Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 14:15   #1636
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I don't know how well the Compass is rated in terms of safety and we all know thicker sheet metal does not necessarily guarantee a safer car. That said if you are calling Duster crap just because it comes with two airbags, what about Compass? barring 4x4 model rest all come with 2 airbags. It gets some more safety kit but then also costs a lot more. Its similar to comparing BMW X1 with Compass and abusing Compass because it is not as safe as X1.
Compass is a good package but comparing it with Creta/Duster or X1/Q3 is not the right thing to do. Ideally all comparison should be within same price range(Tuscon, Hexa, Innova etc.)
I hope you know that Duster installed smaller air bags on Indian cars that don't protect occupants from head injuries. So, here you go...!!!

Duster in an unsafe car. Cheap Dacia resold with premium pricing while cutting cost on every single corner - safety, plastics, features. Genetically much inferior to compass - no comparison.
5kmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 14:20   #1637
BHPian

Mouth watering price indeed, can't wait for official Team Bhp review. The Compass website provided links to some reviews. So just wondering when our own review will come up.
Old 4th August 2017, 14:21   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
Are you considering a diesel or petrol automatic ? Going ahead we are quite tilted towards buying a petrol automatic & if it has AWD capabilities , it would really be icing on the cake .
Diesel Automatic that is , sorry should have clarified that in the post

Petrol automatic with AWD would have serious FE concerns though. Anyway since my replacement is an year away, so I have time. Till that time I have to focus on the Nexon

And if TATA also prices it well, then my garage would have both the Nexon and the Compass by next year. Let's see.

Last edited by akhil994 : 4th August 2017 at 14:32.
Old 4th August 2017, 14:35   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
I hope you know that Duster installed smaller air bags on Indian cars that don't protect occupants from head injuries. So, here you go...!!!

Duster in an unsafe car. Cheap Dacia resold with premium pricing while cutting cost on every single corner - safety, plastics, features. Genetically much inferior to compass - no comparison.
Exactly my point, its not fair comparing Compass to Duster(please read my earlier post) and same holds true for Compass v/s X1. If I was to compare Compass with X1 same thoughts echo in my mind. Lot of cost cutting in Compass- Safety(just 2 airbags in majority models), plastics,features. Much inferior to X1.

I really don't know the dimensions of airbag that comes in each car mate. But being rated 3 stars(for driver airbag only model) I cannot accept Duster as an unsafe car. Would love to drive a 5 star safety rated car but then how many cars that are sold in India are 5 star rated?
Old 4th August 2017, 14:47   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
That's a bit harsh IMO. We don't have many options to chose from. Which other car has scored 3/4 stars in GNCAP? Creta??
Old 4th August 2017, 15:08   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktinanda View Post
Thank you for the review sir, Certainly the fit and finish is way ahead of what Renault is offering but the basic purpose of a vehicle that am looking for isn't their in Compass. Compass is a fancy occasional off roader at an affordable price in my opinion. Not for someone like me who drive regularly on all kinds of road and no roads.

Shall do a test drive of Compass today but don't that will change my mind from duster AWD unless it shows some miracles.
Why don't you consider a ISUZU V-Cross 4x4? I think it fits your requirement perfectly.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:15   #1642
BHPian

Test drove the Compass and tried simulating most driving scenarios it will be subjected to by my younger brother who was the first one to book it here. I would say for self driving Compass is the choice and one shouldn't mind paying 2-3 lak premium over a Duster or a Creta. Why because with Compass one is getting a vehicle from the next segment in terms of features like,
1.The E parking brake was hassle free and once used to it will be hard to use a normal parking lever.
2. Dual Zone AC was fantastic in its cooling as well maintaining different temperatures for driver and front passenger with outside temperature hovering around the 36deg mark.
3. NVH was fantastic, try taking it into middle of a busy traffic junction and roll down any window to observe that.
Yes the rear seats are not that comfortable because of the backrest angle, and the tyres seemed little lacking in grip on hard braking from unmentionable speeds but overall it elevates the driving experience to the next segment because of the taught build and that lovely suspension. Noticed that after i drove it on a broken tarmac at reasonable speeds and found no unwanted noise from the suspension or unwanted body movements for people inside.
So Longitude (O) white it is for my brother with delivery scheduled sometime next week.

Last edited by damodar : 4th August 2017 at 15:30.
damodar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 15:28   #1643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Why don't you consider a ISUZU V-Cross 4x4? I think it fits your requirement perfectly.
He wanted smaller size. VCross is one of the largest cars on the road, as even the 7 series and S class type of vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
So Longitude (O) white it is for my brother with delivery scheduled sometime next week.
Looks like Longitude (o) is certainly the most popular choice of variant.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:28   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Test drove the Compass
@damodar - thank you for your feedback & Congratulations on the booking !! What Color?

Quote:
the rear seats are not that comfortable because of the backrest angle,
Can you elaborate on this - was uncomfortable for short durations - long durations ?

Quote:
unmentionable speeds but overall it elevates the driving experience to the next segment
Please please do share how easy is it for this Vehicle to attain and maintain speed and also in relation to which vehicle was used as a standard / benchmark? Did the engine appear strained and if so at what RPM gear?

Is in gear acceleration good for all gears?
How is the overall gearing?
Also did you check out its turning radius? How did you find it in U turns? - The overall length of the Compass is nothing great - but steering geometry dictates!
Any other views you have on the drivability?

Last edited by PM - B : 4th August 2017 at 15:31.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 15:35   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
@damodar - thank you for your feedback & Congratulations on the booking !! What Color?

Can you elaborate on this - was uncomfortable for short durations - long durations ?

Please please do share how easy is it for this Vehicle to attain and maintain speed and also in relation to which vehicle was used as a standard / benchmark? Did the engine appear strained and if so at what RPM gear?

Is in gear acceleration good for all gears?
How is the overall gearing?
Also did you check out its turning radius? How did you find it in U turns? - The overall length of the Compass is nothing great - but steering geometry dictates!
Any other views you have on the drivability?
@PM - B: You need to get a test drive ASAP
aviraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 15:57   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this - was uncomfortable for short durations - long durationsrev
Please please do share how easy is it for this Vehicle to attain and maintain speed and also in relation to which vehicle was used as a standard / benchmark?

Also did you check out its turning radius? How did you find it in U turns?
Well the backrest was a bit too upright and felt it could have been a bit more reclined for long trips.
The engine is quite free revving and unlike the duster 110 which lacks low end punch this one pulls linearly. Actually the vehicle gets upto speed with minimal throttle and its effortless in that sense. Keep upshifting and its in three digit speeds in no time. No strain from the engine, in fact no need to rev the engine to attain high speeds, but if you do it just shoots forward in an addictive manner.
In gear acceleration was again effortless, this is a big engine and even if you lift of the throttle completely the engine maybe due to a heavy flywheel keeps pushing forward.
Yes the turning radius is a bit large but felt it to be at par with Linea in first impression so manageable in that sense.

Last edited by damodar : 4th August 2017 at 15:58.
damodar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 16:15   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
@PM - B: You need to get a test drive ASAP
Currently I want to live vicariously.
Hence all these questions. Do humor me please.
Old 4th August 2017, 16:35   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Currently I want to live vicariously.
Hence all these questions. Do humor me please.
If you have the budget,happy with the space/size on offer and importantly if it suits your need, you should just go and book the car. A test drive will only reassure your decision.
Old 4th August 2017, 16:50   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoheb View Post
Waiting for them to get back with what exactly is available in that 25k [/b]
Any update on 25K Accessories details, also 10k handling charges? Limited(O) is already fully loaded, what else they are providing for 25K?

Last edited by abhi1881 : 4th August 2017 at 17:16.
Old 4th August 2017, 17:00   #1650
Team-BHP Support

I’ve read some posts about how the Compass is going to badly “hit” some products. Personally, I feel that even if the Compass is a runaway hit, its not going to significantly hit any single product. And that’s mostly because of the kind of niche the Jeep fills. On a related note, I thought I’d pen down my thoughts on how the Compass compares to some of the possible alternatives which are either cheaper, comparable price or more expensive than the Compass. This might be either based on body shape (SUV); capability (4x4) or price point.

For most part my analysis is based on the 4x4 diesel option although it briefly touches upon the 4x2 AT as well.

What the Compass has:
  • SUV body shape;
  • Compact form factor;
  • Well priced (in a sense although this is relative of course);
  • Proper 4x4 capability

What the Compass doesn’t have
  • Full fat SUV / MUV body shape;
  • 4x4 A/T (for now)
  • Soft roader size like that of XUV / Tucson order – it’s a clear size smaller.
  • A big boot
  • 7 seats

Note: The above is not a pro and con list. Simply factual on what it is and isn’t. What it offers may not be a draw for everyone. What it doesn’t offer may not be a con either. Some may in fact prefer what it doesn’t offer.

Products which might be compared to the Compass and how it stacks up

1. Duster

What you get: Better ride quality, comparable 4x4 manual creds; slightly better space as a 5 seater; bigger boot; all at a significantly cheaper price.

What you lose: Simply not in the same league on finish, feel good factor and quality of interiors. Significantly less powerful engine – a full class and a half below. Jeep has better aspirational brand value too I guess, Duster is an aging product.

If you must have 4x4 but want to spend a lot less than Jeep money, this is probably the most likely option (Scorpio and V Cross being the other two options).

2. Creta

What you get: Established reliable brand with predictable after sales service; decent interiors, comparable interior space (perhaps a tad better). Significantly cheaper price. Option of diesel AT (although Jeep will have this soon as well). For petrol A/T the significantly extra money for Compass gets you a more powerful engine.

What you lose: 4x4 capability.

3. Hexa

What you get: Much better ride quality; full fat MUV; 7 seat capability; diesel AT but without 4x4 for now; all at a cheaper price tag.

What you lose: Advantage of compact size if that is what is important to you. Better gearbox in the 4x4 manual (I think).

4. XUV 5OO

What you get: Option of 7 seats but at cost of boot space; better interior space; better boot space with 5 seats; AWD diesel A/T option although its not comparable to Compass 4x4 setup.

What you don’t: A 4x4 that has the same level of capability as the Compass. Quality wise the Jeep seems better fit and finished. More powerful engine in the Compass (although XUV will be catching up on this soon).

5. Isuzu MUX

What you get: Full fat SUV; 7 seat capability; diesel AT with 4x4 capability, all at only a slightly higher price.

What you lose: Advantage of compact size if that is what is important to you. Interiors of Compass are better.

6. Tucson

What you get: Plush 5 seater soft road SUV with more comfortable seating, bigger and more practical boot, established reliable brand with predictable after sales. Option of diesel AT (until Compass launches this option)

What you lose: No 4x4 capability; Significant price premium.

7. Tiguan

What you get: Everything that Jeep offers in A/T guise combined with better interior finish, slightly better space (reclining rear seats etc); bigger boot; sun roof. Overall a more comfortable version of the Jeep with the added benefit of diesel A/T.

What you lose: Less powerful engine; significantly higher price tag; no manual 4x4 option.

8. D segment sedans

Some D segment sedan buyers may also consider the Compass. In my mind the choice is simple – Compass offers 4x4 capability and SUV shape in a decent package at the expenses of lesser rear seat comfort, boot space etc than most similar priced sedan counterparts like Octy, Altis, Elantra.

To my mind, the Compass is a niche model that offers bits and bobs of what some products offer in a different format. I also assume that D-AT option will soon be available. For this reason, I believe no single product will face the heat on account of the Jeep launch as it will attract niche customers considering it as an alternative to many different products.

Many may consider the extra money for 4x2 petrol AT not worth it over the Creta. Others may consider the 4x4 diesel capability worth the spend over the Duster. Some may only want the Hexa since it offers more car per rupee spent. Others (like me) may consciously prefer the compactness of the Compass. To each his own.
Axe77 is offline   (31) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks