Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:13   #1591
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Just got a small test drive of Compass at the RDC Royale Showroom in Perungudi.
My impressions based on this small spin:

1. Solid build (Really solid and clean shut lines)

2. Compact Dimensions(smaller than City in length but bigger than the EcoSport)

3. Decent and Functional Interiors and Adequate Space
(not over spacious but good enough for 4 adults and a kid. Interiors are not a deal breaker in my opinion)

4. Very good ground clearance
(Don't know the exact number in mm but driver visibility was fantastic)

5. Excellent suspension (Ride quality improves with speed, i wanted a longer test drive just to enjoy this.)

6. Superb diesel engine
Pulls like a locomotive and i loved the performance. I am petrol engine guy but this diesel floored me.
Also, the gearshifts were very easy to execute and i enjoyed shifting gears
(If this gearbox is made available in Abarth Punto, it will become the perfect car for any purist!!)
The test drive was over too soon and i wanted to drive it again (maybe at a later date). The car has character and will surely appeal to the enthusiasts.

However, I feel that after the initial euphoria, the mass market may find it overpriced for the space on offer and might still end up buying a Creta as it is cheaper and still looks good and offers comparable space.
(My friend who accompanied me was all praises for the Compass but said that Creta is cheaper and has similar space, i had nothing to say and just wished him all the best for his Creta purchase.)
jvm_1986 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:19   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvm_1986 View Post
Just got a small test drive of Compass
5. Excellent suspension (Ride quality improves with speed
@jvm_1986 - Thanks for your feedback

How did you find the Compass handling at speed - for lane changes, holding speed in curves.

Specifically, (I know this is not a sedan) how would you rate it vis a vis your Fiesta & Laura for non straight line handling.
Share your perspective vs the above 2 sedans. not looking at space or interiors or features - purely mechanical, stability, handling.

Quote:
Pulls like a locomotive and i loved the performance. I am petrol engine guy but this diesel floored me.
This in spite of its heavy kerb weight - that is very good to hear.
I assume that all test drive vehicles are 4x2 and no 4x4s

Quote:
Also, the gearshifts were very easy to execute and i enjoyed shifting gears
Finally a FCA with a gearshift that is seemingly liked universally !!

Last edited by PM - B : 3rd August 2017 at 14:27.
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:40   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
@jvm_1986 - Thanks for your feedback

How did you find the Compass handling at speed - for lane changes, holding speed in curves.
Lane changes are easy by SUV standards
(Don't expect hot hatch type agility. It is a "heavy" car but lane changes are a fuss free affair)
I cant comment much on holding speed on curves as my drive was quite short. It is very sure footed and we should be able to hold good speeds on curves(Again, it is no corner carver like my Fiesta)
jvm_1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 15:32   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Requirement:- Diesel-Manual-No 4x4

Which is the most value for money variant leaving base Sport? Variant details in Jeep site shows every features in each variants.Do we have a list showing difference between variants?
Old 3rd August 2017, 15:58   #1595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

Which is the most value for money variant leaving base Sport? Variant details in Jeep site shows every features in each variants.Do we have a list showing difference between variants?
You can go for the Longitude (O) as it is decently well equipped. But compared to Limited (O), you will lose out the Leather seats and the BiXenon Headlights and the Reverse Camera.
Leather seats you can get done from outside for around 50K for good quality seats, so should save you a good bit of money.

My main criteria was 6 air bags and 4x4, so I went for the Limited (O) 4x4 . I am a fan of Bi-xenon headlights and wanted this too along with the Black roof, so I though it worthwhile to go for the LTD (O) version.

This is the official Jeep Compass with the details :
http://www.jeep-india.com/compass/specifications/
(Click the circles below to see the specific model wise feature set)

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd August 2017 at 16:11.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 15:59   #1596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

Which is the most value for money variant leaving base Sport?
I would suggest the Longitude (o) Reason - No essentials missing.

1. Alloy wheels
2. 7 inch U connect system with Android Auto and carplay
3. Dual Zone Climate Control
4. Projector headlamps
5 Rear parking sensors
6. Keyless entry and go.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 18:20   #1597
BHPian

Just one test drive today was enough to convince me to book this beauty on coming Monday, Planning to buy Exotic Red Longitude(O) Diesel 4x2.
TopSpeeder is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:11   #1598
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 Jeep Compass deliveries to start in India from August 6, 2017.
Quote:
The majority of the bookings, Jeep says, have been for the top-spec petrol automatic and the diesel 4x4.
link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd August 2017 at 19:12.
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:14   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Just one test drive today was enough to convince me to book this beauty on coming Monday, Planning to buy Exotic Red Longitude(O) Diesel 4x2.
Looks like anyone who had a test drive of the car has really liked it. I am yet to look at Compass because my head was around Tiguan and X1.
I wished they had a diesel AWD AT, can't wait till Jan!
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:16   #1600
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Just one test drive today was enough to convince me to book this beauty on coming Monday
Please share your test-drive observations here (as detailed as possible), so that it helps others .

Thank you.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:23   #1601
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can go for the Longitude (O) as it is decently well equipped. But compared to Limited (O), you will lose out the Leather seats and the BiXenon Headlights and the Reverse Camera.
I agree! And on that note, the fabric seat of the Longitude (O) is quite nice with dark shade of beige. The same colour leather (or black) would have been nicer in the Limited variant as well, instead of the whitish grey shade.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:40   #1602
BANNED

Need urgent advice

Have booked a Duster AWD and awaiting for delivery but in the lunch of Compass forcing me to rethink. I certainly can't afford the Compass limited version but can go for the Sports version that has a 2l engine.

I drive about 60 to 90 kms everyday on all kinds of roads. At times even drive on surfaces that can't be called road. For me good GC, driving comfort, stability and low maintenance costs are priority.

Kindly advise in making a decision between Duster AWD and Compass Sports.
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:47   #1603
BHPian

So I had a good look and a good test drive of the Compass the day before. Been busy hence could not post my views.

Hope it helps anyone now.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501775967.669952.jpg

The looks are certainly the first thing that attracts you towards the car. That iconic seven slat grille has a completely different pull.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501776026.887734.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501776042.905612.jpg

There were two variants on display, one longitude and one limited and both had different tail lights, but the one on the limited were far better.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501776096.092937.jpg

The central console, minimalistic and nothing too fancy about it. The console feels well built and durable.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501776190.661285.jpg

Lovely to hold that chunky steering wheel. That leather wrapping with contours is really brilliant.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501776243.938915.jpg

Good square muscular wheel arches.

Coming to the Drive :

There were 3 variants available for test drive : longitude, limited and limited (o) 4x4

Went for the limited 4x2 for the test drive.

Fire her up and apart from the initial clatter the engine settles into a nice muted thrum. You can only feel the diesel when you accelerate hard, else the noise insulation is fantastic.

The SA urged me to take the vehicle to a broken off beat road behind the showroom, and once there I was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality.

The faster it goes , the car just glides over the bumps and undulations on the road. The steering feedback was also very good with just the right amount of assistance in any conditions. The frequency selective dampers did their job very well and I was actually surprised over how much I could push the vehicle on what was a non existent road. I would have thought twice about it in other vehicles.

The in cabin comfort is top class. The AC performance as well was very good considering the car was parked in open sun.

Oodles of torque in any gear to pull the car. Just put the foot down and it races forward. Not very wildly, but it does shoot forward. Very stable ride whatever you might throw at it.

The only downside being those dummy buttons on the steering wheel.

But all in all very impressed with what is a very solid car mechanically and will definitely be in my sights when I decide to upgrade from Aria next year.

Last edited by akhil994 : 3rd August 2017 at 22:12. Reason: Steering feedback added
akhil994 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:56   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktinanda View Post
Need urgent advice

Have booked a Duster AWD and awaiting for delivery but in the lunch of Compass forcing me to rethink. I certainly can't afford the Compass limited version but can go for the Sports version that has a 2l engine.

I drive about 60 to 90 kms everyday on all kinds of roads. At times even drive on surfaces that can't be called road. For me good GC, driving comfort, stability and low maintenance costs are priority.

Kindly advise in making a decision between Duster AWD and Compass Sports.
If broken roads are something that you go through daily, then Duster has the one of the best suspension setups that makes short work of such roads. That has been the general sentiment on this forum that Duster/Renault has one of the best suspensions tuned for broken Indian roads. Recently GTO has posted that the Hexa is on par/ even better than Duster in that department. So you can also take a look at Hexa which, IMO is one of the most VFM offerings in this price range at the moment. Only thing where Hexa loses out is it's size compared to other compact offerings.
You can wait for the report on the suspension setup of the Compass or even better, take a TD. Hexa will still win on the features per lakh count, but not everyone wants such a big vehicle. If that is the case, then definitely even the base Compass seems to be a better choice than the age old interiors/look of the Duster as well as the fit and finish and the engine seems to be a class apart on the Compass as compared to Duster.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 3rd August 2017 at 22:12.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:18   #1605
jpm
BHPian

After three long hours at the showroom at trichy, Booked a Hydro Blue 4x2 Limited Diesel without a second test drive even.

After some fumble up in the prices initially quoted, the kind people at FCA made it up with sweeteners. 7500INR Accessories for free and nil dep insurance.

Super excited. Should be delivered by first week of September.

--------
I saw at least several families in the showroom checking out the compass. IN the time I was there, another confirmed booking for Limited (o) was scored! So i guess FCA must be riding the waves.

Last edited by jpm : 3rd August 2017 at 22:20. Reason: clean up
jpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed