Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:21   #1606
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please share your test-drive observations here (as detailed as possible), so that it helps others .

Thank you.
Ring the Bell:
Watching the timing of price announcement on FB. The start was delayed from 11:30 am to 12:00 pm to 12:30 pm when the prices were finally announced.

The pricing was great and it pulled at my heart strings, though my initial review on sizing still holds true.

Schedule of TD:
After the pricing announcement, I called sales guy asked him to bring vehicle home for personal reason, which was accepted after sales guy's follow-up with his management.

TD View:
Very short drive, please note this is my personal observation and view.

Vehicle was brought on time - it was Longitude(O) variant, I asked my wife to look at vehicle till the time I reached home in Bangalore traffic 4pm, 03-Aug-2017.

Straight into driver seat, all seated, took short drive inside my apartment and 4 kms drive on inside and straight roads.

Positives:
- Cornering was excellent, felt confident in negotiating corners.

- Braking was superb. Braking and stopping was the best among all the cars that I drove. All 4 disc brakes help.

- Acceleration: I didn't feel any lag, acceleration was quick.

- Engine Noise: Very low/zero inside cabin, outside also very minimal.

- Gear change was very smooth.

- I could notice only parking sensors for reversing, no camera though.

Suspension was little hard on local roads (same as GTO mentioned). Then sales guy requested me to accelerate which improved the smoothness, I don't know how this frequency selective damping works. But clearly shows there is intelligence.

Audio system: Good quality with 6 speakers, good low and high frequencies, I didn't try tuning anything. I heard from SA that speakers are from Alpine, ICU from UConnect.

Driving position and visibility: Good, I felt driver seat had good lumbar support and ergonomics wrt use of the clutch.

Inside space: Enough for 4 people and 12 year old, already discussed in detail earlier.

End of the drive I didn't feel like returning the car to him, instead wanted to drive more, but it was late for him, so I returned I’m waiting now

Last edited by GTO : 4th August 2017 at 08:45. Reason: Thanks for sharing, but too many language errors. Correcting
TopSpeeder is offline   (20) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:31   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
After three long hours at the showroom at trichy, Booked a Hydro Blue 4x2 Limited Diesel
@jpm - Congratulations - Very Different Color
Can you share your views and experiences about the Compass.
Was majority of the 3 hours spent with the Vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I didn't feel returning the car to him
- Cute - Nice - Thanks @TopSpeeder and Congratulations - Red is lovely !!

@GTO,

We are not asking Aditya to hurry the TBHP review - but can you share when will it be uploaded - My refresh key (TBHP forum tab) will get some respite.
Even FCA gave a date for the price announcement on the Compass !!

Last edited by PM - B : 3rd August 2017 at 22:45.
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:43   #1608
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
If broken roads are something that you go through daily, then Duster has the one of the best suspension setups that makes short work of such roads. That has been the general sentiment on this forum that Duster/Renault has one of the best suspensions tuned for broken Indian roads. Recently GTO has posted that the Hexa is on par/ even better than Duster in that department. So you can also take a look at Hexa which, IMO is one of the most VFM offerings in this price range at the moment. Only thing where Hexa loses out is it's size compared to other compact offerings.
You can wait for the report on the suspension setup of the Compass or even better, take a TD. Hexa will still win on the features per lakh count, but not everyone wants such a big vehicle. If that is the case, then definitely even the base Compass seems to be a better choice than the age old interiors/look of the Duster as well as the fit and finish and the engine seems to be a class apart on the Compass as compared to Duster.

Thank you so much for the advice. Shall take a TD soon. The volume of Hexa drawback on the roads I drive. By profession am an architect and a photographer, I shoot wildlife and nature. Hence need a compact vehicle that can be easily manoeuvred on narrow small roads in jungles. Shall take a TD of Compass and decide. The GC of 178mm (jeep people say this is the GC after loading, in actual its more. If some then how much more?) with approach angle of 17 degree is another issue for me. Duster AWD has impressive figures.

Thank you so much for the quick response
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:52   #1609
jpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
@jpm - Congratulations - Very Different Color
Can you share your views and experiences about the Compass.
Was majority of the 3 hours spent with the Vehicle?
Yeah. Got to see the actual difference between Longitude (O) (which was undergoing PDI in their yard)and the Limited. This comparison helped me finalize on the Limited but some negotiations went off which were further complicated by their system delay to get the receipt for my booking out!

As for the car, My frame of reference is The VW Vento
1. Compass is longer and taller than the vento but not much wider.
2. The switches, plastics all felt a notch better than the vento - durable and solid
3. 170BHP Diesel being absurdly more powerful compared to vento 1.6 TDi is evident.
4. Buttersmooth gearshifts
5. LED Pilot and Tail Lamps add to the muscle.
6. Compact dimensions didn't translate to a short turning radius. I had to do a 3 pointed turn in my places where my vento would have done comfortably.
7. Road Visibility is naturally superb from the driver seat.
8. I sincerely hope Compass doesnt turn into a poor politican's fortuner!
9. Audio system is of less quality than my vento but with better features.
10. Just thinking of Ski grey leather is giving me nightmares. Dont get me wrong, the seats are very comfortable but anyone with small children will know what i am talking about.
11. Engine noise much lower than vento.

Last edited by jpm : 3rd August 2017 at 22:53.
jpm is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 23:09   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
This comparison helped me finalize on the Limited

As for the car, My frame of reference is The VW Vento
Its always better to go for the top of the line version - Limited is very good.
Yes, the Compass is 11mm longer and 114 mm wider than the Vento but 174 mm taller.
Good to know that the heavy Compass feels powerful - as the Vento TDI is no slouch
Ah - The Audio could and should have been better !!

Quote:
10. Just thinking of Ski grey leather is giving me nightmares. Dont get me wrong,
For leather seats

Vacuum and blow the seats regularly for dust and debris

For cleaning stains and discoloration

1. Try using facial wipes.

2. Mix 1 Part Vinegar + 2 Parts Olive Oil - (you can add an essential oil to this for fragrance) put this in a bottle with a spray. - Spray lightly on the seat and let it sit for 5 minutes -then wipe of with an absorbent cloth - This should clean and condition.

3. For stubborn stains - inks - etc - Cotton dipped in Nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol and blot the stain. Then use a facial wipe / absorbent cloth dipped in warm water.

ALWAYS wipe of with clean / damp absorbent cloth.
PM - B is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 23:39   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktinanda View Post
The GC of 178mm (jeep people say this is the GC after loading, in actual its more. If some then how much more?)

I have seen this question posted a couple of times by different members, so let me answer this for everyone. Screenshot taken from the Overdrive comparison review.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-compass-gc.jpg
Source:

As per this review, the actual GC of the Jeep Compass is 208mm, which is more than the Hexa, XUV500, Tuscon etc.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 3rd August 2017 at 23:54.
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 07:05   #1612
BHPian

Hey folks,
Has anyone driven the Compass 1.4 Multiair Petrol with the 7-Speed DCT (automatic) variant? I would actually want to know on how the DCT gearbox is performing which is mated to the 1.4 Turbo-Petrol. I'm asking this question in particular because I haven't found any review of the automatic variant.

If anyone has driven it, then please share in your insights about this variant as we're planning to buy one in the above mentioned trim for my dad's friend and my dad is hell-bent on getting an automatic for his best friend. Have opted for inquiry yesterday on their official website but haven't received any call. It is either the Jeep or the Hexa in the automatic but my dad's friend is also inclined a bit towards the Creta AT and that's the fall-back option.

Thanks in advance,
Varun
Old 4th August 2017, 08:52   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post

There were 3 variants available for test drive : longitude, limited and limited (o) 4x4
Worth noting this, three variants for test drive. Even the leading brands doesn't do this. Seems FCA is going all out to ensure a grand success.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 09:45   #1614
BHPian

Hi guys, any updates on the sort of final on road prices that you were able to negotiate?
Especially with the massive variation between insurance costs and strange overheads such as logistics, RTO handling, accessories etc?
Old 4th August 2017, 09:51   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the advice. Shall take a TD soon. The volume of Hexa drawback on the roads I drive. By profession am an architect and a photographer, I shoot wildlife and nature. Hence need a compact vehicle that can be easily manoeuvred on narrow small roads in jungles. Shall take a TD of Compass and decide. The GC of 178mm (jeep people say this is the GC after loading, in actual its more. If some then how much more?) with approach angle of 17 degree is another issue for me. Duster AWD has impressive figures.

I'm reading this thread daily from the day it started. There are many things i love in the Compass, which are already detailed by other members here. I'll just focus on a couple of things that i find quite restrictive for the requirements of some of us who find AWD to be an integral part of anything that runs on at least 4 wheels.

Go for the Duster AWD, that's what you need IMO.
If the Jeep brand is what you desire, go for the Jeep. There's simply no replacement for that.

Make no mistake, Compass is a great package. But its only version that matters considering this is a CSUV, the Limited AWD, is 24lacs on-road. FCA did not overprice it but the mental barrier does act up. Plus there's also the Duster AWD @~15.5lacs on-road which would do everything the 4x2 versions of Compass could do plus most of what the AWD Compass would be put through. Everyone loves the Duster AWD for its capability & ride quality and loathes the interiors. Don't take my word for it, just go through the many Duster AWD travelogues here itself. Spend a lac on the interiors & transform it into the leather palace one desires. That'd still save ~8lacs.

I still can't get my head around that tall wall of plastic on Compass fascia which they call a bumper. 17 deg approach angle is an insult to the brand considering it's there even on the AWD variant. 178mm laden GC they might say but to me the GC will always remain the lowest point of the vehicle that could come in contact with the terrain. Here it is the super low front bumper. Even with that lip removed, the bumper line is still below running board level, correct me if wrong. And compare the same to any Duster or the Compass Trailhawk 4x4. Some say it's for hi-speed manners but have we ever come across any Dusters flying off the road due to its practical front bumper design?

I request those who checked the Compass in real to comment on the actual GC, that's the one from ground to bumper lip and to the bumper line.

A previous TBHP post even mentioned a test mule Compass scrapping over a speedbreaker which I'm sure was that bumper lip. Now imagine it as a tall enough stubborn rock on a narrow rutted path. I don't want to remove my front bumper & kick up the intercooler whenever i go off the road. No I'm not talking mudplugging or roack crawling but anywhere a Duster could go without mods is fine, & I'm not even bringing Thar or Bolero into the picture.

Why am I only mentioning the Duster AWD for comparison? Because no other brand makes any such packages under 15lacs. Bolero/Scorpio/etc doesn't count in Comfortable+Capable+Aspirational category. That's why i was rooting for Nexon AWD but they lost it as well.

I'm in no way dissing the Compass but as someone who gauges vehicles based on its capabilities, it's disturbing to find such restrictive design elements. I'm also of the kind that take the great pains to manually turn on the wipers, lamps & other such features inherent to the concept of driving. I definitely love the Compass for its stonker of an engine & its sweet interiors and would love to have it when the AWD variant enters used market at ~18 lacs & I'd definitely fix that bumper if I do.

Now don't take my head, this is what only Me, Myself & I feel.

Last edited by SandyX : 4th August 2017 at 09:53.
SandyX is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 10:07   #1616
BHPian

Wow. @SandyX, your post made me think again.
I was so into Duster that I almost bought it with something pulling me back probably the interiors and after sales/spares.
Now somehow I'm starting to lean towards THE Duster.
Old 4th August 2017, 10:17   #1617
BHPian

Quote:

Compass is miles ahead of Duster in terms of build quality and overall fit and finish.
The only areas Duster is preferable over Compass base version:
- Ride Quality - As per the initial reports
- Interior space - can accommodate 5 adults
- AWD system

Take a long TD of Compass to check the Ride Quality first hand. If you don't need that extra space and AWD system, I don't see any reason to go for Duster.
PS: My daily drive is Duster AWD

Last edited by C300 : 4th August 2017 at 10:23. Reason: Formatting
C300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 10:33   #1618
BHPian

Guys please help me out here. I had been searching for a C class for last 6 months and then the Compass came in. This for my Dad, he is 70 and loves to drive, and wanted an automatic, he lives in a small town where roads are bad, but 60% of his 10k kms per year usage is on beautiful highways. We had shortlisted on older gen X1 as I felt that would have been good for him, getting in and out, GC etc, but he likes a sedan and certainly the three pointed star. Now I have finally got a 2012 C250 cdi which also in our budget of 17 lakhs. In any case my Dad says that the 1.4 petrol auto of Compass is coming to 23.5 OTR, is out of budget. Is it worth it to stretch? What should I do.
Old 4th August 2017, 10:41   #1619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
But he likes a sedan and certainly the three pointed star. Now I have finally got a 2012 C250 cdi which also in our budget of 17 lakhs.

Is it worth it to stretch? What should I do.
If it's for him, better to get him what he wants. And the first two lines clearly say that the Compass is not what he wants. Get the Merc itself.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 10:44   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
We had shortlisted on older gen X1 as I felt that would have been good for him, getting in and out, GC etc, but he likes a sedan and certainly the three pointed star. Now I have finally got a 2012 C250 cdi which also in our budget of 17 lakhs. In any case my Dad says that the 1.4 petrol auto of Compass is coming to 23.5 OTR, is out of budget. Is it worth it to stretch? What should I do.
Haven't driven the Compass, but an all new car will be much easier to maintain for your father - especially as the roads he will face everyday are poor (barring those highway journeys).

That aside though, the old C250 is built like a rock and is a fantastic vehicle! Ride, handling, and performance will be better than a Compass; and also the 6L cheaper price tag will help to mitigate maintenance costs. Not to forget the better interiors and ambience that will be associated with the C Class.

Given the part in quotes above, it seems he has his heart set on the C making it a no-brainer; especially as you yourself have an E Class and are well versed with maintenance costs & service support that would be applicable to you.

Is this the variant with the 5 speed gearbox, or the 7 speed gearbox?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed