Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2017, 12:17   #466
Team-BHP Support

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jeep Compass UK review ( 9 Speed auto variant) - not impressive enough!
Small correction, if you read that sentence fully. It says the Compass has its work cut out against the likes of Seat Ateca and Peogeout 3008, but the right spec at the right price could actually compete against the Qashqai and the VW Tiguan at the second tier of the compact SUV segment.

Given the fact that Tiguan is priced way higher in India, and the Compass is rumored to be priced cheaper than the Tucson, which is the value offering for its price in the UK - I doubt if this verdict holds good for the Indian market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 12:22   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Some notable detailed shots of the Compass:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4781.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4607.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4608.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4612.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4616.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4621.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4633.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4635.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassinterior4.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassinteriordoors.jpg

Complete Gallery @ Shifting Gears
RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 12:29   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think they have equipped it to be functional enough. Surely not loaded like what you expect from a premium offering. And I guess there in lies the salvation to pricing.
Indeed. Jeep has certainly got the basics right, at least that's what the reviews say. For enthusiasts like us, things like steering feedback, well sorted suspension, robust build quality are things that take precedence over auto headlamps, 3 zone climate control, memory seats etc. But I'm not too sure with the general public who usually go with paper specs and word of mouth. The fact that Jeep isn't that well known a brand in the mind of an average Indian is also to be considered. I really hope and pray that Jeep considers all this and make an offer that's hard to resist!
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 13:09   #469
BHPian

Is it only me or the Suzuki Brezza looks like the younger brother of the Jeep Compass? Be it the side profile or front grill slats. Maybe Brezza designers took some inspiration and didn't have a clue that the compass would be launched in India in the near future. But Compass looks perfect for what it is in terms of size and power. Under cutting every competitor in its segment by offering a base model which doesnt have certain basic features is not really undercutting. Steel rims, no leather seats, no reverse parking sensors etc. etc. Not good.
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 13:21   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
For enthusiasts like us, things like steering feedback, well sorted suspension, robust build quality are things that take precedence over auto headlamps, 3 zone climate control, memory seats etc. But I'm not too sure with the general public who usually go with paper specs and word of mouth.
I respect your point of view, however I consider myself the general public and would definitely expect at least some of these features; if not all. Especially when I am going to spend about 20L. Personally I want to buy a car that's future proof. Which means that I should not wish I HAD bought another car after a few years. The question always is how much extra you can pay for these additional features. I am comfortable with it - others might not be.
Old 16th June 2017, 14:09   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
I respect your point of view, however I consider myself the general public and would definitely expect at least some of these features; if not all. Especially when I am going to spend about 20L. Personally I want to buy a car that's future proof.
Exactly the point I have been trying to make. The base version is too barebones. No fog light, no projector lamps. steel wheels, 5 in touchscreen etc in a 20lakh vehicle (OTR) may not be acceptable to general public. The absence of these may take away the premium look from the vehicle.

Absence of auto headlamp, rain sensing wiper, electrically adjustable seats may still be fine with general public IMHO.
Old 16th June 2017, 14:22   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Indeed. Jeep has certainly got the basics right, at least that's what the reviews say. For enthusiasts like us, things like steering feedback, well sorted suspension, robust build quality are things that take precedence over auto headlamps, 3 zone climate control, memory seats etc. But I'm not too sure with the general public who usually go with paper specs and word of mouth. The fact that Jeep isn't that well known a brand in the mind of an average Indian is also to be considered. I really hope and pray that Jeep considers all this and make an offer that's hard to resist!
There is the Hyundai way where you get all the comfort features (rain-sensing wipers, auto-headlamps etc.) in all variants, but if you want 6 airbags or ESC only option is to get the top end, which is quite a shame especially on the higher segments where the base variant itself will cost 25-30lakhs on road (e.g.; Tucson, Santa FE). And even then the aforementioned models did not manage to make an impact in the market. On the other hand, a car with solid mechanicals and reasonable pricing (and SUV looks) can lighten up the market, even if it’s from an unknown entity – Renault was quite an unknown entity before the Duster happened. The Compass has that kind of potential in a segment above, that too with a much better package overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
Exactly the point I have been trying to make. The base version is too barebones. No fog light, no projector lamps. steel wheels, 5 in touchscreen etc in a 20lakh vehicle (OTR) may not be acceptable to general public. The absence of these may take away the premium look from the vehicle.
A base version like that is not a bad thing IMO. Nobody may even buy that, but will help the brand to really play with a tantalizing price tag.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 14:33   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
A base version like that is not a bad thing IMO. Nobody may even buy that, but will help the brand to really play with a tantalizing price tag.
Petrol heads may not have any option other than to shell out additional 5-6 lakhs if they want all of these as there is no loaded front wheel drive version. How many of general public looking at buying a premium petrol SUV would go for 4WD SUV which he/she may not even use. There has to be a premium looking loaded mid variant without 4WD.

Hopefully Jeep is looking at it and consider launching Petrol in Longitude variant as well.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th June 2017 at 15:04. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 16th June 2017, 14:51   #474
BHPian

I wouldn't really mind missing out on the sunroof and other features IF the base variant has the same safety measures as the other ones. I think we underestimate the importance of having safety as a standard rather than as a premium. Personally feel Jeep has got it spot on, on having the cool features as a premium and safety as a standard unlike the other way around for a lot of manufacturers.

On a side note had hoped that the memory seats make a way.
Old 16th June 2017, 16:16   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Given the fact that Tiguan is priced way higher in India, and the Compass is rumored to be priced cheaper than the Tucson, which is the value offering for its price in the UK - I doubt if this verdict holds good for the Indian market.
I am not sure the statement about the Tiguan being priced way higher than the Compass is really true. In fact I think this is definitely not a true impression, if you take into account the sheer value of the added features in the Tiguan.

It is true that VW made a lot of blunders here:

1. Launched the Tiguan with prices set prior to GST rate announcement for automobiles. They could have delayed the launch by a month and launched at post GST lower prices. The impression is stuck to everyone's minds that it is too expensive.
2. VW did not also launch the Trendline trim. They could have done away with a some features from the mid trim (Comfortline) - like Full LED headlamps, Cruise Control, Auto transmission etc. to compete on even ground with the Compass Limited 4X4.
3. VW did not do enough to differentiate the added features of the Tiguan even in the comparable Comfortline trim vis-a-vis the top trim of the Jeep Compass.

Let me explain the last point:

As such the Tiguan Comfortline trim which is much better equipped than the top end Jeep Compass 4X4 may be priced around 26 Lacs ex-showroom after GST price cuts. This is only 1 Lac or so more than the Jeep Compass top end manual 4X4 which is estimated to cost Rs. 25 Lacs ex-showroom. For the extra 1 Lac, Tiguan offers a lot more value such as:

a. Full LED Headlamps
b. 7 speed DSG automatic transmission
c. Steering mounted paddle shifters
d. Cruise control (instead of dummy buttons on the Compass)
e. 8 inch touchscreen (compared to 7 inch in Jeep Compass)
f. Triple zone climate control (instead of dual zone in the Compass)
g. Sliding and recline-adjustable rear seats and memory function for Driver seat (not sure if these two are available in the Compass).

I think the Tiguan has a better engine and transmission - even if the horsepower and torque ratings on paper is lower for the Tiguan it goes from 0-100 in 9.3 seconds versus approximately 10 seconds that the Compass is estimated to take. Last but not the least, the Tiguan has a more modern and special looking interior layout.

I think these features of the Tiguan Comfortline are worth more like Rs. 3-4 lacs to me, so even if Jeep prices top end Diesel 4X4 Compass at 22-23 Lacs ex-showroom, Tiguan Comfortline is still better value to me, provided VW passe on GST benefits fully.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th June 2017 at 16:36.
84.monsoon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 16:37   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I am not sure the statement about the Tiguan being priced way higher than the Compass is really true.
I think you have not been following the thread closely enough. It is highly likely Compass will be positioned as a C segment SUV as opposed to Tiguan which seems benchmarked against the Mercs and Beemers (that warrants a different discussion and there is little evident to Tiguan's success yet). Even before you get to the features, Compass is a significantly smaller vehicle compared to Tiguan. Also Tiguan Ex-Showroom starts at 28 lakhs for stick shift and not 26. So your price gap assumption is already 5-6 lakhs and not 3-4 lakhs. There are other considerations too. And speculations on Compass price are all over the place. No prizes for guessing. And lastly, price overlaps are not new to neighbouring segments. Fully loaded Honda City nearly overlaps with entry level Octavia etc.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 16th June 2017 at 16:41.
bhaskaracs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 16:38   #477
BHPian

Quote:

I think these features of the Tiguan Comfortline are worth more like Rs. 3-4 lacs to me, so even if Jeep prices top end Diesel 4X4 Compass at 22-23 Lacs ex-showroom, Tiguan Comfortline is still better value to me, provided VW passe on GST benefits fully.
Don't miss the potential 1.5-2 lacs discount on Tiguan after an year of launch
reddevilgautam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 18:20   #478

I think the USP of the compass is its levels of localization. This will translate to cheaper spares which are part of a car's maintenance costs.

I'm sure bits made in India will be cheaper than imported parts seen in VW's and the like.

This itself makes the car all the more appealing. We should support manufacturers who decide to make India a key hub for export instead of assembling a cheap version of the car here (duster airbag debacle).

Granted Jeep themselves are doing this. Maybe Jeep's marketing has got to me, but I am unaware of any other (non-Indian) car manufacturer who have chosen our country as a key export base.
Mechano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 18:30   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a. Full LED Headlamps
Excellent over halogens and halogen projectors. But over HID projectors? Not sure if it's worth more than 20-30k premium. The lighting won't see a day night difference between these for sure.

Quote:
b. 7 speed DSG automatic transmission
c. Steering mounted paddle shifters
True. Jeep might be charging another 1 - 1.5L premium over the manual top end when the 9 speed AT gets launched.

Quote:
d. Cruise control (instead of dummy buttons on the Compass)
True. Biggest miss IMO, including those dummy buttons left out for these controls. But based on spy shots, this should be covered in the AT.

Quote:
e. 8 inch touchscreen (compared to 7 inch in Jeep Compass)
f. Triple zone climate control (instead of dual zone in the Compass)
g. Sliding and recline-adjustable rear seats and memory function for Driver seat (not sure if these two are available in the Compass).
Not sure on the availability, but none of these are deal breakers for me.

Quote:
I think the Tiguan has a better engine and transmission - even if the horsepower and torque ratings on paper is lower for the Tiguan it goes from 0-100 in 9.3 seconds versus approximately 10 seconds that the Compass is estimated to take.
Source?

I tried searching for this, but didn't get any results, both for Indian Tiguan or Compass. On paper, the Jeep has 27hp and 10Nm more. Not sure of the weight differences. Tiguan is not so light either, like other VW cars with a 1.7 ton weight figure.

Quote:
Last but not the least, the Tiguan has a more modern and special looking interior layout.
Subjective, but I find it to be a big Polo. Excellent build yes, but no flair. Even the steering looks straight out of Polo. That said, it's still better than the Jeep I feel, primarily because of my hatred for dummy buttons.

Now, coming to the basic factors, which of the below known basics does Tiguan do better?
Steering?
Power?
Ride quality?
Handling?
Ground clearance / Off road abilities?

Will need to wait for respective Team-Bhp reviews, but based on the current reviews available, Jeep seems to have the upper hand.

I do get your point though. About the Tiguan being a better proposition in the eyes of a modern car buyer. But a 3-4L premium that you expect to pay for the Tiguan will be 5-6L on road - which is significant. And if anyone is spending that sort of money, I see 9/10 of them thinking about spending another 5-6L and getting themselves a proper luxury German instead.

Jeep better learn from the failures of Tucson and (I predict) Tiguan and price the Compass right from Day 1.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 20:08   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think the Tiguan has a better engine and transmission - even if the horsepower and torque ratings on paper is lower for the Tiguan it goes from 0-100 in 9.3 seconds versus approximately 10 seconds that the Compass is estimated to take.

Source?

I tried searching for this, but didn't get any results, both for Indian Tiguan or Compass. On paper, the Jeep has 27hp and 10Nm more. Not sure of the weight differences. Tiguan is not so light either, like other VW cars with a 1.7 ton weight figure.
One reason could be that the whp figures of VW are generally the closest to the quoted bhp figures as compared to other manufacturers.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 16th June 2017 at 20:10.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed