Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 09:23   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Sunny prices revised, now starts at Rs. 6.99 lakh

With this price cut, it looks like Nissan is getting serious about app-based taxi segment. I have also noticed that 3/4 star hotels and resorts usually pick up their customers in an Etios.

Thanks to extra legroom and overall length of the car (when compared to Etios), it "looks" like a car belonging to a higher segment. I think the customers will bite. Let's watch the monthly sales numbers!
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:00   #17
BANNED

I don't think the price cut would make any difference to sales chart. Nissan products would sell as they are for last few years fighting with Fiat on number of sales.

The products were excellent when they launched. I think after Renault acquisition of Nissan and resurrect of Datsun, Nissan itself is confused where it belongs. It is no more a ultra premium car brand of bygone era (Nissan Teana and X-trail, all imports as sole products), not even a premium car brand as it is being overtaken by Renault nor even mass market (again taken over by Renault) not an el cheapo car maker as that the Datsun is for.
Dragging along with Micra and Sunny, then creating Micra active to diminish the brand value of a quality product to nothing and not a single value increment to the Sunny, I think whether they are here only for the export.

After lunch of Sunny till now the company has just slept, they neither invested in new product or upgrade the existing line up nor on service and sales area.

I am a happy customer of Nissan Micra original version, which was a nice machine against being constantly bashed and ridiculed by public for its look. The quality of the product is far superior than assumed, not a single part failure or rattle along all these 6 years, even the plastic shines are still as new.

The only pain is the service, which is bad, while I was in Bangalore the only service center was 27 KM away and now in Pune it is 30 KM. I feels even Fiat service should have been much better than Nissan. I sometimes think, where people are worried about Chevrolet's exit, may be they have more service centers than Nissan.

So as a happy Nissan customer, even after price drop and some proper facelift, should I renew my product to another Nissan? Never. Reason, Owning a car is also comes with bundled service and with a Nissan it is denied.

So unless they revive their service and sells quality, price drops or feature additions are all be flogging the dead horse .

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2017 at 13:07. Reason: Post edited. Several typos. Please proof-read your posts before submitting. Thanks.
PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:33   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dealers were offering fat discounts anyway, so this is just officially announcing the street price. It wasn't uncommon to hear of someone picking up a Sunny for a lakh off the MRP.

She's a fantastic sedan, as you can see in my ownership report - link. Excellent durability, fantastic engine, loads of space, a big boot and compliant ride quality.

Still not a model I'd recommend to any new car buyer though, because of Nissan's dreadful sales & service experiences.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:44   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Still not a model I'd recommend to any new car buyer though, because of Nissan's dreadful sales & service experiences.
I have the same car (Scala) but with a Renault badge, but my service experience hasn't been that bad to be honest, thanks to the popularity of car's like Duster & mass market Kwid which joined the Renault stable
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 14:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I wish that if I could have read it as "Nissan reduced the smoke of Sunny". The vehicle was still under run in period but he had a concern with smoke emitted by the new vehicle. The smoke had left a black matt finish on the rear bumper. I seriously feel that Renault's K9K diesel engine should be re-tested in India to see if it meets the BS-4 norms.
had seen a brand new sunny (with ribbons) emitting black smoke like crazy in b2b bangalore traffic. Poor cabbie was bad mouthed for no mistake of his!
Sri Vathsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 14:53   #21
BHPian

Very attractive option and absolute VFM. But sadly the sparse dealer/service network of Nissan would still scare away a lot of potential buyers.

Also, why such a move by Nissan?? Clear the stockyards??
Old 21st April 2017, 14:58   #22
BHPian

Very attractive option indeed. But why they haven't reduced the price of "XV Safety Diesel", Old Price: Rs 10,82,011 New Price: Rs 10,76,011 (Source: Autocar India)
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:58   #23
BHPian

While the prices post reduction are very attractive, the reasons should definitely looked into. Honda Jazz V CVT is 8.52 ex-showroom and Nissan Sunny XV CVT is 9.15 ex-showroom, Bangalore. Very close call, If a person doesn't mind about the length of the Car and has no parking problems either at house or at office.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I have the same car (Scala) but with a Renault badge, but my service experience hasn't been that bad to be honest, thanks to the popularity of car's like Duster & mass market Kwid which joined the Renault stable
Yes, even my Scala did excellent service obeying every harsh order for the past 5 years. Its been only the wear n tear replacements albeit after crossing 80K. I'm now at 1.1L+ Km self driven all the way and had very few issues with Renault service,Hyderabad. Thanks to their Kwid, which made them increase the number of dealers and service centres.
Only wish Renault/Nissan concentrated a bit more on this car, which would have given them lot more market success. Just bad marketing.
At the moment, can't recommend it to anyone, simply because, the fear of non availability of spares 2 years down the lane.
Don't know about nissan guys, but Renault doesn't even consider they have this car in their portfolio. Its either Kwid, Duster or Lodgy in the order of preference they keep pushing the sales.
Won't be surprised if its the last lot of clearance job being done.
nagateja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 17:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn. That is a massive price cut. Problem is it might have come a little too late. The brand has got a lot of negative vibes all around it now and it would be difficult to get out of it now. But if a customer really is smart enough, then I would buy the Sunny with eyes closed at that price. It becomes a no brainer of sorts at that price competing with the other compact sedans.
Old 22nd April 2017, 19:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Nissan claims that this price cut is a result of increased levels of localisation
So finally Nissan managed to do massive localization and cost reduction over night and passing the benefits to customers
Localization should have started during pre-facelift but Nissan increased the price of facelift around 50k for very minor modification and HU change. What Nissan did is increased the price 3 years ago and reducing it now. Net price cut I see is around 40k only.
Old 24th April 2017, 11:24   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
had seen a brand new sunny (with ribbons) emitting black smoke like crazy in b2b bangalore traffic.
Don't want to take the thread anymore off-topic, but my Sunny with over 50,000+ km doesn't emit black smoke, and there are many Logans / Dusters etc. running the same engine without issue. The cases reported could be due to a variety of factors (bad fuel, poor maintenance).
Old 9th March 2019, 02:15   #28
BHPian

https://www.cartoq.com/nissan-sunny-cvt-automatic/

At 8.58 Lakh Ex Showroom, the CVT looks like a good option now.
pseudo_coder is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 08:50   #29
BHPian

The Sunny may not see too much local sales after the initial boom, but it and the Micra have been the bread and butter exports for Nissan India. It's only because of the 4m rule that the bigger sedans have been so much more expensive and lacking in features compared to the mini SUVs. I had considered the Sunny and Scala extensively when I bought my last car, and was sorely tempted to take the 2 lac discount they were offering on a showroom display car (10 lacs effective price). It was the XV diesel with leather seats which cost more than 12 lacs new at the time.

I think this is a great deal and a better option for buyers than a compact sedan. I also think this is the right move for Nissan rather than developing an all new compact sedan that will never sell in good enough numbers to make up for the development cost, as Maruti has that market locked up with the Dzire.

Renault/Nissan's weak point has been service. I have spoken with many owners and few of them have given a good opinion about the service experience. If Nissan is really serious about the Indian market, they should really amp up their service game, which is pathetic and holding them back big time.

The Sunny is a solid product which gives a much more solid feel than any compact sedan. The Petrol automatic is an absolute bargain at this price. The convenience of the automatic should make up for the increased length in traffic, IMO.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed