Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 12:04   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

I visited the Bangalore showroom yesterday. The car looked great. The fit and finish are very premium but as Suraj25 pointed out, it is a 4 seater. The rear middle seat is not designed to accommodate the extra passenger. The under thigh support is missing and the arm rest juts out making back support slightly difficult.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2017 at 15:00. Reason: Typos.
2000rpm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th August 2017, 12:11   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Wait for the Jeep Renegade. If overseas pricing is anything to go buy, Renegade will be 15-20% cheaper than Compass. So prices could start 12 L OTR. That would be a more logical upgrade for an Ecosporter
Or... hold on to Ecosport for another year or two & then buy pre-worshipped Compass at 25-40% discount
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:12   #1713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Engine pulls well, but very linear. It's got some amount of lag till 1,800 rpm but starts pulling well after that. The diesel 'punch' that you get in the VW 1.6 is missing and it doesn't feel like 170 bhp. Maybe it is tuned to be linear on purpose but I'd prefer a little more shove in the midrange.
The performance is decent, but not very exciting. 0-100 of 4WD diesel Compass is 11.9 seconds. I expect 4x2 version to be little faster. I have driven 4x2 TD car and performance was very similar to stock 1.6 S-Cross. But, the low end was much better with very linear power delivery.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:13   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Happened to visit the FCA showroom in Domlur, Bangalore today.
Thanks for the detailed report. To each his own, but the one thing that struck me was the apology of an approach angle on a so-called legendary SUV Desperately awaiting the launch of Trailhawk!
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jc.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 6th August 2017 at 12:17.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:49   #1715
BHPian

Adding a panoramic sunroof and cruise control to limited(O) at a slight premium over the existing prices would make limited (O) more desirable and vfm according to me. A bi xenon setup at 84k more doesn't justify the increment over the prices of limited variant.

Also, cruise control buttons would mean no more dummy buttons and that would do away with the gripe most people may be having at the moment. Sunroof shall anyway give it a more premium feel inside, which I think is somewhat lacking.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 13:20   #1716
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Jeep Compass yesterday at Pride showroom in Jubilee Hills.

Never seen the showroom this busy.

My RM from Nexa has moved to Jeep now and he was the one who arranged the test drive.

Deliveries are commencing on Monday for the diesel variant and Petrol deliveries is expected to start only from October.

Obviously there was no Petrol TD vehicle. Longitude (O) was the TD variant I got. The entire TD was in city roads and the max speed attained was 60KMPH.

The following are my observations from the TD and showroom visit:
  • While the car feels huge, it drive like a hatchback in the city. The steering is a joy to use and the car is easily manoeuvrable in city traffic. The steering is on the meaty side and might not be convenient to use for women driver. Also the self-centering action is a bit on the stronger side.
  • The suspension absorbs the many undulations on Hyderabad roads pretty well and the noise is well contained.
  • AC is a chiller with two Zone climate control, but Auto AC is available only from Longitude (O) and above. The lower variants have manual AC, with rear vents. Rear vents don't have volume control. While the auto-AC controls the rear blower volume based on set temperature, the manual AC has no such option.
  • Sport variant comes with all-black interiors, Longitude with black and beige interirors, while Limited comes with black and white interiors. While the interiors and seat covers in Limited variant looks premium, I feel the interiors of Sport variant is better than Longitude variant.
  • Front seats are super-supportive and will be a pleasure to use during long drives. Rear seats are good too - under-thigh support is excellent, not for the middle though.
  • Boot space is rated at 490L, but I didn't feel that it was significantly different compared to my Baleno which has a 340L boot. Boot gets two lamps
  • While the 2.0L multijet has sufficient power and torque to move the vehicle, managing the vehicle in slow-moving traffic might be difficult as the car is very eager to pull forward in the second gear, even without any accelerator inputs. This might require downshifting to 1st gear in such cases else a possibility of stalling in 2nd gear under braking.
  • Didn't explore too much on audio quality. The speakers were decent, but the source was FM radio and that is not a good one for judging the audio quality.
  • Ground clearance is good enough and the slightly stiffer suspension ensures that there will be no bottom scraping, even in the Bengaluru speed-breakers that can launch you to the moon. That said, this one shouldn't be used as an offroader. There is a significant overhang before the front wheels and the approach angle is not that great too.
  • The showroom had White, Red and Silver on display. The Jeep looked magnificent in White, sporty in Red and boring in Silver.

Finally, I feel that it is well priced and the Sport variant is good enough for those seeking a manual transmission and a premium vehicle within a limited budget
dheepak10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 13:35   #1717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Happened to visit the FCA showroom in Domlur, Bangalore today.

There was just one Red Longitude model on display which looked like getting mauled by the excited visitors.

There was one Black wrangler and wine red Grand Cherokee SRT which were also attracting few eyeballs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Had some time, so went over to the Jeep Showroom earlier today. They had 6 models on display and all colours except the Blue.
Quite surprised reading through two consecutive posts. Both supported with pictures.

How can they have all six models on display at one point? And only one Compass + Wrangler + SRT at another point of time on the same day? Both at the same Bangalore showroom?

uday.ere: Did you visit the Domlur showroom itself?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th August 2017 at 13:37.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 13:40   #1718
BHPian

A very cute review of the Compass

S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 13:41   #1719
BHPian

The electric handbrake query

Dears
I normally use the handbrake method to start off on inclines or ramps. With the handbrake engaged, slot into first, release the clutch slowly till the nose of the car rises a bit and gradually lower the handbrake for a smooth crawl up the ramp or slope. With the electric handbrake on the compass, how is the feel like? Does it do a "jhatka" or "sudden" release or does it gradually disengage? Can I use the electric handbrake in a similar fashion on slopes? I mean its just a switch : 0/1
Old 6th August 2017, 13:42   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
... the one thing that struck me was the apology of an approach angle on a so-called legendary SUV Desperately awaiting the launch of Trailhawk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
...this one shouldn't be used as an offroader. There is a significant overhang before the front wheels and the approach angle is not that great too.
The rated approach and departure angles at 30 and 34 degrees respectively are decent enough for its use as a softroader. It is not intended to be used for hard core offroading.
Although the unladen ground clearance is a healthy 221mm, due to Govt regulations, the laden ground clearance (with 4 people and 90% full tank) needs to be reported which is at 178mm.

The rubber overhang in front should not be a cause for concern wrt approach angle. It is flexible and its purpose is to reduce aerodynamic drag and aid in better fuel efficiency.
Old 6th August 2017, 13:45   #1721
BHPian

Re: The electric handbrake query

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Dears
I normally use the handbrake method to start off on inclines or ramps. With the handbrake engaged, slot into first, release the clutch slowly till the nose of the car rises a bit and gradually lower the handbrake for a smooth crawl up the ramp or slope. With the electric handbrake on the compass, how is the feel like? Does it do a "jhatka" or "sudden" release or does it gradually disengage? Can I use the electric handbrake in a similar fashion on slopes? I mean its just a switch : 0/1
Compass has hill start assist in all variants, you won't need to use handbreak.
S.MJet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 14:26   #1722
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The rated approach and departure angles at 30 and 34 degrees respectively are decent enough for its use as a softroader. It is not intended to be used for hard core offroading.

Although the unladen ground clearance is a healthy 221mm, due to Govt regulations, the laden ground clearance (with 4 people and 90% full tank) needs to be reported which is at 178mm.

The rubber overhang in front should not be a cause for concern wrt approach angle. It is flexible and its purpose is to reduce aerodynamic drag and aid in better fuel efficiency.

The approach angle is 17 degrees and the unladen GC is 206 as per my knowledge. In my opinion the overhang rubber in front should have been more closer to the wheels which would have resulted better approach angle ( please mark the similar kind of design in ranger rover, very effectively placed ). I don't understand the science of aerodynamic logic here. As far as my knowledge of physics goes the rubber in front will act as air barrier and may build upward air pressure beneath the front part of the vehicle. (Just like pilots pull the wing flaps and elevators downwards to build up upward air pressure in aeroplanes for take up.) Off course this design may reduce the friction with road and help gaining fuel efficiency.
Old 6th August 2017, 14:30   #1723
Distinguished - BHPian

According to a whatsapp forward, they are delivering 60 Jeep Compasses today in Hyderabad.

PS: Sorry for the inverted video, that's how I got it on whatsapp.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 14:39   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How can they have all six models on display at one point? And only one Compass + Wrangler + SRT at another point of time on the same day? Both at the same Bangalore showroom?
Plain and simple, because, I had been to the FCA showroom in Mysore (Urs Kars).

Regarding the essential kit (priced at 8.5k) I was told that the floor mats are 4k and mud flaps are 3 or 3.5k and other stuff like perfume, idol etc is included. Feels preposterous to pay so much for those.

I also asked if they could source the 8.4 U connect system for us and was told they will check and revert ( atleast they didnt say 'not possible' as I was expecting.)

Cheers,
Uday

Last edited by uday.ere : 6th August 2017 at 14:44.
uday.ere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 14:41   #1725
BHPian

Is it just me, Dont they look gangsta from this perspective?
The headlamp fog lamp grill combo !! Confident Sure
Name:  2.PNG
Views: 5941
Size:  98.6 KB

My bad - looks gansta IMO straight on too. Just had not given it much thought earlier.

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 5855
Size:  230.7 KB

Last edited by PM - B : 6th August 2017 at 14:48.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed