of view of looks, subjectively i guess the old gen looks much more cleaner and mature than the current one. Are they looking to replicate the headlights with the old E class? Maybe buyers might connect with this one as a luxury sedan of that value and price it higher?

The Germans have managed to scale up the prices of models very tactfully so expecting this one to cross 30L on road which i think will be bit of a stretch.
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 10:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
In terms of looking at it from the point of view of looks, subjectively i guess the old gen looks much more cleaner and mature than the current one. Are they looking to replicate the headlights with the old E class? Maybe buyers might connect with this one as a luxury sedan of that value and price it higher?

The Germans have managed to scale up the prices of models very tactfully so expecting this one to cross 30L on road which i think will be bit of a stretch.
I agree. I think what VAG's strategy in India would be, keep increasing prices of premium sedans (Octy, Superb, Passat, Jetta[if it will be ever launched]) & price their upcoming SUVs (Tiguan & Kodiaq) competitively to cater majority buyers of 22-40L segments. A few people who prefer driving dynamics of sedan (read European sedans) over SUVs & want maximum bang for buck will pick Octy, Superb, Passat or Jetta anyway because even after the increased prices, they will still be VFM compared to the big three Germans.
Old 21st April 2017, 14:54   #10
BHPian

Can't comment on the looks from this photo yet. But yes the split headlights is bound to polarize. One thing I was dreading was whether they would retire the 1.8 TSI and go the Audi way with the puny 1.4, which seems not to be the case. That way it still a good value for money.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 15:38   #11
BHPian

commenting just by looking at a pic will not give a fair share to what could be a good car in times to come. I want to know what is under the hood. I still remember that Donkey incident with an Octavia owner going viral on social media for issues with stereo, suspension, battery and what not. Let us see how improved they are in terms of their product quality and ASS.
Old 21st April 2017, 17:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Can't comment on the looks from this photo yet. But yes the split headlights is bound to polarize. One thing I was dreading was whether they would retire the 1.8 TSI and go the Audi way with the puny 1.4, which seems not to be the case. That way it still a good value for money.
In UK, they only have 1.4TSI currently (also with pre-facelift 1.8 TSI appeared a year or two later). But at this site, you can still see 1.8TSI

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/...terLiteWebPart

The issue is unless 1.8TSI is available in RHD, we can't get it in India. The hope is that it is available by launch.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:53   #13
BHPian

The new look is certainly not for me. I drive the current generation and still prefer it's looks to the face-lifted version. Don't expect to see much changes on the inside except a few cosmetic ones. I think the engine options will remain the same. I did read some rumours of the VRS coming to India sometime back and that might just help generate more interest in the Octavia. Otherwise, this is just a face-lift to refresh things a little. I don't think it will make much difference to the sales figures.
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:09   #14
BHPian

Ugly ugly ugly!! The old Octavia in the 1.8L Avatar was really a wolf in sheep's clothing. The new one, if its a 1.4 tsi (very likely as vag is phasing out the 1.8 engines), would be a sheep in ogre clothing!

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th April 2017 at 13:48. Reason: Minor edit, keeping language in mind. Thanks.
vinj14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 23:12   #15
BHPian

I wasn't too sure about the new design until I came across this video. There's a scene of the new one lying next to the old one. And when the hazard lights are on, it does look pretty sick! Hoping to see in person ASAP. My sales guy has hinted at a July launch.

GKR9900 is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks