Team-BHP - Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Analysis: Which is the most popular variant? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/186326-analysis-most-popular-variant.html)

PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD:

To figure out customer preferences for all the popular cars on sale - petrol or diesel? Base, mid or top variant? Manual or automatic?

HOW?

We do have some idea about popularity of certain variants - for example, when we see a Swift on the road, it is most likely to be a Vxi or Vdi implying that mid-variants constitute majority of the sales. We do see a decent number of Zxi and Zdi's too, but spotting a base variant on the road is quite rare. But manufacturers don't bother publishing these numbers.

So I have come up with a round-about way of determining the popularity of each variant - by analysing listings on popular online used car classifieds. Logic being that the proportion of base/mid/top variants in the used car market will be nearly same as the proportion of NEW base/mid/top variants sold. To make the job easier (for me), some online classifieds insist on mentioning the variant name in the title of the ad. Thanks to CTRL+F feature and chrome browser counting the number of instances, it is not too difficult to find the proportion of different variants on sale.

Note that data is collected from multiple online classifieds. As a bonus, we also get to know petrol/diesel and manual/automatic sales mix for each model - thanks to filters available on such sites.

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-carwale.jpg

BUT HOW ACCURATE IS THIS DATA?

The accuracy is likely to be lower than that of an "exit poll". Remember that my sample size for each car model is quite small - between 100 and 500 cars, depending on availability in the used car market. 'Sampling error' is likely too - most of the cars are from Tier I cities (capitals of each State) because customers/brokers are comfortable using online classifieds. Customer variant preferences of Tier II/III cities could be different from Tier I cities, and cannot be effectively captured using this method.

Interestingly, (NCR + Mumbai + Bangalore) has a new car sales market share of 22%. But on online classifieds, around 35% car listings are from these 3 cities. Bigger cities might see a larger proportion of automatic or CNG variant sales when compared to smaller towns, and this is likely to mess up our numbers a bit.

I have attempted to capture the latest trends (shift to automatics, shift from diesel to CNG or petrol) by sampling 0 to 2/3 year old cars. On the flipside, this has resulted in a smaller sample size. However, for some models which did not exactly set the sales charts on fire, I have considered the cumulative sales (since introduction year)

HOW MANY MAN HOURS WERE SPENT COLLECTING THIS DATA?

Not much. But then, there were other issues -

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-photo.jpg

INDEX:

Suzuki Alto 800 and Suzuki Alto K10
Suzuki Wagon R & Suzuki Celerio
Suzuki Swift & Hyundai Grand i10
Hyundai Elite i20 & Honda Jazz
Suzuki DZire & Tata Zest
Suzuki Ciaz & Honda City
Ford Ecosport & Hyundai Creta
Mahindra XUV500 and Renault Duster
Suzuki Ertiga & Toyota Innova
Toyota Fortuner
Audi, BMW & Mercedes

SUZUKI ALTO 800/K10:

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-800k10.jpg

Comments:

SUZUKI WAGON R

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-wagonrsales.jpg

Comments:

SUZUKI CELERIO

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-celerio_variants.jpg

Comments:

SUZUKI SWIFT

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-swift_variants.jpg

Comments:

HYUNDAI GRAND I10

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-grandi10.jpg

Comments:

HYUNDAI ELITE I20

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-i20variants.jpg

Comments:

HONDA JAZZ

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-jazzvariants.jpg

Comments:

SUZUKI DZIRE

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-dzirevariants.jpg

Comments:

TATA ZEST

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-tatazest.jpg

Comments:

SUZUKI CIAZ

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-suzukiciaz.jpg

Comments:

HONDA CITY

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-hondacity.jpg

Comments:

FORD ECOSPORT

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-fordecosport.jpg

Comments:

HYUNDAI CRETA

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-hyundaicreta.jpg

Comments:

MAHINDRA XUV500

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-xuv500.jpg

Comments:

RENAULT DUSTER

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-renaultduster.jpg

Comments:

SUZUKI ERTIGA

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-suzukiertiga.jpg

Comments:

TOYOTA INNOVA (1st GEN)

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-iinnova.jpg

Comments:

TOYOTA FORTUNER (1st GEN)

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-fortuner.jpg

Comments:

AUDI, BMW & MERCEDES

Forced to take a different approach here. It is impossible to analyze variants of each model because of sample size issues. Instead, we take a look at customer preferences across different models!

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-audi.jpg

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-bmw.jpg

Analysis: Which is the most popular variant?-merc.jpg

Comments:

AND FINALLY:

BHPians, once you decide on a brand/model, which variant (base? mid? top end?) do you usually pick up and why? Go back into flashback mode and let us know how you zeroed in on a particular variant of your current ride. I guess for many, a particular car's features list is the main reason for picking it up. So it is likely that variants of different models are already shortlisted at the beginning.

I always look to buy the top variant, because it usually has features that cannot be fitted later (like power folding mirrors, automatic climate control, keyless entry etc). However, I might pick up a mid-variant in AT guise because automatics are usually not available in top trim.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much for sharing this, I used to think about this a lot and get confused, for me seeing the cars on the road and going by the waiting period of the variants I could make a fair analysis on which variant was selling more, however, this thread is now going to be the last word. Voted for VXi and was surprised to see that others had voted for ZXi. Again confirms that the majority of us are 'different'